Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,106 Members 41,956 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[UPDATE: 16th Mar] Notification LED v2.0.1 - FREE version uploaded on the Market!!

Tip us?

Meltus
Old
(Last edited by Meltus; 16th March 2011 at 02:37 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,001

DONATE TO ME
Default [UPDATE: 16th Mar] Notification LED v2.0.1 - FREE version uploaded on the Market!!

I've put this in the Development section because whilst it is almost fully functional, it still needs a lot of development. Please be aware of this when you download it. I am not to be held responsible for anything that may happen as a result of running this app.

Requirements:
Root Access & a Custom ROM (StreakDroid 1.8.0 recommended (CONFIRMED WORKING ON 1.8.0))
Built under a 2.2 framework. If you are running anything pre-2.2 please be aware it may not work.

Please remember to remove all previous versions of the app before installing.

Simply open the app and press the "Menu" button. I hope you can figure the rest out! Enjoy!

"LED Notification FREE" has been uploaded in the Market. It has full functionality and it Ad Supported.
Please be aware that this version includes an "AdBlocker Check". This will block the app from opening if you have an adblocker installed on your phone. Sorry about this but i hate adblockers Alternatively, you can just remove all instances of Admob from your Hosts file.

Code:
QUICK HANDCENT FIX: 
Open Handcent, press 'Menu > Settings > Notification settings > Popup settings'.
MAKE SURE 'Screen on for popup' is UNCHECKED.
Handcent wont interfere with my app from then on :D
NEW TO 2.0.1
Asks for SU Access when the app first loads Fixes some weird error that happens every now and again.
Completely re-coded the SMS receiver. Much smoother now!
SMS and Gmail Notifications can be turned on or off
New settings page - done properly now, wont save anything to sdcard [you can delete your STREAKLED folder now!] Press the 'menu' button when you open the app for settings.
Permissions tweaked (should be less LED problems)

KNOWN BUGS
Changing orientation during the pattern causes problems. Just don't do it!
Notifications overwrite each other. So if an SMS message arrives and then a Gmail, only the Menu button will be lit, and vice versa.
Services cannot be stopped (only by uninstalling) FIXED - 2.0
Sometimes all the buttons will end up being lit, not sure why. [SHOULD BE FIXED]

TODO
Add options for turning the SMS and Gmail notifications on and off DONE - 2.0
Have different patterns for each DONE - 1.3
Improve the UI (sort of) DONE - 2.0
Improve the pattern flashing sequence (sort of) DONE - 2.0
Clean up the code (WIP )DONE - 2.0
Fix orientation issue

This will ALWAYS be available for free on here, on Modaco and on my website (see sig) but i have uploaded a 'donate' version on the Android Market Place priced at 1.50, just incase you fancy buying me a beer

Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: apk StreakLED.apk - [Click for QR Code] (21.0 KB, 2126 views)
File Type: apk StreakLEDv1.1.apk - [Click for QR Code] (25.8 KB, 157 views)
File Type: apk StreakLEDv1.2.apk - [Click for QR Code] (27.5 KB, 248 views)
File Type: apk StreakLEDv1.3.apk - [Click for QR Code] (33.1 KB, 547 views)
File Type: apk LEDNotificationv2.0.1.apk - [Click for QR Code] (32.3 KB, 2685 views)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Meltus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Devil-D
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltus View Post
I've put this in the Development section because it is not fully functional and still needs a lot of development. This is basically a proof of concept app.

Requirements: Root Access (tested on 2.1 but build under a 1.6 framework so it should work on 1.6)

All you have to do is run the application, hit the home button and receive a text (or send yourself one). If your phone is locked it will wake up and dim the screen and flash the home/menu/back LEDs in a nice pattern and then keep the screen dimmed until you unlock the phone manually.

The only problem is that you will receive a Force Close error message and you will then have the re-open the app for it to work again. I am trying to fix this but will not be able to look into it for a few days so i thought i would release what i've done so far.

I will be adding settings and more patterns as soon as i can fix this FC error.

Enjoy

Well... GREAT!!! Thanks! It works... Was searching this kind of app for weeks. Thanks again!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Devil-D For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tomqman
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Great little app. Can't wait for thenext update

PHONE:HTC ONE (M8) 16GB + 64GB SD
ROM:ViperOneM8
Tablets:Asus EEEpad-->Htc Flyer--->Nexus 7--->Note 10.1--->Asus FonePad ---> Ipad Air ----->Xperia Tablet Z2 32GB

Amdathlonuk
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Nice work.

Just out of interest though, what's the dangers of having the screen on dim all night if I get a text message at stupid o'clock?

Wouldn't want to burn anything on my screen if that is possible.
Huawei Honor 6 .....loving it! plus Samsung Galaxy Tab-S 10.5"

Meltus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,001

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdathlonuk View Post
Nice work.

Just out of interest though, what's the dangers of having the screen on dim all night if I get a text message at stupid o'clock?

Wouldn't want to burn anything on my screen if that is possible.
Screen burn is an issue on LCD screens, hence why i set it to do a dim wake lock instead of a full brightness one. Saying that, i have absolutely no idea whether screen burn would still occur but ill test it tonight and report back

On a positive note i have fixed the FC error and will release the fully working version tomorrow!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Meltus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

marra2
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Nice work dude ! Look forward to a full release tomorrow.

jdmnash
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Any way to make this compatible with non rooted steaks on 1.6?

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App

Meltus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,001

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmnash View Post
Any way to make this compatible with non rooted steaks on 1.6?

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App
No, i'm afraid not.
Without Root Access it will probably just force close.

Currently in the process of adding more LED patterns
It also now wakes the phone, unlocks the phone and displays an "SMS Message Received" popup which it then hangs at until you close it.
Do you guys think this is better or should I make it lock the screen instead?

What else should i add/change?

a042349
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltus View Post
Do you guys think this is better or should I make it lock the screen instead?

What else should i add/change?
I'd prefer it stayed locked, also if I read this thread correctly, it leaves the screen on (but dimmed?) is that true? I would need it to kill the screen, because as noted, it could kill your battery if you went a long time w/o clearing the alert.

Nice work so far though...

Meltus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,001

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by a042349 View Post
I'd prefer it stayed locked, also if I read this thread correctly, it leaves the screen on (but dimmed?) is that true? I would need it to kill the screen, because as noted, it could kill your battery if you went a long time w/o clearing the alert.

Nice work so far though...
Yeah, that's the only problem.
unfortunately, killing the screen freezes the LEDs in whatever state they're in, completely defying the point of the app
What i could do though, is wake up the screen, flash the LEDs but leave one on and turn the screen back off. This would turn everything off apart from that 1 LED and you could use different LEDs for different notifications. I'll try that out later.