FORUMS

Vinsic Doosl FM Transmitter Review – Accessory Review

A lot of vehicles come with stereos featuring Bluetooth connectivity. This … more

Nexus & Cookies: A More Focused Direction?

It is that time of the year again, and we are approaching the day where Android fans all over … more

LG G4 US Carrier Release Dates

The LG G4 was announced on April 29th with its Snapdragon 808 SoC, a welcomed change from its higher-end … more

Microsoft Reaches Pre-Install Agreement With New OEMs

As of late, Microsoft has been making a subtle but widespread play into the … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Seems like whatsapp is serious into getting onto our phones

24th August 2010, 12:39 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 114
 
More
Those in the whatsapp beta for Android should update your software ASAP, because they just put in push functionality for everyone with a 2.2 phone. Is this the only software so far not from google to actually use the 2.2 push function? (C2DM and the likes do not count)
 
 
24th August 2010, 01:32 PM |#2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
how is it different to what its doing now?? i shall update soon after i finish charging
24th August 2010, 01:42 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 114
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JexL

how is it different to what its doing now?? i shall update soon after i finish charging

It doesn't poll like the old version anymore, and after some testing, I am getting my messages a little faster, because there is usually a 10-20 second delay when the app is sleeping, but this time it's like a 2-3 second after my friend sends me the text via whatsapp.
24th August 2010, 01:59 PM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
ahh right so there would be better battery life too??
24th August 2010, 02:22 PM |#5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Is the beta app available? Have they mentioned a release date?

Thanks

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App
24th August 2010, 02:50 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Whatsapp is probably one of the most useful apps for someone coming from a blackberry and misses BBMs. The difference is the speed but the main upside is that it's crossplatformed. Also the app is good for people that travel and have an open wifi spot. Free messaging to friends back home is well worth it.
24th August 2010, 03:51 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 114
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JexL

ahh right so there would be better battery life too??

Definitely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotdatglow

Is the beta app available? Have they mentioned a release date?

Thanks

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

Nope, but it should be within the next few months, it's already very stable other than some of the extra stuff like backgrounds, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwnstyle21

Whatsapp is probably one of the most useful apps for someone coming from a blackberry and misses BBMs. The difference is the speed but the main upside is that it's crossplatformed. Also the app is good for people that travel and have an open wifi spot. Free messaging to friends back home is well worth it.

Yeah, since I have quite a few friends with an iphone and BB, I'm able to send them messages via my data plan.
24th August 2010, 03:55 PM |#8  
bcpk's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
AppBrain's Fastweb Installer uses C2DM too for installation of applications from your PC browser.

Anything that uses C2DM is immediately interesting, I'll check it out!
24th August 2010, 05:02 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag Essex
Thanks Meter: 37
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpix

Those in the whatsapp beta for Android should update your software ASAP, because they just put in push functionality for everyone with a 2.2 phone. Is this the only software so far not from google to actually use the 2.2 push function? (C2DM and the likes do not count)

I believe Pingchat uses push notifications. Works well on my Desire.
24th August 2010, 05:20 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 114
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abandoned-Trolley

I believe Pingchat uses push notifications. Works well on my Desire.

It's not using the same type of 2.2 push unfortunately.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes