Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Why did you buy the HD2 rather than a straight Android phone?

OP qipengart

3rd September 2010, 01:59 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Salt Lake City
Thanks Meter: 69

1,176 posts
More
What is your personal story of choosing the HTC HD2 over a straight Android phone like the MyTouch Slide 3G or the Samsung Vibrant? I was a G1 user but realized that I needed the capacity for programming and hacking my phone easily which Windows Mobile allowed. The huge screen for WinMo was a plus and I knew someday that Android would replace the old OS.

So I signed up for a T-Mobile to get my HD2 a few months ago. And I have a second one now for further testing now.

Hope to hear more good stories of how you got into the HD2.
3rd September 2010, 02:10 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 12

632 posts
More
I have been a WinMo guy forever. I have also been with TMOUSA forever. I didnt plan on changing either. I was stuck in the MS Exchange compatibility lie ( thats what I kept telling myself). So last week I got a sweet deal on the HD2. $52 out the door at Walmart with a 2 year renewal . I already had data from my TP2, Dash, MDA, PocketPC, HP6510 (a little history there). It was a no brainer. That how /why I got the HD2.

I also have a coworker who is always touting Android. So I decided to show him how my DEVICE could beat his phone. So I threw on Mattc's 1.6 and was BLOWN AWAY to say the least. I cant believe I waited so long to goto Android. I will never go back to WinMo for daily use. HOWEVER... any device I purchase from here on WILL be able to run both...... Old habits die hard I guess.
3rd September 2010, 02:29 AM   |  #3  
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 6

432 posts
More
My first Windows Mobile phone was unlocked Motorola MPx220 (black limited edition). After that one of course T-Mobile MDA which I got for my brother as well... Phone was great for that time but I regret T-Mobile did not have much to offer at that time. After being bored of resistive screen on MDA and using my nails to select something on the screen, responsiveness got me away from touch-screen phones since there was no almost none capacitive screen phones other than iPhone. I got into reading a review I stumbled on between iPhone and Nokie E71. Weird I know - touchscreen phone vs full keyboard qwerty phone with much smaller screen, etc. I got myself Nokia E71 after I read the review without thinking twice... I used Nokia E71 (gray) for 2 years and got my wife another one, than my brother got it as well (back at Serbia). So, E71 was doing everything just fine; but I wanted more for God knows what reason. I got into researching without any interest whatsoever and got into more capacitive screens and got into rummor mill that T-Mobile is getting HD2. After more reading THAT WAS IT!!!

Android running from SD CARD was just 24k golden coating I put on it ...

I am now full time Froyo 2.2 user on my HD2 and brag about it whoever is asking ... "Oh, is this EVO?" "Oh, is this Droid?" ... NO! It is T-Mobile HD2 that can run Windows Mobile and Android back and forth without any problems!!!

UPDATE: I am running for the past few months Gingerbread Android CM7 (MDJ 2.6) NAND version ROM and it works just perfect for day use. I reset here and there maybe once per month or so but simply it works fine. I am also on 10$ 200MB plan with T-Mobile. Quiet honestly I do not know what the next phone will be for me ...
Last edited by eenbox; 25th May 2011 at 06:21 AM.
3rd September 2010, 02:57 AM   |  #4  
Flag Lincolnshire
Thanks Meter: 58

179 posts
More
I got the phone for 2 reasons. One being, that i've always been a WinMo fan, and two, because of the immense power of the phone.

I wasn't bothered about Android at all when I got the HD2 (Plus, when I got my phone, there was no talk of Android coming to the HD2 anyway). Now i've tried Android, i'm loving it - And use it daily.

But, I will always want a phone that I can use WinMo and Android.

As jmmmmm said, old habits die hard !
3rd September 2010, 03:37 AM   |  #5  
Flag Kansas City, Mo
Thanks Meter: 25

640 posts
More
To experiment, I already have a Nexus One.
3rd September 2010, 03:45 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 75

1,188 posts
More
Because I had a Dream!

Because A palm reader told me a great man would take on a project. A project that most though was impossible. She for told of the many night this man would stay up picking through the kernal. She saw a penguin on a screen so massive.

This man was Dcordes!

But seriously the screen size and I knew someone like Dcordes could do it.
3rd September 2010, 05:19 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 9

130 posts
avoiding the APPLE propaganda.
3rd September 2010, 06:02 AM   |  #8  
Flag Mumbai/Belgaum
Thanks Meter: 164

1,145 posts
More
Well with the rumors of a phone with 1 GHz processor, I was like "This would be my DREAM phone"

So finally got it, thinkin that 1 day we'll have Android on it..!!!

The advantage of this phone over Nexus One, is that we can dual boot WinMO & Android..!!!

As even if we deny it, but WinMO has lotsa apps available that gives it an upper hand..!!!

I mean business apps..!!!

At the end of the day happy to be a proud owner of the HD2..!!!
3rd September 2010, 07:08 AM   |  #9  
Flag eastbourne
Thanks Meter: 151

1,622 posts
More
Thumbs up
from years of being a windows mobile fanatic, I decided one day to head off and discover new horizons, I sold my then trusty touch hd for a spangly iphone 3gs, I even sold my psp believing the iphone was all I needed, how wrong I was, I soon became tired of the ever controlling apple, bluetooth headers not working correctly, non apple accessories not compatible, no customisation, grrrr it had to go...
then sold their iphone, for a fully fledged samsung galaxy s, and yes this was quite an amazing device, but for some reason my eye had been on the hd2 for some time, trying to convince myself not to go back to windows mobile, not sure why...so I sold my galaxy s and with the money bought an hd2 and another psp for all my gaming needs so basically back were I started but with a better windows mobile device.

then after getting all comfortable again with my trusty old windows mobile, i thought I would give android a go, thinking there is no way out would run as fast and smooth as on there dedicated samsung device...yet again how wrong I was, android on the hd2 is truly amazing, for me the large screen, brilliant camera with superb flash, the quality of manufacture and huge community following, I now have the perfect device.
3rd September 2010, 07:38 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

36 posts
It was $48 and I knew I could port Android to it.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread