Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,305 Members 42,350 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Fennec Alpha

Tip us?

bluizzo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Default [Q] Fennec Alpha

So fennec went alpha this week and wanted to know if anyone tried it yet?I've tried to use it but it keeps crashing, has anyone had this issue?
Phones
HTC Dream(G1)-retired and gone
-White
HTC Inspire4G
Galaxy Nexus
-junk drawer
Nexus 4
-enjoying bliss

Google+
The Doctor Sorry? Did you say she killed the Doctor? The Doctor? Doctor who?

user7618
Old
Thanks Meter 231

DONATE TO ME
As much as I like firefox, I'll not get this until they trim this chubby app down some. 31mb?

Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got me some hot froyo on hero action here!

Did I help you or make something you love? Help me send Mrs. User through Nursing School.

DroidFreek
Old
Thanks Meter 68
couldnt get this app to work either and the size is crazy if u want a different browser try OPERA thats pretty good if ur looking for some fast net or just wait for a better realese

WOW mY English is Atrocious
Hit the Thanks Button if I Helped

bluizzo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Yea I like opera but don't like that you can't really download stuff from it. But yea wanted to try out fennec to see how it runs but it's a no go so kinda disappointment.....eh
Phones
HTC Dream(G1)-retired and gone
-White
HTC Inspire4G
Galaxy Nexus
-junk drawer
Nexus 4
-enjoying bliss

Google+
The Doctor Sorry? Did you say she killed the Doctor? The Doctor? Doctor who?

teorouge
Old
Thanks Meter 201
Actually, Fennec's quite a few good ideas, expecially for Firefox users. I mean, it can syncs your open tabs (the ones you left open at home before leaving!), bookmarks, search history and site access infos (so you won't type those old pass/user you can't even remember).
Moreover, you get plugins... not a big amount of them available, but this could just a matter of time if this catches up; and tab management is on par with Android browser's.
Main downside is related to page render speed and program open, they just fail before Android stock browser (which I think is quite awesome, I have to admit it, in terms of performances and compatibility).
Definitively still a "to keep an eye on" project, though.

HDW
Old
Thanks Meter 0
just installed the app, but it wont even open

slimeruk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Junk

I find it unbelievable that this has even been considered for a release to anyone!

After several attempts to install, I finally got this bloated mess to work, slowly and with no features that haven't been done better elsewhere.

I was truely expecting more, Firefox and Thunderbird have become bad enough lately, with this rubbish Mozilla have scored 3 out of three.

Raudi1
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Haven't tried this alpha yet, but I played around with an older Version. I also tried the WinMo version and I can tell you that Fennec on Android is much better than the WinMo version. On my HD2(running Froyo) it installed without problems and it didn't crash. But because the UI had no priority over the webpage rendering it wasn't really usable. But I think I read somewhere that in this alpha the UI has priority, so when I can I will give it a try again. But the only reason for using Fennec are the sync features.
HTC Prophet(sold)-->HTC TochHD(not in use anymore)-->HTC HD2 running CyanogenMod(lent to cousin)--> Samsung Galaxy S II running CyanogenMod + Nexus 7

lbcoder
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 95
You people should READ THE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS before commenting on whether things are good or not. It CLEARLY states that MSM720xA based phones are NOT COMPATIBLE. Regarding the one who managed to partially get it working.... I don't believe you.

Specifically, the program is built for ARMv7 instruction set. YOUR PHONE SUPPORTS UP TO ARMv6 instruction set ONLY.

To put this very simply.... the program is NOT COMPATIBLE [yet].

Rendarion
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbcoder View Post
You people should READ THE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS before commenting on whether things are good or not. It CLEARLY states that MSM720xA based phones are NOT COMPATIBLE. Regarding the one who managed to partially get it working.... I don't believe you.

Specifically, the program is built for ARMv7 instruction set. YOUR PHONE SUPPORTS UP TO ARMv6 instruction set ONLY.

To put this very simply.... the program is NOT COMPATIBLE [yet].
There are nightly builds, which work on Armv6.

I have it running, on a HTC Magic.
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...id-r7-nothumb/

The main deal breakers are that it takes forever to load and that the GUI doesn't scale and all the buttons are too big.

Finally:
Coming from my standpoint, that really didn't call for caps, as what you believed and clearly read into the announcement didn't eventuate anyway.
I am positively glad about that, I hope you are too xD. So far Armv6 isn't going to be left behind (all too far).