Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,479 Members 48,289 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SHW-m110s] Korean Anycall Galaxy S, Thread/FAQ/ReadMe/Discussion/Questions

Tip us?

koe1974
Old
Thanks Meter 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by juztin888 View Post
@koe1974:

I cant seem to download your link regarding the .tar on page 7 that you posted...
Files will be available for 24 hours

1pm KST

appagom
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapu View Post
@appagom

Must have missed something in the trail here, but I haven't found your solution to #3 above regarding the exploit. Please elaborate. Tks.
See posts 126 through 128 or so on page 13. BTW, this is exactly my point! The Original post needs updating.

Wapu
Old
Thanks Meter 50
@Appagom

Thanx! Totally missed that. Will attempt this tonight (most likely along w/ OCLF) and post how it went. Hope this xploit still works after Froyo update.

appagom
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Think I found a code on the first guess
*#34769273#
On mine it just resets the dialer screen, but most random numbers don't do that so I think this is a special one. I disabled FirmwareUpdate.apk, and I suspect it may be calling that. Try if you want. Not sure why anyone would care though if you can just run the apk instead. I don't know what it does, so if it burns your phone to the ground don't blame me. By the way, I assume it's common knowledge how these numbers are invented right? ... just in case, the existing one spells TOUCH. This one spells FIRMWARE. I don't want to try RESET.

Wapu
Old
(Last edited by Wapu; 27th September 2010 at 12:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 50
@appagom

!!! OOPS, need help quick. I was doing good w/ root, then undid/redid and screwed up. Overwrote my playlogo-orig file.

It is a text file, could you plz reply back w/ contents of yours. I can repush to overwrite what I did.

w/o the original, there is no way to get back to normal. Also, permanent root no longer functions (only temporary).

Gotta pay attention next time

UPDATE: Nevermind... I found an answer that works (tentatively). I will get the original from a friends G-S. The playlogo and playlogos1 are not text files, they are the logos you see when starting up. The text file is the exploit. I still screwed up my original file, but I managed to finesse my way around it. I can replace it later.

Wapu
Old
(Last edited by Wapu; 27th September 2010 at 12:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 50
Default Rooting

OK, to continue my last...

- Rooting... successful.

- Lag Fix... SUCCESS!!!

New quadrant benchmark of 2250! Blazing fast speed.

Will provide detailed directions soon.

koe1974
Old
(Last edited by koe1974; 28th September 2010 at 01:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 513
Talking "It can be bricked" or "Samsung A/S in Korea"

For those who might be faced with having to deal with A/S in Korea I thought I might tell my story as things progress.

First, you have to understand my wife was pissed because I always break my phones and it means she has to deal with it, but I told her I am going to handle it. I know enough Korean to get around but hardly enough to talk a Samsung Tech. through what I did to my phone. Let alone do I want admit to them I have been flashing more than a drunk 21 year old college girl at Mardi Gras.

09/25/2010
While trying to restore by primary and secondary bootloaders I bricked it. Yes, really. Tried AC, new battery, fully charged batteries...nothing. No power, no download mode, no nothing. Completely dead. So for future reference it can be bricked. It wasn't easy but I did it.

09/26/2010
Brought my phone to the local Samsung Store, not the shop I got the phone from. The phone shops only deal with contracts and most do not have the resources or knowledge to fix a phone. They will just send it to a Samsung store so save yourself a day of waiting.

I thought I would play dumb and I said very simply in English, "Software Upgrade", pushed all the buttons, showed him that nothing happened, shrugged my shoulders and made a sad face.

He took the phone, pushed all the buttons, took out the battery, plug it into a charger and upon seeing it was dead grabbed the stack of service tickets.

He asked for my name and phone number. I told him to make a note on the service ticket that I only speak English by saying, "Memo" and made a writing gesture. "No Korean, only English." He understood and jotted some Korean on the ticket. He told me it would be 1 week.

09/27/2010
Someone from Samsung generally calls the next day but I didn't get a call today. So far so good.

09/28/2010
Samsung called today at around 1pm. The guy spoke English relatively well. He asked, kind of jokingly but with and annoyed tone, "What did you do?".

I said, "I updated with Kies but it failed."

It was silent for a few seconds and then, "Change memory, will don't save memory, 'couldn't understand' mainboard. Original settings, okay?"

"Okay", I replied.

"Finish Samsung Store tomorrow, night time." he said.

"Do I have to pay?", I asked.

He chuckled, "No pay."

We said good-bye.

At 7:45pm the guy at the Samsung Store gave me a call and told me my phone was done. I have it back in my possession. Written in Korean on the Service ticket is Mainboard Changed.

All in all it was painless and fast.

juztin888
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
@wapu

yes please...I would like to know how you rooted you phone successfully...

Wapu
Old
Thanks Meter 50
@Justin

Jumped the gun a little...

I managed to Root (both soft and permanent) and I managed to get the lag fix. But after the lag fix, you must get the root back (since they use the same exploit, they overwrite the same file).

My first attempt at getting both was last night and it dropped the file system, along w/ all my apps (apparently the lag fix only remounts the installed apps on the ext2 fs). So my phone boots up, but no 3rd party apps.

So I backed up my sdcard directory and did a factory reset. If anyone tries this, I would recommend using Astro to back up your apps to the sdcard/backup directory so you can reinstall them easilly in the future.

So, right now, I have a stock phone (minus the boot up animation, gotta find that guy again). All in all, not too bad of a screw up. Since its not a custom ROM, the worst you can do is loose your installed apps and I'm not too worried since I have a backup of everything (just time consuming to reinstall/reconfigure).

HOWEVER, since I now have a stock phone, I have less to loose on my next iteration. Will consult a UNIX friend today w/ the code from both the OCLF and ROOT to see how I can combine the two playlogos1 files and get the functionality to play nicely together.

To reiterate:
1) you can root the phone
2) you can apply the lag fix, but it overwrites the root exploit, leaving it unrooted (which also means you cannot un-lag)

I KNOW with a little manual intervention I have gone from root to lag-fix. I am CERTAIN with manual intervention you can reverse the process. I am WORKING on a manual solution that combines the two, along with the processes necessary to undo it safely so that you can still upgrade via KIES (you can upgrade rooted, but not using a separate file system mounted).

This is going to take a couple days (or more). I will post progress updates. Although this is safer than flashing a custom ROM, I would still not recommend anyone try this if you don't understand what is going on in the background.

appagom
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Playlogos1 is not the exploit.it is the hook used to maintain root on bootup AFTER gaining root the first time through the exploit.
Hehe i did warn that messing aroumd would overwrite your backip...backup modify backup
=overwrite. Anyway yes its not a critical file except maybe for AS.

Sent from my SHW-M110S using XDA App
Korean SGSII (SHW-M250K) with SHW-M250S hand-rooted stock rom, unmodified kernel.
Korean Motoroi XT720, -> my FAQ
SHW-M110S (Korean Anycall SGS) 2.2.1... running custom Frankensteined stock+z4 + tegrak ext4 +voodoo, rooted kernel image.

Tags
anycall, korea, korean, shw-m110s, shwm110s