Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing an .sbf to Droid 2 (unrooting/factory restore)
Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing back to stock using RSD Lite (Unrooting a rooted phone by .sbf)
can be found here... kind of... very close!
= = =
The fine print
: This information is provided without warranty. I can not be held responsible if you **** up. I simply wrote a walkthrough/tutorial. I did not produce the procedure or the steps. I just simply consolidated all the information into a single place with notes to make things easier to understand and execute. You are welcome to share this information anywhere you want. Please do credit me for writing it. Lastly, please link back to the original site if possible. I try to format the text in such a way that it is more easy to understand. Lastly, I ask that everyone who uses this pays it forward by helping others figure out their own phones. Now on to the procedure.
I am running Windows XP SP3/32bit.
= = =
Steps 1 and 2 can be skipped. You just need to download the latest version of the SBF file (currently 2.3.20). Link coming soon.
1. Download 2.3.20 SBF file for D2
You can find it here: http://www.iamthewalcs.com/Support-F....3.2%20SBF.zip
2. Extract the .zip file and put the .sbf file somewhere where you can easily find it.
3. Download RSD Lite 4.7
. (RSD Lite 4.7 is not the same as RSD Lite 4.7.2)
[RSD Lite 4.9 works as well]
RSD Lite 4.9 Here!
New: Download to RSDLite 4.7 with patch.
There is a link to download RSD Lite 4.7 + patch here as well. Includes an installer (.msi) and the patch (.ini).
4. Install the program (rsdlite_4.7.msi
) or RSDLite 4.9. Follow instructions until completion.
5. Next, extract the patch (pst_flash.ini
) to the Motorola/RSD Lite folder. It'll ask you if you want to overwrite the file. Choose yes. (Don't think you need this for version 4.9, but don't quote me on that).
(My file path to place the file was: My Computer
-> C Drive
-> Program Files
-> RSD Lite
6. You'll need to have the Motorola Drivers
. You probably already have them, but if you don't, you can get them here:
noted that you can't use the same Motorola drivers that you used for root from the other thread. You must use these updated drivers with MotoConnect. Thank you sir!
7. Now would be a good time to back up anything on your SD card to your computer. Plug in your Droid2 to the computer via USB cable. Pull down the notification menu/blind
, choose USB connection
, and then choose USB Mass Storage Device
. Now there should be a removable storage in your "My Computer." Go through your SD card and back up your important things. Probably the DCIM and download folder. You should also make sure that your phone is set up to "Back Up Data." Go to the system menu
(the 4 squares icon/button in the lower left), choose Settings, then Privacy
, then make sure the "Back up my data
" and "Automatic restore
" are checked.
8. You now need to put your phone in bootload mode. In order to do so, power down your phone. Slide open your keyboard, hold the "up" key (the arrow closest to the enter button), and power on your phone. You should come up with a black background and text with something along the line of d2.35 and usb okay.
9. Now you can open RSD Lite
. Go to your Start Menu, Program Files, and you should see RSD Lite. In the title of the newly open window, make sure the version is 4.7.
Edit: If you opened RSDLite and your device is not showing, you might need to open it as an admin. Go to program files/motorola/rsdlite/sdl.exe, and right cllick and run as an administrator. Reference by JonandRoid. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=12
10. Wait a few minutes until your device shows in the table. It should say A955, port 1, connected, etc.
11. Toward the top of the window, there is filename/blank field. To the right of it, there is "..." button. Click it. Now find your .sbf with the open window that popped up. Select "Droid2_X6_2.2
", or the latest version of your sbf, and press open. Back to the program window, press Start (right next to the "...") Your phone should now start flashing the firmware to the phone. Just let it run it's course. It's going to reboot and start up again. You'll know when it is done when the Progress field in the table of RSD Lite says complete. This may take a little bit. Maybe 5-10 minutes.
After your phone reboots and doesn't get past the boot animation (wait at least 5 or 10 minutes),
a. Turn off your phone
b. Hold down X on the keyboard
c. Turn on your phone while continuing to hold X
d. When you get the Android guy with a '!' in a triangle push the search button on the keyboard (the magnifying glass button, two keys to the left of the space bar)
e. Select both 'wipe cache' and 'wipe data' from the menu.
f. Reboot your phone
If you do steps a-f, you probably won't need to do these following steps.
12. I do not know if this will work or not, but if it does, you guys might not need to do the rest unless you truly do want to fully factory reset your phone. This step is UNCONFIRMED
To get back onto the Verizon Wireless network, dial *22899
and press send. It should update your phone and you'll be back on the network. (Referenced from ITGuy11 at the link below.)
13. Your phone still has everyone on it. You'll probably realize that you now have no 3G or phone service and are roaming. Now you need to Factory Reset
your phone. Go to the system menu
(the 4 squares icon/button in the lower left), choose Settings
, then Privacy
, the choose Factory Data Reset
. Follow the instructions and agreeing to wipe your phone clean. It will ask you to confirm, and/or ask you to enter your security pin/security pattern. It'll reboot itself and run its course.
14. Your phone will eventually be put back to factory settings. You'll then be greeted by the new user/account wizard. Follow the directions. They'll ask you to program/update your phone, enter in some login info, and then your phone will be back to brand new, just like the day you walked out of the Verizon store, except with the BackUp Manager service, all your applications and contacts will be downloaded back onto the phone!
That's it! That wasn't so bad was it?!
= = =
If you found this tutorial helpful, and would like to do something for me, please donate to my PayPal. I am short on rent by $100 this month. I am a student, and moving to a new place and I need to produce first months rent, last months, and a deposit. I am not expecting to profit from this tutorial. Honestly, I am just doing this to help others. I just need some help with rent this month. All donations are appreciated, even if it is a dollar. If everyone donated even a dollar or two, I'd be set! PayPal info coming soon!
Another edit: PayPal: email@example.com
Another quick note, I'll be adding references sometime soon. It is almost 5 in the morning and I want to go to bed!