Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,303 Members 42,999 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing an .sbf to Droid 2 (unrooting/factory restore)

Tip us?

haincha
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I want to thank you for this! Even though it says it fails, it restores my phone. Has saved my phone from a few messed up flashes.

tgwaste
Old
Thanks Meter 76
getting this error then FAIL.. any ideas?

22:40:49, September 17, 2010
Line: 587
ERROR: Flash failure: Interface AP-OS: Error verifying Code Group 39 checksums. File: 0xAD28, Phone: 0xE045 (Error Code: 31),
Detailed Error Details: Direction of the Error=No Direction, Command Value=4000000, Code Group Number=39
File: D:\test_dev_usb\flash\code\flashdll\FlashHdlr.cpp
Device ID: 0
-tg

chrstdvd
Old
(Last edited by chrstdvd; 19th September 2010 at 04:16 PM.) Reason: Update
Thanks Meter 3
Followed inst to letter thru step 11. "Droid2_X6_2.2...SECURE.sbf" failed but I could not expand it to find what error. So I did it again. It failed again, went thru to 100% then just said "failed".

So I flashed , "BL_D235...HSPart.sbf" and it passed. The phone rebooted and nothing has changed.

I am using Windows 7. Wonder if I should try it again, or leave well enough alone?

I rooted my phone and then uninstalled the messaging app after I loaded Handcent and now I can not MMS send or receive.

I thought I could follow this tutorial and get things back to square one and start over.

Appreciate any advice.

Update 1

using-rsd-lite-flash-sbf-file-correctly

I read this at the above link(I am new, they won't let me post a link): "Also, be sure your SBF file is good. If your file was originally zipped, then unzipping it would have given an error if it was corrupted so you're OK. " So I decided to use 7 zip on the jpg file again.

It said there was an error with that first sbj file. I deleted the jpg file and downloaded it again. Then I 7 zip'ed the new file and had no error messages.

Then I went through the processes again and it all worked. I am at the *22899 part now it has been doing something for about 15 min now. The call is still in progress and the notification bar is flashing green/grey. I will just have to leave it alone, I guess.

I did notice that all the bloat is back on the phone before I started the current call.

I noticed a few posts that mentioned "failed" so maybe this info will help someone else.

I will update whatever happens.

Update 2

I was supposed to listen when I dialed *22899 but the dial pad went away and the notification bar started blinking. So after about 30 min I got back to the dial pad and there was a message that activation failed. I hit a "next" button, the phone dialed, operator gave choices to reactivate phone or upgrade roaming. I chose 1. and the phone reactivated. I have my 3G and am un rooted. So I stop after 12 a in tutorial. I have all the original apps back and can MMS.

This means I now have a backup on the computer to get back to stock. Now I will root again, and make sure I pay attention to what I am uninstalling.

Thank You and I will hit your paypal link.

gfrancis306
Old
Thanks Meter 0
has anyone tried flashing this .sbf with sbf_flash (a program for Linux to, obviously, flash .sbf files) it worked fine with flashing the D1, but I haven't seen any information confirming it will on the D2.

thanks in advance! looking forward to my new shiny D2

darkonion
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfrancis306 View Post
has anyone tried flashing this .sbf with sbf_flash (a program for Linux to, obviously, flash .sbf files) it worked fine with flashing the D1, but I haven't seen any information confirming it will on the D2.

Yup. Matt4542 started another thread here on how to sbf recovery using that method.

facelessuser
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfrancis306 View Post

I have only flashed with linux, and have done it multiple times. It is as easy as you can get.

KingLo
Old
Thanks Meter 1
You should also mention that the sbf can be loaded from Bootloader mode and also how to get into bootloader mode (hold up on physical dpad while powering on)

For all of you getting failed try reloading into bootloader mode when it resets. it'll give you failed sometimes just because it didnt go back but it still will work

gfrancis306
Old
Thanks Meter 0
awesome! so what we're saying is (aside from modifying an sbf file and bricking it that way) the droid 2 is about as safe as the droid 1, as far as failsafe methods to restore to working status.

CrypticDroid
Old
Thanks Meter 20
So I've attempted following this method on a Windows XP 32 bit computer available to me. I got everything installed on the computer that I know of.

I plug in my phone, open RSD lite, it shows up, I choose the first file for flashing and I hit 'start'. It takes about 2 minutes to tell me it's failed.
This is the message I get: "unable to retrieve interface handle (0x7027)"

Any ideas? My phones been acting SUPER funky lately. Lots of FC's and general wonkiness.

walcs
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Thank god for this, otherwise my phone would be totally F*cked
You guys are magical!
Droid 2 (Retired)
SGS3 Pebble Blue 16GB (Verizon)
Nexus 7 (8GB)