Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[GUIDE] Universal AndRoot - 1-click root (works on MyTouch 3G 1.2)

OP candymanmike

25th August 2010, 08:09 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Orting, WA
Thanks Meter: 4

46 posts
More
This is a guide on how to root your phone and install a custom ROM using Universal AndRoot. It supports several phone models and is the simplest way to root a phone I have ever seen. It features a 1 click root and a 1 click unroot option. Rooting with this method does NOT affect your bootloader, therefore if your phone needs serviced you can (theoretically, I have not verified this to be true) simply unroot and restore to normal.

As always myself, XDA, ROM developers, your friends, your mom, the rulers of the world and the developers of this app are NOT responsible for any bricks YOU create by taking the risk of rooting your phone. Also there are no guarantees that your warranty will not be null and void. If you NEED your warranty, DO NOT root your phone. Use at your own risk!

Quote:

SUPPORTED DEVICE LIST

Google Nexus One (2.2)
Google G1 (1.6)
HTC Hero (2.1)
HTC Magic (1.5) (Select Do not install Superuser)
HTC Magic 1.2 (1.6)
HTC Tattoo (1.6)
Dell Streak (2.1)
Motorola Milestone (2.1)
Motorola XT701
Motorola XT800 (2.1)
Motorola ME511
Motorola Charm
Motorola Droid (2.01/2.1/2.2 with FRG01B)
Sony Ericsson X10 (1.6)
Sony Ericsson X10 Mini (1.6)
Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro (1.6)
Acer Liquid (2.1)
Acer beTouch E400 (2.1)
Samsung Galaxy Beam
Samsung galaxy 5 (gt-i5500)
Vibo A688 (1.6)
Lenovo Lephone (1.6)
LG GT540 (1.6)
Gigabyte GSmart G1305

First we will gather the items needed to complete this process.
Universal AndRoot Version 1.6.1 is the newest STABLE release. The newest version is 1.6.2 beta 5, which is where the updated list above comes from and is said to be very close to the final release version.
Next go to the Android Market and install AppInstaller (there are a few versions including appsInstaller by modmymobile, all are free)
While in the market, also grab ROM Manager (also free)
Next download the ROM you would like to use. I personally recommend CyanogenMod 6.0.0 DS - stable. This link will take you to the Cyanogen downloads section where you will have to select your phone and search for the ROM you want.
While you are there, also grab the Google Addon pack for your phone.
Of course it is up to you to choose a ROM you like. You can also keep your stock ROM if you choose.

Lets Begin!
Install the Universal AndRoot .apk file, the ROM you chose and the Google Addon to the root of your microSD card

Open AppInstaller and let it locate your AndRoot .apk on your microSD. Select it and install it to your phone.

Open Universal AndRoot from you app menu. It should read your phone and show your firmware version. Click the "Root" button and let it do it's thing. It really only takes a minute or 2. When finished it will let you know. Congratulations, at this point you are now rooted.

Now for a custom ROM!

Open ROM Manager. Install Recovery. The default recovery for ROM Manager is ClockworkMod Recovery (which is what I am using) but a lot of people seem to like RA Recovery. This option is at the bottom of ROM Manager under "Flash Alternate Recovery". Whichever you choose, let the Recovery flash.

Next choose "Backup Current ROM", then "Reboot Into Recovery" (for future reference, you can also get into recovery mode by turning your phone off, then hold down the "home" button hit the power button. continue hold home as it powers on.)

Chose "wipe data/factory reset" then "wipe cache partition". This step is important. I know from personal experience if you don't do this you may end up in a bootscreen loop!

Choose "install zip from sdcard". Navigate to the ROM you loaded on your microSD and flash it.

After the phone reboots (which can take a few minutes the first time after flashing a new firmware version) go back to ROM Manager and again choose "Reboot Into Recovery". Once in recovery, again choose "install zip from sdcard". Navigate to the Google Addon pack on your microSD and install it.

Once you are rooted and running your new ROM, go into ROM Manager and partition your sd card. This is optional.

That is it. You should be good to go! Way easier and faster than the old goldcard method!

This is my first XDA guide. I hope it is up to your standards!
Last edited by candymanmike; 30th September 2010 at 08:12 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to candymanmike For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th August 2010, 09:41 AM   |  #2  
Flag Melbourne, Victoria
Thanks Meter: 1

76 posts
More
Does it root when your on 1.6 firmware?
25th August 2010, 10:05 PM   |  #3  
Flag Tucson
Thanks Meter: 58

237 posts
More
Donut (1.6 firmware)
Quote:
Originally Posted by idasfa38

Does it root when your on 1.6 firmware?

Yes
TMO MyTouch 3g 1.2
Stock Rom
Rooted with Universal Androot!
25th August 2010, 10:43 PM   |  #4  
OP Member
Flag Orting, WA

46 posts
More
same here. i started with 1.6 (donut) and now i'm rooted via this method and running froyo.
28th August 2010, 01:56 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
i keep getting this exclamation mark what am i doing wrong?
28th August 2010, 07:04 AM   |  #6  
OP Member
Flag Orting, WA

46 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVG34

i keep getting this exclamation mark what am i doing wrong?

when you try the root process or when you try to flash a rom?
28th August 2010, 05:35 PM   |  #7  

8 posts
i get the exclamation point screen when i try to boot into recovery mode the nandroid wiki mentions this screen and says to hit alt + L but i cant find which of the mytouch3g buttons they are talking about hxxp://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Howto:_Nandroid_Backup

any help is appreciated
28th August 2010, 05:49 PM   |  #8  
OP Member
Flag Orting, WA

46 posts
More
being that the nandroid wiki page is talking about multiple phone models, i assume it is referring to those with a physical keyboard. i honestly don't have a clue what to do in that situation. never ran into it myself. hopefully someone here will have an answer for you.
28th August 2010, 07:07 PM   |  #9  
Flag Suffolk, VA
Thanks Meter: 162

1,596 posts
Donate to Me
More
The exclamation point means that the recovery didn't flash properly so your booting into the stock recovery. The step in CM wiki is probably for the G1 which has a physical keyboard. Try booting your phone normally and flashing the recovery again.

Notes about this guide: You will not be able to flash a new splash screen with this method. I would recommend not using the Clockwork recovery that's included with ROM manager. You need to also wipe Dalvik-cache before flashing your new ROM. Most newer recoveries will let you flash multiple zips at a time, so if your installing CM there's no need to reboot in between flashing the ROM and the Google adding.

Sent from my HTC Magic using XDA App
29th August 2010, 10:03 AM   |  #10  

1 posts
Exclamation @ ziggity and amon ra
Hi, pretty new here and this post was great. Thank you. I have finally rooted my 1.2 and was so easy thanks to this post. I also though, got exclamation point. I think it has to do with the part in the directions when it comes to flashing the recovery. Here is what worked for me, maybe helpful to someone else.....
-If you want, or are trying to flash, the Amon Ra recovery instead of using ROM Manager"s default (ClockworkMod), go ahead and put the recovery file on the root of your sd card.
This is where I got confused because when I went to bottom for flash alternate recovery, it was grayed out and said there were none available (though I know for sure it was on that card!). So I tried the one that said boot in to recovery for manual management and that is when I got the exclamation point. I just took out the battery and then put it back in so it would reboot normally instead of being stuck at that point.
-Go ahead and flash the ClockworkMod Recovery from within ROM Manager. It will then reboot for a while and come back up. When you go back into ROM Manager this time, the option will be there under alternate recovery to flash your Amon Ra file on your sd card. You can go ahead and flash it from right there.
-I think you also need to know that once you flash the recovery from ClockworkMod to Amon Ra, you lose the function/capability of ROM Manager. You can flash it right back though from here also, if you decide to. It seems to be a lot easier at first for the noob and/or less tech savvy to use the Rom Manager to cover the basics, simply because Amon Ra recovery is just so incredibly feature rich.
Anyway, I hope this helps and please be kind, this is my first post!

MyTouch 1.2
Cyanogen 5.0.8
Amon Ra 1.7.0G

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread