Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q]Connecting WiFi in a school network?

OP darkamikaze

25th August 2010, 12:35 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Candyland
Thanks Meter: 167

1,464 posts
More
My college has it's own wifi broadcasting throughout the campus. Before you can access the web though you are prompted (usually) to sign in when you first open the browser.

It seems the Android browser won't go to that page resulting me in a no network connection when I go on my browser..

Is there anyway I can get around that?
25th August 2010, 02:56 AM   |  #2  
Flag Boise, ID
Thanks Meter: 12

113 posts
More
Could you use a computer's browser to find the url of the page and enter it into the android browser? Aside from that, I think that the only other way would be to sign in on another device and then clone its mac address.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App
25th August 2010, 03:33 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Candyland

1,464 posts
More
lol I actually tried that! it didn't load .. worked for my laptop before though..which made me sad when it didn't work.

I'm home now so I'll try installing Dolphin to try and see if Dolphin will pick up the login screen :x
25th August 2010, 03:42 AM   |  #4  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 10

302 posts
More
Did you try using other browsers like dolphin and opera. I know that when I'm at a hotel or a mall i have to put in any address first(like google.com) and then i get redirected to the said page.
If I were you I would try to contact the IT department. I'm sure they could fix it within a day or two considering its a college and that android is such an ez platform to develop in
25th August 2010, 04:57 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Candyland

1,464 posts
More
yea.. i wasn't able to download Dolphin at school because my primary building has some AWFUL reception. lol I'll try again tomorrow.
25th August 2010, 06:13 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 7

129 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkamikaze

My college has it's own wifi broadcasting throughout the campus. Before you can access the web though you are prompted (usually) to sign in when you first open the browser.

It seems the Android browser won't go to that page resulting me in a no network connection when I go on my browser..

Is there anyway I can get around that?

I connect to hotel wifi all the time, where they also redirect you to a login page before you can go anywhere else. But, the redirection happens automatically when you open the browser and try to go to any site. And, I am using the stock browser.
25th August 2010, 06:43 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 113

1,030 posts
There may be an alternate way to set up your connection... Does your school provide any instructions on connecting to the wireless via linux? (because i used those instructions to connect to my uni wireless).

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread