Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,384 Members 44,116 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

not receiving text messages?

Tip us?

theblorg
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default not receiving text messages?

hopefully this is the right section....

Hey xda, ive been have trouble with my rooted froyo eris. im not receiving text messages at all from anyone, even when i know they just texted me. i know this problem isnt related to the rom or froyo itself, as ive tried both tazz's rom and kaos's. plus i havent had this problem on froyo before. any ideas?

synesthete
Old
Thanks Meter 14
You probably do not have the correct APN files anymore. These let your phone know which towers to connect to. You may have used a ROM that was based on a ROM from another carrier (like Sprint). Try this:

1. Boot into recovery and make a nandroid backup.

2. Download a ROM with the correct APN files, like Plain Jane (basically a stock ROM with root). One version of Plain Jane can be found here:

hxxp://ip208-100-42-21.static.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=718092/ ( I don't think I can post links yet so change hxxp to http)

3. Do a full data wipe in recovery and then install the Plain Jane ROM.

4. Reboot into the new ROM.

5. Make sure 3G and Sync is on and you should get all your missed text messages, once everything is finished syncing.

6. On the market, grab the app "APN Backup & Restore".

7. Run APN Backup & Restore and bachup your APNs. The app will create a folder on you SD card with the APN files. Hold on to those files and if you wipe your SD, make sure you back them up somewhere.

8. Then you can restore to your nandroid backup or load any other ROM. The just run "APN Backup & Restore" and restore you APNs.

I hope this helps you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to synesthete For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dreed75
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Instead of going through the trouble of nand backup, flashing a generic ROM, etc., just stay with your current ROM, download APN Backup and Restore from the market and paste the following XML into a text editor like notepad, name the file original-apns.xml and put it in /sdcard/ApnBackupRestore/. Run APN Backup and Restore from the phone and restore the apn from there.

Below is the code for Verizon Droid Eris (won't work for Hero).

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<apns count="3">
  <apn name="CDMA" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="0" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="" mmsproxy="" mmsport="" mmsprotocol="" mmsc="" type="*" />
  <apn name="Production" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="1" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="" mmsproxy="" mmsport="" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms" type="mms" />
  <apn name="Android" numeric="310995" mcc="310" mnc="995" apn="internet" user="*" server="*" password="*" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="null" type="null" />
</apns>

geske001
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreed75 View Post
Instead of going through the trouble of nand backup, flashing a generic ROM, etc., just stay with your current ROM, download APN Backup and Restore from the market and paste the following XML into a text editor like notepad, name the file original-apns.xml and put it in /sdcard/ApnBackupRestore/. Run APN Backup and Restore from the phone and restore the apn from there.

Below is the code for Verizon Droid Eris (won't work for Hero).

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<apns count="3">
  <apn name="CDMA" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="0" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="" mmsproxy="" mmsport="" mmsprotocol="" mmsc="" type="*" />
  <apn name="Production" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="1" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="" mmsproxy="" mmsport="" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms" type="mms" />
  <apn name="Android" numeric="310995" mcc="310" mnc="995" apn="internet" user="*" server="*" password="*" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="null" type="null" />
</apns>

This DID NOT work for me!! Thank you anyway!!!

geske001
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by synesthete View Post
You probably do not have the correct APN files anymore. These let your phone know which towers to connect to. You may have used a ROM that was based on a ROM from another carrier (like Sprint). Try this:

1. Boot into recovery and make a nandroid backup.

2. Download a ROM with the correct APN files, like Plain Jane (basically a stock ROM with root). One version of Plain Jane can be found here:

hxxp://ip208-100-42-21.static.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=718092/ ( I don't think I can post links yet so change hxxp to http)

3. Do a full data wipe in recovery and then install the Plain Jane ROM.

4. Reboot into the new ROM.

5. Make sure 3G and Sync is on and you should get all your missed text messages, once everything is finished syncing.

6. On the market, grab the app "APN Backup & Restore".

7. Run APN Backup & Restore and bachup your APNs. The app will create a folder on you SD card with the APN files. Hold on to those files and if you wipe your SD, make sure you back them up somewhere.

8. Then you can restore to your nandroid backup or load any other ROM. The just run "APN Backup & Restore" and restore you APNs.

I hope this helps you.
So far, doing these steps, i HAVE received text messages. Taking a few attempts to get logged into gmail though...getting irritating, but when I do I am anxiously waiting to receive my text messages under FroShedYo's ROM!!

THANK YOU!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to geske001 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

geske001
Old
Thanks Meter 2
YES!!! IT WORKED!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! Stupid Verizon guy "level 2 tech" said the phone was trash. I will stick to my xda friends next time instead!!!

Nailzaz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I can't thank you enough! I spent so much time on this. This was the ONLY helpful post I could find. THANK YOU!

roosh
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Same Issue corrected

I had the same exact problem with not receiving text messages my Eris and I followed these steps and now it's fixed!

roirraW "edor" ehT
Old
Thanks Meter 1309
We like to hear success stories!

Sent from my GingerBread Eris using XDA App

FingazFone
Old
Thanks Meter 0
oh thank god.. it worked!!!!! finally getting txts back!!!