Kyocera Zio M6000 - on Cricket, Android 1.6

OP phazei

30th August 2010, 09:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 12

155 posts
More
I was looking around for a thread for this phone, but found nothing. I hope people start working on it, I'd like to mod it.
Is there anything I can do to help, like dumping the rom? Do any of the current tools even work on it?
I read somewhere Kyocera was going to put out an upgrade to 2.1, bit I can't find anything besides a mention of that.

EDIT: FEB 22, 2011
NEW 2.2 THREAD
YES! It is actually out! For real!

EDIT: Jan 27, 2011
It was released (somewhere around page 76) that Android 2.2 would be released Late Feb to early March.

START NEW THREADS!
If you have questions other than modding, it would help to put it in a new thread with the prefix subject "Kyocera Zio M6000 - "
I figure if lots of threads pop up like that it would be more likely that they'd notice it and actually create it's own forum. If everything is just tagged onto this thread, then it will just get huge and unnavigable, and the mods won't notice enough activity.

Update:
hotaru was awesome enough to post a full dump of the Zio for us:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=287

If you look around this thread you'll find info about rooting the phone. Also in this thread a port Clockwork Recovery was released. There are some issues with it that were not resolvable. Such as if you boot to Clockwork and don't actually reset the phone, it will lose the Cricket settings and revert to Verizon. So it will work to recover a ROM and backup, but you need to also need to reset or restore when you go there.
Last edited by phazei; 22nd February 2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: added more info
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phazei For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th August 2010, 09:52 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Las Vegas

155 posts
More
Wasn't sure where to post this since there is no HW section for this phone, so I put it here in hacking general...
Could someone create a forum for it and move this post to it?

EDIT:
To root the phone people have had success with 1-click root for N1

And the MSL# is 000000
The debug ACCESS CODE is #777468

A copy of the 1.6 rom here

Will update here with any usefull info.
Last edited by phazei; 16th October 2010 at 09:44 PM.
31st August 2010, 09:09 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Las Vegas

155 posts
More
Unhappy
Also, this thing has absolutely no multi-touch, even though all the blogs says it does.
31st August 2010, 09:24 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

9 posts
For Tethering. PdaNet (I can't post any links cause i'm a new user, just do a Google Search and click "I'm Feeling Lucky")
Works like a Charm.
Currently Using the Free Version and it works GREAT.
Even has an SMS client built in so you can reply to your messages while your tethered.

Just make sure USB Debugging is on and you'll have no problem.
1st September 2010, 05:48 AM   |  #5  
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 390

1,310 posts
I also put in a request for a user group for this phone. I emailed one of the admins directly and he told me if they get enough requests they may create it.

What I have really been looking for is either a hacked up upgrade Rom to either enclair or group for this phone.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
1st September 2010, 08:32 PM   |  #6  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 35

63 posts
More
I second that motion. The seems to be the first legit prepaid android phone, and it isn't really getting any attention, anywhere :-/
1st September 2010, 11:51 PM   |  #7  
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 390

1,310 posts
Which I find quite odd. I personally have the EVO and love it but I did buy this phone for my girlfriend and she absolutely loves it and for a prepaid phone with a price point of 230 bucks you really cant beat it. Especially for 55 a month. I would think more people would be flocking to this. I have even considered giving up my evo for it but I do like the 4g. And the Build of the Evo is much higher quality.
2nd September 2010, 04:18 AM   |  #8  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 35

63 posts
More
Root
I think getting the thing rooted is important. All of the wifi tether apps require that. I read somewhere that someone had done it.

Do you find your girlfriend's Zio crashes when trying to watch video that you are opening from a link? Mine does every time :(
2nd September 2010, 07:10 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Las Vegas

155 posts
More
Unhappy
Yup, lots of freezing, soft and hard.

I can't get rid of a "cdma: reorder" error after installing GoogleVoice. Now I can only make calls through GV or I'll get the error. I really need a better ROM, they better come out with 2.1 ASAP.

I also hope the no multitouch is only a sw issue and not a hw one.
2nd September 2010, 08:35 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 1

35 posts
i totally agree with you guys this phone needs some tweeking

Subscribe to Thread

Tags
2.2.1, android, update, zio
Previous Thread Next Thread