5,597,871 Members 38,637 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing an .sbf to Droid 2 (unrooting/factory restore)

Tip us?

aplus01
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for putting this together. It really saved my bacon yesterday. The instructions are great and were really helpful. One shortcoming is that the instructions are aimed at phones that are working rather than phones in distress.

One thing I'd consider adding to the instructions would be that for boot looping phones you'll need to hold down the up key on the physical keyboard before powering on in order to get to the boot loader. Otherwise your computer and also RSD Lite will not recognize you've connected your phone.

Also, for semi-bricked or boot looping phones when RSD does finally list your device it may not be listed as a A955 (mine was not). Instead you may see a device with a model of "S Flash OMAP3630 MI". After the first .sbf installed though my phone displayed the correct device model of A955 in RSD Lite.

theecho
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplus01 View Post
Thanks for putting this together. It really saved my bacon yesterday. The instructions are great and were really helpful. One shortcoming is that the instructions are aimed at phones that are working rather than phones in distress.

One thing I'd consider adding to the instructions would be that for boot looping phones you'll need to hold down the up key on the physical keyboard before powering on in order to get to the boot loader. Otherwise your computer and also RSD Lite will not recognize you've connected your phone.

Also, for semi-bricked or boot looping phones when RSD does finally list your device it may not be listed as a A955 (mine was not). Instead you may see a device with a model of "S Flash OMAP3630 MI". After the first .sbf installed though my phone displayed the correct device model of A955 in RSD Lite.
Thank you for the information. This will be considered for editing.

mgalceran
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So I just tried the Ubuntu method and failed again. The command prompt wasn't recognized. A more detailed version of what I did is posted on that thread. The only thing i can think that maybe messed up is that my sbf file doesnt have those two spaces in its name like the command does ('P2 _USERBLD_ SECURE' before and after the underscores of USERBLD).

aplus01
Old
Thanks Meter 1
@mgalceran

I didn't use the ubuntu method. Finally got the windows method to work. I doubt there would be spaces in the file name but if there are you usually wrap the name in quotes i.e. "file name with spaces"

Sounds like your attempt with RSD Lite was similar to mine in that it didn't recognize your phone. Try rebooting while holding the up key on the keyboard. Then try the steps in the tutorial. RSD should work from there on out.

Good luck

Edit: just saw you got some help with the live CD route.

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App

SerialKilla
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I have an issue I don't see here,and I fear the worst... I wanted to flash the .sbf,full factory restore to return my D2. Have all necessary files and drivers,ran RSDlite,all went well until bootup,it was at 100%,and just started bootlooping. I have tried every solution I could find on the forums to no avail. Any ideas? Or am officially bricked... Thanks in advance.

newk8600
Old
Thanks Meter 25

DONATE TO ME
The command for the ubuntu method was updated and shouldn't give errors now. If you get errors please post them in the Ubuntu tutorial section here so we can get them answered faster. thanks.

@SerialKilla Have you tried the Ubuntu LiveCD method? It's worth a shot if you haven't. just go here Also make sure the .sbf file you have is the right one and it's the whole thing.

SerialKilla
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by newk8600 View Post
The command for the ubuntu method was updated and shouldn't give errors now. If you get errors please post them in the Ubuntu tutorial section here so we can get them answered faster. thanks.

@SerialKilla Have you tried the Ubuntu LiveCD method? It's worth a shot if you haven't. just go here Also make sure the .sbf file you have is the right one and it's the whole thing.
Thanks for the reply. I actually did the x and power mode into recovery,then hit the hourglass button on the keypad,got into factory recovery mode and reset from there and all is good! Ubuntu LiveCD will be what I use next time tho...lol

sikbrik
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplus01 View Post

Thank you so much to the OP and to aplus01!!! I was stuck at moto screen (and I'm a n00b). This extra step was the difference between RSD lite seeing my phone vs. not seeing it. Well, I also had to choose the 'first come first serve' option in the settings on RSD. The only other thing that might help n00bs like me is that my sbf had to be in the root directory on my PC (C for it to work. Any other folder and I got a 'fail'.

Thanks so much for this post and the followups that helped me restore my 'brick'.

texmex7265
Old
Thanks Meter 0
hey do you guys think a 2.4.5 sbf will ever be released for r2d2 droid 2s? i stupidly tried and flash a rom that didnt work and caused a boot loop. im hoping for a 2.4.5 sbf to be released

hondurianman15
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default rsd

how do i get it in usb debugging. its stuck at the M logo so i cant get in.