Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,667 Members 49,396 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Motorola Flipout rooted. How to apps2sd?

Tip us?
 
ghostwheel
Old
(Last edited by egzthunder1; 8th October 2010 at 07:07 PM.) Reason: Added Link for Root Program
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 160
Join Date: Feb 2008
Default [Q] Motorola Flipout rooted. How to apps2sd?

The Motorola Flipout is fairly easy to root, at least now. Universal Androot (get it here) works.

I am thinking about moving apps to the sd card. However, since I haven't reflashed the phone, and I don't have a ROM for it, I'd like to do it without reflashing. Is that possible?

If I partition an SD card correctly (ext3), copy all of /data onto that partition, and then mount that partition over /data, will that work? Or do I have to mount the card before the phone boots?

Or is it better to just copy /data/data, and mount the partition over /data/data?

It seems to me that mounting over a directory, as opposed to creating a link is least invasive, because on reboot the phone is as it was before. Is this right?


If I have to mount the sdcard before the phone boots, can I just edit one of the init scripts, or is that more complicated? I read about editing init.rc and repacking boot.img

Oh, HOWTO unpack edit and repack boot images seems to give good instructions. On the Flipout, boot is mtd4, and recovery is mtd5.

If I only modify boot, I can't brick my phone too badly? Since I haven't changed recovery, I should be able to recover (?). Can I create an update.zip that flashes the old boot.img and undoes my changes in case something goes wrong?
 
Kainous
Old
#2  
Kainous's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 189
Join Date: Aug 2008
I just got the flipout from rogers.. Is there anyplace that has a development forum for it? And does it have the efuse ? If it does, is it possible to do what was done with the droid X to it?
Device: G2
 
futurepush
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jul 2010
How did go so far ghostwheel? I'm eager to hear what else you have figured out.
 
flusshd
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 105
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Paris
You use App2Card.apk at below for app2sd without flash:

http://www.tinhte.vn/f280/app2card-2...n-vung-456586/

Requires: just a rooted phone

Steps:
- install app
- click Menu / Partition button then use slide bars to create ext2 for your sd card if it hasn't been splited yet
- click Install App2card button
- phone will be rebooted and you just taste app on sd after then

Note: above page has further instruction but it is vietnamese, you must use google translate to get it. This app runs perfectly on my Milestone.

Sent from my Milestone using XDA App
 
adlx.xda
Old
#5  
adlx.xda's Avatar
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 765
Posts: 985
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Madrid

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwheel View Post
The Motorola Flipout is fairly easy to root, at least now. Universal Androot (get it here) works.

I am thinking about moving apps to the sd card. However, since I haven't reflashed the phone, and I don't have a ROM for it, I'd like to do it without reflashing. Is that possible?

If I partition an SD card correctly (ext3), copy all of /data onto that partition, and then mount that partition over /data, will that work? Or do I have to mount the card before the phone boots?

Or is it better to just copy /data/data, and mount the partition over /data/data?

It seems to me that mounting over a directory, as opposed to creating a link is least invasive, because on reboot the phone is as it was before. Is this right?


If I have to mount the sdcard before the phone boots, can I just edit one of the init scripts, or is that more complicated? I read about editing init.rc and repacking boot.img

Oh, HOWTO unpack edit and repack boot images seems to give good instructions. On the Flipout, boot is mtd4, and recovery is mtd5.

If I only modify boot, I can't brick my phone too badly? Since I haven't changed recovery, I should be able to recover (?). Can I create an update.zip that flashes the old boot.img and undoes my changes in case something goes wrong?
Hi,

I'd really like to help with that (I'm a confirm dev. for Cliq and CliqXT phones).
Hopefully we can do great things like we did for Cliq and CLiqXT (upgrade to 2.1!). (check my work at http://bit.ly/adlxmod).

First thing would be to generate a system dump (a dump of all the files in the /system partition). Hopefully we then could generate a custom recovery to flash on the phone, and then custom roms, either base on the dump you provide or other roms from other files. Contact me on twitter @adumont (say it's for Flipout) and I'll guide you to generate the dump!

Looking forward to do great things for that litle phone!
Like my work, use my roms daily? Consider donating for a beer/redbull -- Follow me on Twitter

Phones: Galaxy Nexus, Motorola RAZR UMTS XT910, HTC Chacha, Atrix (hard bricked), Defy, 2 Dext, CliqXT
 
Sakem
Old
#6  
Sakem's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 132
Join Date: Aug 2010
I'm in touch with adlxdum to give him my dump but I think we should start a separated thread like "Custom rom, modding (work in progress)" so that we can follow adlxdum work.

And...thx in advance ;)
 
ghostwheel
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 160
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by flusshd View Post
You use App2Card.apk at below for app2sd without flash:

http://www.tinhte.vn/f280/app2card-2...n-vung-456586/

Requires: just a rooted phone

Steps:
- install app
- click Menu / Partition button then use slide bars to create ext2 for your sd card if it hasn't been splited yet
- click Install App2card button
- phone will be rebooted and you just taste app on sd after then

Note: above page has further instruction but it is vietnamese, you must use google translate to get it. This app runs perfectly on my Milestone.

Sent from my Milestone using XDA App

Worked!

I couldn't repartition the SD card with the program, so I had to partition it myself. But once that was done, thing seem to work well. A bit slower...

I'm not totally sure how to use the app. Internal seems to still be full, but ext2 on the SD is quite empty. I can't seem to be able to tell if an app is installed to internal or external.

I have to try and install some more apps to see if I run out of memory.

Thanks!!
 
MrShides
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 90
Join Date: May 2009
I'm guessing the flipout and charm are almost identical phones?

My wife has a charm and i'm one of those "i'm not a developer, but I'd like to help" guys.
 
ghostwheel
Old
#9  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 160
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShides View Post
I'm guessing the flipout and charm are almost identical phones?

My wife has a charm and i'm one of those "i'm not a developer, but I'd like to help" guys.
Yes, I think they are very similar.
One thing that I'm interested in is the accelerometer. On the Flipout, most apps that use it are twisted - for example wikitude, and many games (labyrinth lite works!) I wonder if things work on the charm...
 
MrShides
Old
#10  
Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 90
Join Date: May 2009
the charm has the same issue.

Tags
apps to sd, apps2sd, brick, flipout, root
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...