Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,827 Members 53,965 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] LCD Density Changer - create HighRes screen effect

Tip us?

appelflap
Old
(Last edited by appelflap; 12th November 2010 at 07:27 AM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 802
Talking [APP] LCD Density Changer - create HighRes screen effect

For rooted devices only

Update (Oct 20): Fixed a bug with busybox in the full version. This bug could cause booting problems because of a damaged build.prop file. Should be totally safe now when saving the density to the boot up density of the device..
(Lite version, see attachment, doesn't save the density setting and is therefore safe by definition)

App to change the density setting of the screen.

In short, by decreasing the density the display will create a high resolution effect by displaying more info on the screen. For example, with a density of 180 I get this on my Galaxy S screen:

or

There is a extensive help file "on board" with some (important) info.

Free version
Is also a lite version and fully sponsored by adds. The lite version only makes it possible to temporarily change a density setting. This setting will be undone when you reboot the phone. It uses "hot reboots" and no "cold reboots". It doesn't rely on the build.prop density parameter. Should in principle work on all devices. The free version is attached to this post

Full version
Full version (no adds + with the possibility to save the density and/or write it to the build.prop + desktop widgets for fast loading temporarily saved density setting) can be bought from from the Android Market (0.75 Euro). Search for "LCD Densitiy Changer" or scan:

Screenshot of the app itself (tada)
lite:
Click image for larger version

Name:	lcd-dc v1 lite.jpg
Views:	12636
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	403903
full:
Click image for larger version

Name:	lcd-dc v4.jpg
Views:	10308
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	403901
Yeah, not shocking, but it is what is under the hood that makes it worthwhile

Tips
tip1: If the dialer doesn't scale well with other density settings try dialer one
tip2: It seems that ADW Launcher can get the most out of a density change. By changing the amount of colums and/or rows of the desktop one has a better control how icons and widgets will display. Also a smaller density will allow you to add more icons to the desktop without any clutter or overlap.
tip 3: Devices that run a default default density of 240 (Nexus, Droid, Galaxy S etc), a density of 200 gives the best result. It's the best compromise of having more info on the screen and readability of that info.
tip 4: Beautiful widget center problem: see here for a possible workaround.

Link to "app-site" with some additional tips, tricks, help and some frequently asked questions: http://densitychanger.blogspot.com/

Any other tips about getting the most out of this great "Density tweak" are very much appreciated. I will add them to the first post and, if possible, I will incorporate them in my app.

Note for developers
To make your app support all density values (and don't have any scaling problems, even when compatibility mode is on!), select SDK Version 4 as your minimal target and add the following to your AndroidManifest.xml file:

Code:

<supports-screens
          android:largeScreens="true"
          android:normalScreens="true"
          android:smallScreens="true"
          android:anyDensity="true" />
-----------------------------------

Thanks to xda-member jdsemler who discovered this density tweak on his Samsung Captivate.
bratfink for giving some very useful input
Cutefox for noticing that deactivating the compatibility mode solves the scaling problem (in most cases).
Attached Files
File Type: apk LCD Density Changer - Lite - minor update.apk - [Click for QR Code] (94.6 KB, 22796 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to appelflap For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Beackman
Old
Thanks Meter 31
No go on motorola Dext using android 2.1.

Nexus 4 - Rooted, unlocked.

The Following User Says Thank You to Beackman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tids2k
Old
Thanks Meter 632
Congrats on this one.. very handy and ease of use.
lumia 1520>note 10.1 (2014)>nexus 5>s IV>htc one>sgs III>huawie quad xl>ipad 3>lg x3>htc z3tA>samsung galaxy note>samsung galaxy s II lte hd>iphone 4(g)>samsung galaxy s2 >htc desire hd>samsung galaxy s >htc desire (cancelled) :d>htc touch hd2>htc touch hd>nokia n97>iphone 3g>nokia n96>nokia n95> nokia n70

gfandrea
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I have tried on my nexus one with modaco froyo on it.

It work very well on most of the apps; When you have a list of information (like gmail, sms, setting, post on Facebook, etc ) is perfect, in other case the program looks a little weird.
Some app don't take the whole screen (Setting of Digital clock widget) and in other cases the graphics looks a little to small (dialer and Kit auto).

It would be great to have the text in the list smaller to see more information without the problem on other application.

I hope that i explain myself well!

Great app!

appelflap
Old
Thanks Meter 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfandrea View Post
I have tried on my nexus one with modaco froyo on it.

... in other case the program looks a little weird.
Some app don't take the whole screen (Setting of Digital clock widget) and in other cases the graphics looks a little to small (dialer and Kit auto).
Did you disable "Compatible Mode" in the Settings screen? This will fix the scaling issue in most of the apps. (It's in the help )

appelflap
Old
Thanks Meter 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beackman View Post
No go on motorola Dext using android 2.1.

That's a pitty. But maybe you can explain what exactly doesn't work. Does the app not run? Can't you manage to get another density setting running?

appelflap
Old
Thanks Meter 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by tids2k View Post
Congrats on this one.. very handy and ease of use.
Thanks tids2k.. long time no see Also on Androids nowadays?

Beackman
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelflap View Post
That's a pitty. But maybe you can explain what exactly doesn't work. Does the app not run? Can't you manage to get another density setting running?
The app run ok's, show's the default density, but when i change the vallue and reboot the phone, they no apply the changed density and back to 160.
Nexus 4 - Rooted, unlocked.

appelflap
Old
Thanks Meter 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beackman View Post
The app run ok's, show's the default density, but when i change the vallue and reboot the phone, they no apply the changed density and back to 160.
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I first want to make sure that it doesn't cause boot problems on devices.

As for the density change, maybe it isn't possible to get lower than 160? Can you try a higher density like 180? (Not that nice... of course). If that doesn't work maybe your system files doesn't allow to set the density. If you can't manage to get in running on 180, maybe you can attach the build.prop from the system folder of your device. (maybe the problem can be found there).

tids2k
Old
Thanks Meter 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelflap View Post
Thanks tids2k.. long time no see Also on Androids nowadays?
yah matey .. keeping myself busy here
lumia 1520>note 10.1 (2014)>nexus 5>s IV>htc one>sgs III>huawie quad xl>ipad 3>lg x3>htc z3tA>samsung galaxy note>samsung galaxy s II lte hd>iphone 4(g)>samsung galaxy s2 >htc desire hd>samsung galaxy s >htc desire (cancelled) :d>htc touch hd2>htc touch hd>nokia n97>iphone 3g>nokia n96>nokia n95> nokia n70