Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

How to root the Droid 2

OP karnovaran

25th August 2010, 07:54 PM   |  #21  
djh816's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 188
 
507 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnovaran

Did you add any steps to mount the system? I don't believe I did, but it seems others are finding it to be read-only.

I did on a mac and for whatever reason, once i did get the # for root term (even after you get $, WAIT people. It WILL return you to native command line), if I exited, it wouldn't be root anymore so I had to just copy the files to sdcard, manually remount the system (i just did "mount -o remount,rw /system /system") and then copy su, superuser.apk, and busybox into their locations.
25th August 2010, 07:54 PM   |  #22  
ljbaumer's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 83
 
688 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
More
you could try adb remount if you system is read-only, when my eris was on read-only i would just do an adb remount and then go about whatever i was doing before and it makes adb able to read-write.

this should work but i can't help you if it dosen't.
25th August 2010, 07:57 PM   |  #23  
OP Senior Member
Flag PDX
Thanks Meter: 70
 
598 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
Ok, edited the original post to add the mounting steps. If you have already run the commands but got stuck at adb push, do the following:

- cd c:/Droid2Root
- adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
- adb push su /sdcard/su
- adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
- adb shell (you should now have a # prompt)
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
- cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
- cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- exit
- exit

Let me know if that solves it.
25th August 2010, 07:57 PM   |  #24  
Senior Member
Flag Alexandria, VA
Thanks Meter: 9
 
150 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnovaran

Weird.. I didn't need to mount the system manually, but let me if there's a step I left out.

Same problem here.

Tried new solution, now it says Permission denied.
25th August 2010, 07:57 PM   |  #25  
djh816's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 188
 
507 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljbaumer

you could try adb remount if you system is read-only, when my eris was on read-only i would just do an adb remount and then go about whatever i was doing before and it makes adb able to read-write.

this should work but i can't help you if it dosen't.

for me, i lost root when exiting from the adb shell. this was not an option at that point. it seems like the xploit let me have one shot when i'd execute it so I had to just remount from the shell and use term commands to 'cat' the files into their locations. (for anyone who doesnt know, cat usage: "cat origfile > /new/newfile")
25th August 2010, 08:00 PM   |  #26  
djh816's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 188
 
507 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnovaran

Ok, edited the original post to add the mounting steps. If you have already run the commands but got stuck at adb push, do the following:

- cd c:/Droid2Root
- adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
- adb push su /sdcard/su
- adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
- adb shell (you should now have a # prompt)
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
- cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
- cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- exit
- exit

Let me know if that solves it.

you left out the exploit part :P but yes other than that, i did that exact same procedure on mac just fine. guys, please send any donations posible to sebastien. he really went out of his way for this
25th August 2010, 08:00 PM   |  #27  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
34 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnovaran

Ok, edited the original post to add the mounting steps. If you have already run the commands but got stuck at adb push, do the following:

- cd c:/Droid2Root
- adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
- adb push su /sdcard/su
- adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
- adb shell (you should now have a # prompt)
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
- cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
- cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- exit
- exit

Let me know if that solves it.

It allowed me to copy Superuser.apk, will update post after

Edit: I was able to copy everything over now. And tested with Setcpu. Works well. Thanks!
Last edited by csscmaster3; 25th August 2010 at 08:11 PM.
25th August 2010, 08:03 PM   |  #28  
djh816's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 188
 
507 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
Donate to Me
also, Koush said he would be working on Clockworkmod for Droid 2 tonight. We still need to possibly get birdman to help with it if it'd different than Droid X but should be happening soon
25th August 2010, 08:04 PM   |  #29  
Senior Member
Flag Alexandria, VA
Thanks Meter: 9
 
150 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by csscmaster3

It allowed me to copy Superuser.apk, will update post after

Now it says:
adb: not found

EDIT: after trying the new instructions.
25th August 2010, 08:05 PM   |  #30  
OP Senior Member
Flag PDX
Thanks Meter: 70
 
598 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by djh816

you left out the exploit part :P but yes other than that, i did that exact same procedure on mac just fine.

Well I meant it only for the guys that have already run the binary.. unless I'm missing something else.

Quote:

guys, please send any donations posible to sebastien. he really went out of his way for this

Absolutely. I take no credit for this - please donate to Mr. Krahmer for his work.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
how to root the droid2, root droid2
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes