Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,635 Members 53,052 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kyocera Zio M6000 - on Cricket, Android 1.6

Tip us?

MagickalShadow
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by phazei View Post

Still feels like I'm getting ripped.
I am sure the way they measure storage space is the same way everyone else in the industry measures it. If you buy another phone that states it has 256Mb of storage, you will most likely find that you have a similar amount of room available.
I am not a licensed professional, but I have read several Wikipedia pages on the subject :P

phazei
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spz0 View Post
Your OS has to reside somewhere in memory correct? Perhaps that's what is taking up your missing space.
The kernel is in /sys/
It doesn't say where that's mounted from or how large it is. I tried to get the used space, but it seems to be looping through a symbolic link or something because it got forever bigger and bigger. I googled and found this mention:
http://groups.google.com/group/andro...7121c797dfe5d1

phazei
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagickalShadow View Post
I am sure the way they measure storage space is the same way everyone else in the industry measures it. If you buy another phone that states it has 256Mb of storage, you will most likely find that you have a similar amount of room available.
No doubt. That doesn't change the fact that to the average consumer, who doesn't know what linux even is, manufacturers are fronting some large number that isn't relevant to what the consumers would be using. It might be standard, but it's still dishonest. It's analogous to the whole 500MB BS the HDD mfg's created using decimal rather than binary to cause the whole ridiculous MiB thing. Everything digital operates in binary, so use for the whole "mega" = 1000 vs "mibi" = 1024 is solely for the mfg's benefit and no-one else's.

gregnotcraig
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Can we please take this whole "where's my memory, damnit?!" argument outside? At least start a new thread or something. this entire thread has been thrown off topic. Now, you kids get off my lawn!
Phone: GSIII
ROM: Unofficial AOKP Jellybean 4.2.2
My Blarg: A Geek In The Desert
My StatusNet instance: G, Not C
Twitter: rumbleghoti

MagickalShadow
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnotcraig View Post
Can we please take this whole "where's my memory, damnit?!" argument outside? At least start a new thread or something. this entire thread has been thrown off topic. Now, you kids get off my lawn!
Hmm...if I was the one asking about the memory, I would wonder if you were calling me a "kid" for having concerns. Seems like it could potentially be rude and insulting...
I am not a licensed professional, but I have read several Wikipedia pages on the subject :P

gregnotcraig
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Hmm...if I was the one asking about the memory, I would wonder if you were calling me a "kid" for having concerns. Seems like it could potentially be rude and insulting...
Did you lose your sense of humor when you logged in to the forum?
People take themselves too seriously.
No offense was intended. Next time I'm trying to be funny, I'll plaster lauging smileys all over my replies.

MagickalShadow
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Did you lose your sense of humor when you logged in to the forum?
People take themselves too seriously.
No offense was intended. Next time I'm trying to be funny, I'll plaster lauging smileys all over my replies.
One does not have to take themselves seriously to understand that some people do not know how to relate their intentions when typing text. It is not my fault that you did not make yourself clear. Of course, the true sign of taking oneself seriously is when you blame others for not getting your own point across.

I have a great sense of humor. You simply don't tell a good joke.

gregnotcraig
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
One does not have to take themselves seriously to understand that some people do not know how to relate their intentions when typing text. It is not my fault that you did not make yourself clear. Of course, the true sign of taking oneself seriously is when you blame others for not getting your own point across.

I have a great sense of humor. You simply don't tell a good joke.
Touche.
Text in any format - sms, forums - is a terrible medium for communicating humor, sarcasm, etc.

phazei
Old
(Last edited by phazei; 20th October 2010 at 08:03 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Now, you kids get off my lawn!
HAHA, I thought that was funny. Like a grumpy old man who's just bitter. I got it. I think it was clearly humor. Perhaps you just have to have heard it before. That phrase is common and is always used for humorous intent. In my head I imagined you doing the old man impression.

I was joking when I talked about googles customer service center with 100,000 reps. I thought it was a riot. Craig just doesn't get our humor. (See, I said Craig rather than Greg because it's the opposite of the username, so it's funny.)

Webinator
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I don't know if this is going in the right place, but I'm going to sell my Zio. I have it for sell for $200 with screen covers front and back, soft cover, and a 8gb micro sd card. I will sell it with all the bought apps and with the root program (disabled right now). I will pay for standard shipping. This phone is 3 weeks old and in perfect condition. I have the box with it too. Thanks and sorry if this is in the wrong place in the forum.

Tags
2.2.1, android, update, zio