5,595,196 Members 46,296 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] How to root Android 2.2 on the EVO 4G Outdated

Tip us?

twitchity
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm on the final steps on rooting my EVO. I'm at the part where you choose to boot into recovery but it's stuck on the htc EVO 4G screen and has been that way for about 5 minutes. How long is this supposed to take because in the video it just cuts right to the recovery screen. Everything has worked great up until now. Do I need to remove the battery and start over for the last steps? Thanks

Rocklee99
Old
Thanks Meter 118

DONATE TO ME
so this is basically unrevoked 3 and not a full root? because i here that unrevoked is not a full root...

<CURRENT SETUP>

Click one to learn more!

Samsung Galaxy S4 MODS 3 Minit/ Xposed KERNEL KT-SGS4 Kernel RECOVERY TWRP ROM TriForce Rom

The Old:

Lockbars: GreenFlare Androids
Hit thanks if you like them!

regaw_leinad
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklee99 View Post
so this is basically unrevoked 3 and not a full root? because i here that unrevoked is not a full root...
Just letting you know, there is no such thing as "full root". After this guide, you will have a root shell in adb and the superuser app in /system/app and full nand unlocked with unrevoked forever.
Device: HTC One (AT&T)
Recovery:TWRP 2.6.3.0 | Bootloader: S-OFF
ROM: Stock

My Development Threads

Watch my programming tutorials on YouTube - BetterCoder
I'm also a professional musician - YouTube - SoundCloud

Please don't post just to say "Thanks" - There's a button for that . Be sure to use it!

xHausx
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4457

DONATE TO ME
Regaw, why not just use simpleroot after reverting to 2.1? Wouldnt that make it a lot simpler and cut down on half of the steps here?

regaw_leinad
Old
(Last edited by regaw_leinad; 29th August 2010 at 12:24 AM.) Reason: spellcheck
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3573
Quote:
Originally Posted by xHausx View Post
Regaw, why not just use simpleroot after reverting to 2.1? Wouldnt that make it a lot simpler and cut down on half of the steps here?
Well, the biggest reason is because I've been working with mmastrac a lot for the past few months helping them get their tools to work with the HTC CDMA Hero, and I know their tools pretty well and I like them. I know they work perfectly when done right (the directions are clearly laid out here) and this is the method I used on my brother's EVO 2 nights ago before I posted the guide. Other people have pm'd me with problems because they used other methods after getting to 2.1, and I wasn't able to give much help other than "RUU and start over w/ my guide"
Device: HTC One (AT&T)
Recovery:TWRP 2.6.3.0 | Bootloader: S-OFF
ROM: Stock

My Development Threads

Watch my programming tutorials on YouTube - BetterCoder
I'm also a professional musician - YouTube - SoundCloud

Please don't post just to say "Thanks" - There's a button for that . Be sure to use it!

scev5
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfire View Post
I bet. However, I am not even getting that. I put the 3 files on my card reboot, it scans the PC36IMG but then goes to the main menu. It never asks to apply/update or anything. Any ideas? Thanks!
has this issue been solved, I searched teh thread and find a lot of people with it but know answers

xHausx
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4457

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by regaw_leinad View Post
Well, the biggest reason is because I've been working with mmastrac a lot for the past few months helping them get their tools to work with the HTC CDMA Hero, and I know their tools pretty well and I like them. I know they work perfectly when done right (the directions are clearly laid out here) and this is the method I used on my brother's EVO 2 nights ago before I posted the guide. Other people have pm'd me with problems because they used other methods after getting to 2.1, and I wasn't able to give much help other than "RUU and start over w/ my guide"
Its just weird because it all seems so unnecessary, after using the droid 2 method to get root you could get the nand unlocked and a recovery installed in maybe three or four steps. Having to run an exe on my pc and install new drivers doesnt make a lick of sense to me. Does unrevoked have a github or anywhere we can see what they are doing? I'm still new to the android scene so I'm not very familiar with them yet

ms79723
Old
Thanks Meter 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchity View Post
I'm on the final steps on rooting my EVO. I'm at the part where you choose to boot into recovery but it's stuck on the htc EVO 4G screen and has been that way for about 5 minutes. How long is this supposed to take because in the video it just cuts right to the recovery screen. Everything has worked great up until now. Do I need to remove the battery and start over for the last steps? Thanks
just pull battery and go into recovery again, it'll work

smw6180
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4760

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by xHausx View Post
Its just weird because it all seems so unnecessary, after using the droid 2 method to get root you could get the nand unlocked and a recovery installed in maybe three or four steps. Having to run an exe on my pc and install new drivers doesnt make a lick of sense to me. Does unrevoked have a github or anywhere we can see what they are doing? I'm still new to the android scene so I'm not very familiar with them yet
They don't release their source.
Current Phone:
T-Mobile HTC One
Tablets:
Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime
Asus Eee Pad Transformer
Previous Smart Phones:
Sprint HTC ONE
HTC Evo 4G LTE
HTC Evo3D
HTC Evo 4G
PPC6700
Touch Diamond (WinMO 6.5)
HTC Hero

abisai
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Money!

Everything worked like a charm. Thanks to everyone for all the efforts!

Tags
(.y.), awesomesauce, downgrade 2.1, evo 2.2 root, evo 2.2 stock root, froyo, regaw, rootastic, titties!!
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe