I was always running into problems getting my Hero CDMA to boot custom ROMs. After eventually getting frustrated enough with what seemed like inexplicable errors, I finally determined that on my phone, I would occasionally end up with corrupt files after the flash process was done. If I was lucky, it would be an unimportant file or two that would end up corrupt, but sometimes it would be a critical framework, which is why I was having trouble booting.
Enter FixFlash, a shell script that runs on the phone after flashing a new ROM image from recovery. FixFlash will verify the integrity of the files copied to the phone during the flash process and in the event of a problem, automatically make a fresh copy of the corrupt file in an effort to resolve the problem.
I developed this tool because of my own problems, but I think that I may be able to help some other people who's phones are giving them them same sorts of problems that mine does me. I am open to any suggestions on improvements, and welcome any feedback!
FixFlash is very easy to use, and only requires that you do the following:
1. Copy FixFlash.sh to the root of your sdcard
2. Extract the zip of the ROM you want to flash to your phone on your computer. This is necessary for the verification process.
3. Copy both the original .zip file and the extracted folder of the .zip to the root of your sdcard
4. Boot into recovery and follow your normal flash procedure.
5. Once the flash has finished, but before doing anything else in Recovery, run this command from your computer's terminal/command prompt:
adb shell sh /sdcard/FixFlash.sh
You should see output in your terminal/command prompt indicating if there were any corrupted files encountered, and whether or not they were repaired. The whole process is fairly quick, and should only take a minute or so, depending on your sdcard speed.
6. Reboot your phone and enjoy!
At this point you can remove the extracted copy of the zip from your sdcard, its job is done!
** Updated Script available ** Download from link below and replace existing copies with that file to update.
Sep 9 2010 - 1.1 - Fixed problem with files like AVRCP.kl showing as bad because of case change of filename between phone and zip
More information (including full changelog) is available here:
Direct Download Link:
If you have any problems with FixFlash PLEASE post your recovery.log to PasteBin along with a description of the issue so that I may look into whatever is causing the problem. Thanks!