Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,165 Members 38,184 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung's Lag Fix

Tip us?

kennethpenn
Old
Retired Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3,795

DONATE TO ME
Default Samsung's Lag Fix

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=762109

Can we replicate this on the Captivate? I've been playing around with my new Epic for a few days and it is AMAZINGLY fast. This is supposed to be the lag fix that Sammy employed on the Epic.

_Opiate_
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I knew it was just a matter of time until Samsung took action against the lag problem. I mean they wouldn't want their big, bad, and fast galaxy s line slowed to a screeching halt because of lag issues. I wouldn't be surprised if we see this in an update in the near future. With Samsungs track recored though they might end up waiting for Froyo to emplement it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App
Nexus One (AT&T 3G)
HTC Aria AT&T
Samsung Captivate AT&T
Samsung Vibrant - SIM Unlocked on AT&T
Samsung GalaxyTab (AT&T)
HTC Inspire 4G
Samsung Galaxy S II Int. - Factory Unlocked (AT&T)
Galaxy Nexus GSM

shep211
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 294

DONATE TO ME
We have a nand lag fix already right? Wouldn't this give the same results? I thought the ext 2 internal storage lag fix was faster the the nand fix.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...t=nand+lag+fix

TexUs
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I'm no dev but I think this is the same thing that's already been implemented by the community (for that matter, Samsung probably got the fix from the community )

l7777
Old
Thanks Meter 78
From what most have gathered, samsung didn't fix the lag, they used different hardware that is faster. That will do no good for captivate and vibrant users.

TexUs
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by l7777 View Post
From what most have gathered, samsung didn't fix the lag, they used different hardware that is faster. That will do no good for captivate and vibrant users.
What the heck?
A) It uses the same hardware that matters anyway (granted LED, keyboard, etc is different).
B) Someone pulled the init.rc and proved what the OP is saying
C) You don't know what you're talking about

naxir
Old
Thanks Meter 7
is there a good reference for the mapping of /dev/? or the whole file system in general? I went to see if busybox had a symlink for bash and much to my surprise there was no /bin. I'm new to android but a long time linux user and the differences are becoming readily apparent.

ranova
Old
Thanks Meter 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by l7777 View Post
I wouldn't go as far to say that. Everything is the same internally other than how the file system is setup, and in this case they are using the NAND (I believe).

From Boygeniusreport:
"We’re assuming the phone uses NAND Flash as the internal memory medium. On the Captivate if you navigate to Settings >SD Card and phones storage you see “External SD Card” and “Internal SD Card” listed. On the EPIC you see “External SD Card” and “Internal Phone storage.” We’ve reached out to Sprint for clarification and will update this article if they respond with a definitive answer."
Source: http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...ions-answered/

SiL3nTKiLL
Old
Thanks Meter 67
same hardware, different software...just minor things different
Phones:
1. Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
2. iPhone 4S
Tabs:
Apple iPad 2
Galaxy Tab 10.1

Krynn!
Old
Thanks Meter 9
The Epic is missing the 16gb internal SD card... the SD card that Samsung has split into 2GB for apps and 14GB for /sdcard for the rest of the US Galaxy S devices (no idea how the EU phones are set up). As a result, it has far less space for apps, but it more than makes up for it in speed.

About the only thing that I think Samsung can do to improve speed on the rest of the Galaxy S phones is to either work like hell to come up with a better driver for the internal SD card, or to accept a massive limitation in app space and build in the original lag fix.

I'm hoping it's just a driver issue... when copying a 1GB file to and from my /sdcard using the USB mass storage mode, I sometimes see 10+ megs per second, and sometimes see >1 meg per second. This is with my phone sitting idle, nothing else going on at all (except for OS Monitor, so I can see what's going on). That leads me to believe that it's either a driver problem or the internal SD card is the world's crappiest. Seeing as everything else on the phone is very nice hardware, and seeing how the GPS and compass drivers have issues as well, I'm kinda (and maybe foolishly) thinking that it's probably a driver issue. We'll see.