Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

.SWF/Adobe Shockwave Stand-alone flash player for 1.5 - 2.1 CDMA Hero (FINALLY!)

OP joefarar

2nd September 2010, 07:31 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

15 posts
Sorry for the double post - I put this under apps and themes as well - I know how in demand a program like this has been and I know not all users search both forums, thinking it was not possible. Moderator may remover or migrate this thread if they wish:

Original:

Credit goes to the original poster (you can download the APK files off xda website - I am a new member so I cannot post links in thread yet (just search under android app and development - hacking section if you want to locate the original thread):

I have reattached the APK files for convenience (v6 is for 2.0+, v3 is for anything below 2.0). You can also dl from the original thread if its still active.

Description:

Simple APK file and you are set - only works for swf files (not flv files - no conversion compatibilities/works poor on games). It works, but poor for file management, very little controls other than pausing (no picture resolution adjustments, controls to skip or fast forward rewind, speed controls, or playlist management), but the program parses .swf well and played well (it's just choppy) - it does not work like a shockwave player where you can play games and have interactive controls but it does display slideshows well.

I noticed speed of slideshow can sometimes increase or decrease depending on how/if the phone is rotated (personal observation). If anyone knows of a better program for android 2.1 and below (root or not - I use stock deox OC 710 mhz with good mem management and class 6 sd card apps2sd - large swap file and dalvik cache off sd), please let me know? I searched for over a yr and this was as close as I could find. I am happy to have found this but I am almost positive someone knows something or could improve on this even slightly?

Comments:

Per my understanding, there is currently no android port for this type of application, per my understanding and Adobe Flex/Air is still in the works for Android.

The best you could do with .swf files was to convert them either within the media player you used (there are none currently that do this, not now at least, if you know of one please share!!! - even those that claim to do it will not or will run into stability issues, or would be ridiculously expensive - some work on 2.2 I think), there used to be one which I used and it worked which was free in the android market way back in the day of 1.5/1.6 stock sense ui, but, whatever media player that was, it since has been removed from the marketplace or had the feature removed and I cannot find posts for it anywhere else on the web. I tested several players by the way on several settings, even ones for arm7 processors and even swapped roms to stable 2.2 cyanogen on cdma hero - this is sadly as good as it got for me?

The only way I was able to do this was to take the .swf file(s) and manually convert it on a PC (batch/or not) or to run it through the browser off my sd card, like dolphin (this is a pain and slow and there is no functional control).

It was thought to be impossible unless someone could port Gnash to android or some other open source swf player from a linux platform (android is more java than linux, I think? plus the arm6 processor limitations - this was considered unfeasible, you'd be better off programming a shockwave player from scratch than reverse engineer code, I think, even so, without Flex/open GL fixes, or some other mem management, it's not really worth the effort or risk).

Some company, apparently tried, and gave up because of this, I guess, but posted a feasible app for android which works - I think it could be improved on significantly - the dev has his email in the app about section - it just has limits and always defaults to the sd card directory when done vs. going back to folder where the swf files are located.

If anyone knows of a better program over this, again, please share (even paid vid player converter which can do playlists/sound/and/or even controls)! Otherwise, I am glad to share this with everyone - I have been looking "forever" for something like this - I just wish it had more controls or better file browsing/management. Maybe someone would want to work on this project?

Cheers,

Joe.
Attached Files
File Type: apk FlashPlayer-release-3.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.26 MB, 899 views)
File Type: apk FlashPlayer-release-6.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.26 MB, 1723 views)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread