Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,816 Members 39,092 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip

Tip us?

blackinches
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip

Decided to flash back to stock(was using lag fix ext 2 + root/busybox, etc) and used the odin one-click method. flashed back to stock fine. Decided to flash the SRE v1.2.1a

Downloaded the zip, changed to 'update.zip' and rebooted into the recovery(stock) and selected reinstall packages.

It gives me the error:

E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zi[
(No such file or directory)
Installation aborted.

I've put the sre file on my internal SD card about 5 times now and know it's on there.

What gives?

Rhiannon224
Old
(Last edited by Rhiannon224; 1st September 2010 at 01:52 AM.)
Thanks Meter 417
Did you rename the file update or update.zip, if you included.zip then the file in on your sd would read update.zip.zip and I have seen this happen. Coonect your phone to your pc and mount it then look in the sd and be sure you named it correctly. Thats' where I would start and post this question in the thread so the developer that made this or someone there could help you.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=751934
Current devices;
Moto X

Previous devices;
Samsung Nexus S; sold
Samsung Captivate; sold
Note 2; sold
HTC Sensation; gone

fox945
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon224 View Post
Did you rename the file update or update.zip, if you included.zip then the file in on your sd would read update.zip.zip and I have seen this happen. Coonect your phone to your pc and mount it then look in the sd and be sure you named it correctly. Thats' where I would start and post this question in the thread so the developer that made this or someone there could help you.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=751934
Ditto, I've actually done this myself once so just make sure to rename it to just Update and save it and it still should be a zip file.

jaseone
Old
Thanks Meter 9
One thing that any of the instructions I have read neglect to tell you is that /sdcard is actually the root of the mounted sdcard on your computer so you don't put update.zip in the directory sdcard you put it right in the root.

alphadog00
Old
(Last edited by alphadog00; 2nd September 2010 at 10:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseone View Post
One thing that any of the instructions I have read neglect to tell you is that /sdcard is actually the root of the mounted sdcard on your computer so you don't put update.zip in the directory sdcard you put it right in the root.
This is incorrect.

Update.zip does indeed go on the root of the internal SD card.

/SDcard/update.zip - this is the proper path

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=725555 (step 2)

OP - i expect your problem is the file name as mentioned above.

Dmoney5150
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It goes in the root.... Thats how i do it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

ArcaneMethods
Old
(Last edited by ArcaneMethods; 3rd September 2010 at 07:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I get the same message. I looked in the "Files" app and see that the card is named /sd and not /SDcard. Renaming it is disallowed. Could this be the problem?

If so, what next?

[Never mind; that directory is in the root of the internal storage and is not the same as the SD card.]

Thanks

ArcaneMethods
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Got it to work. On my windows system when I plug in to USB and mount the device I have two separate devices in "My Computer" for it. One is the internal storage and the other is the external SD card.

For my Galaxy S Vibrant update.zip must be at the root of the internal, not the external SD card. It won't find it if in the latter and it updates fine using the "Reinstall Packages" function when update.zip is placed in the internal root.

Rhiannon224
Old
Thanks Meter 417
On a Captivate when we refer to the sd it is the root or we'll just say external sd when refering to the one you install in the slot inside the battery cover. This was a bit confusing for me in the beginning but sd is the root. I have been doing it this way since day one.
Current devices;
Moto X

Previous devices;
Samsung Nexus S; sold
Samsung Captivate; sold
Note 2; sold
HTC Sensation; gone

Dani897
Old
Thanks Meter 683
We have about 2 gig internal and 13 gig that the phone sees as sd or sdcard. Now that is confused when you add an actual external sd card. Mine came from my aria and and on my captivate it shows as "/sdcard/sd" I'm not even sure how my pc sees this.

The update should be on root of the internal 13 sd storage. On the phone it is /sdcard but on a pc copying to /sdcard/update.zip may create /sdcard/sdcard/update.zip but I haven't tried.

I use opera browser to download directly to /sdcard. So I'm not sure but I'm guessing what we see on the phone as /sdcard we see on the pc as root of a 13 gig external drive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk