OP alovell83

21st September 2010, 11:34 PM   |  #141  
Flag Seoul
Thanks Meter: 50

256 posts
More
@juztin888

http://www.busybox.net/about.html

Busybox is a compiled set of Linux utilities that are not otherwise available in our flavor of Android. I believe it provides a lot of the base functionality for LagFix and other SU related functions.
22nd September 2010, 03:12 AM   |  #142  
Thanks Meter: 46

669 posts
I used wifi tethering most of yesterday. it works great. my computer dowloadd some updates when i didnt realize it. The battery got pretty warm. not surprising. now its toast. wont charge. good thing i have spare , insurance, warranty, and in return period. Props for sk/samsung for officially suporting this feature at least. Still might be worth 10 bucks for pdanet for usb tethering.

Sent from my SHW-M110S using XDA App
22nd September 2010, 07:14 AM   |  #143  
Thanks Meter: 0

23 posts
Donate to Me
More
Whew, I thought my phone was totally bricked! I found a way to reboot it to factory settings...now it's in its original state with all the original apps. Now i'll try to update the firmware 1st thru Kies, then root it afterwards...now I have a way to get it fixed with its semi-bricked state...(semi-bricked coz the two main touch button screen still lights up, but screen is totally black)...
22nd September 2010, 08:09 AM   |  #144  

23 posts
Donate to Me
More
I was able to upgrade my firmware to:

Baseband Version: M110S.DH09.2134.ST
Build Number: ECLAIR.DI03

and successfully rooted my phone via ODIN after upgrading...I've noticed when upgrading from DG24 top DH09, I dont have 3G setting now, its disabled!
22nd September 2010, 01:09 PM   |  #145  

669 posts
regarding wifi tethering if anyone cares, the battery did recover. The charger flashed yellow after leaving it all night, but then charged sucessfully today (green) after reconnecting it. Probably it tripped the protection circuit on the battery. Who knows what un-tripped it, temperature, balance, time. Anyway definitely high usage wifi tethering is not easy on the battery (not news though). I had it on usb charging during the tethering. My experience with an HTC winmo phone was the same though, required being on a (good) wall charger to do wifi routing. Hopefully this one will be able to keep up in that case without needing the battery at all. I'll see. Actualy it seems the usb charge cable is barely, or maybe not even, able to keep up with display power for this device let alone wifi routing.
22nd September 2010, 01:32 PM   |  #146  

669 posts
@juztin888 as for busybox, it's easy to never know what it does because you usually don't run it.

from a prompt, do
busybox ls -al /system/bin
notice all the symlinks to busybox (if it's fully installed).
Most of the commands in there are actually just busybox. Busybox knows what name it was called with, and acts apropriately. Ironically, ls is included in busybox, but does not replace the system ls... hence to show you this example I had to call, not just "ls", but "busybox ls", since built-in ls seems to be missing arguments, also ironic, becasue busybox is supposed to be the light version of things, but then clearly not lighter than default android.

I never did understand if making busybox one file really has anything to do with it being lighter than the full utilities or if it's just the preference of the people who wrote it. Maybe shared libraries aren't an option in tiny systems.
22nd September 2010, 02:10 PM   |  #147  
Flag Himki
Thanks Meter: 5

33 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by appagom

@juztin888 as for busybox, it's easy to never know what it does because you usually don't run it.

from a prompt, do
busybox ls -al /system/bin
notice all the symlinks to busybox (if it's fully installed).
Most of the commands in there are actually just busybox. Busybox knows what name it was called with, and acts apropriately. Ironically, ls is included in busybox, but does not replace the system ls... hence to show you this example I had to call, not just "ls", but "busybox ls", since built-in ls seems to be missing arguments, also ironic, becasue busybox is supposed to be the light version of things, but then clearly not lighter than default android.

I never did understand if making busybox one file really has anything to do with it being lighter than the full utilities or if it's just the preference of the people who wrote it. Maybe shared libraries aren't an option in tiny systems.

You can always look what applets your busybox supports by calling it without any additional arguments. The advantages of busybox are obvious:
1) Only one instance of busybox in memory is needed to run all of its applets. I.e. if you are using busybox shell applet (or using it as init) - you do not need to allocate any memory to store binaries you run afterward (as long as they are busybox applets).
2) When building embedded system based on busybox - you need only to compile busybox... And voila! You already have fully functional environment - only thing you need - is to create symlinks to init, sh, etc.
3) You do not need to mess up with a thousands of libraries in case of statically linked busybox (it stays REALLY small even with static linkage). Embedded systems built upon static busybox and one-two statically linked core applications looks really simple and elegant.
Last edited by Pyromaniac84; 22nd September 2010 at 02:14 PM.
22nd September 2010, 05:30 PM   |  #148  

23 posts
Donate to Me
More
@Pyromaniac84 & appagom:

Thank for that insight...I'll try to play with it...when I get my phone back and running the old version of my firmware
22nd September 2010, 06:39 PM   |  #149  

23 posts
Donate to Me
More
@ikeya_sato:

How did to downgrade from DH09 to DH07? I was using DG24 and upgraded to DH09 and my 3G settings are not available. Like you, I'm using Globe telecom which I greatly use to send pictures to my relatives... can you teach me how to do it step by step? I would greatly appreciate it...I like to get it back to it's old state, and start from there...
Last edited by juztin888; 22nd September 2010 at 06:51 PM.
23rd September 2010, 03:37 AM   |  #150  

29 posts
Hi juztin888,

I went to Festival Mall in Alabang to have my phone fixed by the seller since it's under the store's warranty.

I'm wary about doing any other tweaks to my phone since no information in this thread has been particularly helpful especially if they're from the Korean websites. I posted a similar request earlier regarding the translation of a certain website to English to no avail though.

My advice is to have it fixed where you bought it. The phone's new and the software's pretty raw. I wouldn't mess with it much lest I be left with a very, very expensive brick.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
anycall, korea, korean, shw-m110s, shwm110s
Previous Thread Next Thread