5,597,937 Members 38,991 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is the captivate as awesome as it appears in quadrant after the lag fix?

Tip us?

Dani897
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 679
Default Is the captivate as awesome as it appears in quadrant after the lag fix?

I have the captivate with bloatware removed, unhelpful's overclock kernel, and the lag fix, I get quadrant scores as high as 2505. I was wondering if the phone its just that awesome or if there were similar mods to snapdragon phones that give them similar performance. i know they can be overclocked.

I guess what I'm getting at is that my phone would hang on the file system tests in quadrant until the lag fix where the score nearly tripled! Is this something unique to the galaxy s do to a flaw or are there similar problems on other phones that could be fixed and yield similar performance to my phone? Or is the galaxy s cpu, gpu and ram and other components just that much better?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897

ozy944
Old
Thanks Meter 0
My $0.02 says the galaxy s as a processing unit is slightly better than the older snapdragon. Better optimised, newer (45nm > 60nm) etc. There could very well be processing issues on other chips too. We wont know until someone finds them. Bear in mind however, the Snapdragon chips are likely to be much better optimised for android operating systems - as android is developed on that reference hardware - e.g. nexus one uses a quallcomm snapdragon and gets a massive jump with JIT, froyo. However, droid X, Droid 2 with froyo dont see nearly as high increases in performance.

The GPU is known to be significantly better on the Galaxy S phones. However, its only a matter of time before the next gen snapdragons take the lead again (or at least play catch up)....and somehow I wont be surprised if the subsequent Galaxy S 2 devices retake the lead

Dani897
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 679
Pretty much what I was thinking, from what I understand the snapdragon has up to 20% greater throughput than a standard arm v7 processor but the hummingbird needs 15-25% fewer instructions to do the same task. I wish I could remember the reference for that. In other words, snapdragon works harder and hummingbird works smarter.

I knew as far a shear performance it would come down to the gpu but didn't know any details on that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897

glio1337
Old
Thanks Meter 1
The issue that slows the Galaxy models is Samsung's proprietary file system. The lagfix improves performance by wedging in between the filesystem and providing a buffer built with a modern filesystem.

iLoki
Old
Thanks Meter 20
The massive score increase in Quadrant is due to the file IO being MUCH MUCH faster when the lag fix is applied. If you were to look at the professional version of Quadrant (which breaks down the scores into their categories) the File I/O portion would be in the mid to high 6000's, which really unbalances the score..