This post will contain the releases I do until Riemer has time to catch up with me: (Unless I see me and Riemer would like to go in different directions with this kernel I don't want to open another thread for "my" versions)
- Scheduler tweaks (restored latency to 6ms and enabled hrtick - this time for real!)
- SmartassV2: a few bug fixes.
- Some upstream updates (thanks arco)
This is a generic "smart updater package" which can also be used to do OC from boot, as explained in my FlyKernel post
Boot OC and optional tweaks (first post).
on this kernel is different from the .29 kernels most ROMs are compatible with. Fixes for CM6/7 are found on post #1029
More information about SmartassV2
(for users) can be found on my FlyKernel post
Developers aiming to integrate this kernel into their ROMs, might find it more convenient to use the following regular update package as a reference:
In this package the kernel's ramdisk is the one compatible with Floyo 1.4.
If you prefer to recompile the kernel yourself, you are very welcome to do so, but please share your updated sources
. Obviously you are changing something (maybe very very small) otherwise why are you recompiling it? Please share with us what changes do you find to work better for you. You are also required to this by the GPL license of the kernel.
- Tweaked scheduler parameters (lowered latency to minimum - ROM developers please do NOT overwrite the scheduler params in your init.rc)
- Added smartassV2 governor as the new default governor - more details below (since 0.5f, tweaked built in sleep in 0.6.0)
- Added interactiveX governor (since 0.5c)
- Some compiler optimization (stable since 0.5e)
- Fix for jogball notification (since 0.5a)
- Use frequency table from fly kernel (since 0.5a)
- Based on Las Venturas 0.5.0
- Added smartassV2 governor (set as default)
- Added "Wireless RNDIS" - could this fix usb tethering?
- Tweaked compiler optimizations and moved to new toolchain
This version is a "quick fix" version trying to solve the stability issues (spontaneous reboots) reported with the 0.5c version. Only thing is I have no idea what is causing these problems so this is really a bit of a shot in the dark. Please report any stability issues, and if possible also state which ROM, what you where doing at the time and for spontaneous reboots attach a last_kmsg (i.e. "adb pull /proc/last_kmsg"). Thanks in advance to all the testers.
- Reverted part of the compiler optimizations from 0.5c.
- Back to NOOP scheduler
- Default governor back to smartass. interactiveX is still available and I am still very interested in feedback regarding it.
- Additional kernel config tweaks.
- Added interactiveX governor by Imoseyon - for now this is the default governor (most likely a temporary situation).
- Use BFQ I/O scheduler
- Voodoo compilation optimizations
- Fix for cpufreq time_in_state (i.e. SetCPU frequency counters) - broken only in 0.5a version (commit).
Note regarding the "new" interactiveX
From a very quick look at its code, this governor looks promising to me, and I hope that it might provide better battery life over the current alternatives.
I am very interested to hear about the battery and performance with this governor vs. smartass and/or ondemand.
Some philosophical discussion on the subject:
It seems there are quite a lot of smartass/interactive variants out there (in kernels for other devices). I also have some ideas of my own, that will hopefully manifest into a new governor someday soon (smartassV2?).
In the meantime, interactiveX seems relatively close to smartass (also discriminates between screen on/off states), and to the best of my current understanding, in theory, given the parameters I have selected for it, I hope it might improve battery life.
- Fix for jogball notification (commit)
- Use frequency table from fly kernel
- Based on Las Venturas 0.5.0
All changes are on my github
Cudos to riemervdzee
for all his hard work on this excellent kernel, as well as to all others who have helped to develop and test this kernel.