Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,635 Members 39,017 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GPL]2.6.29.6 CFS Kernel V9 12/10/10

Tip us?

Conap
Old
(Last edited by Conap; 30th May 2011 at 01:10 AM.)
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 233
Default [GPL]2.6.29.6 CFS Kernel V9 12/10/10

I put this kernel together with the direction of Decadenc3(Thanks again and I hate github by the way lol). It is basically the same as the bfs kernel without the bfs which makes it a little more stable in my opinion. It is set up for interactive governer which decadenc3 tells me works very nicely without the bfs.

V2
Fixed commit conflict which may have caused kernel panic(which means hopefully no more reboots for those who had problems)
V3
Lowered starting voltage(undervolting)
V4
Re-enabled low memory killer
V5
added tun.ko file (untested)
kanged some more commits from some better kernel devs then me(see github source for commit changes)
V6
added cifs support
Camera freezing fix
Other updates from backports of .32 and .34 kernel stuff
V7
never officially released
added loop support
V8
Smartass governor added
Updated kgsl, better graphics performance
updated interactive governor
Download CFSv8 from here.
V9
Removed cifs support and reverted to the linux toolchain for compiling. I think that these were the changes in V6 that caused some wifi and failed boot problems for some users. Nothing has been changed in wifi so I think this is what the problem was but for those that were having trouble you'll have to let me know.
DecufuctCFSV9

Flashing this kernel will cause issues with Froyo apps2sd. Froyo apps2sd uses cyrptoloop to mount the apps on the sd card. The kernel has the cryptoloop module compiled seperately so it needs to be activated for apps2sd to work. This can be done manually by typing insmod system/lib/modules/loop.ko and then insmod system/lib/modules/cryptoloop.ko. This can be put into a script and run at boot by your rom dev if they choose to include this kernel.
More thanks to Decad3nce and all the other great kernel guys that i can pull commits from to put this together.

2.6.29.6 CFS Kernel V4

2.6.29.6 CFS Kernel V3
More Info on Smartass governor
Quote:
Technical Details-originally posted by erasmux

smartass governor - is based on the concept of the interactive governor.
I have always agreed that in theory the way interactive works - by taking over the idle loop - is very attractive. I have never managed to tweak it so it would behave decently in real life. Smartass is a complete rewrite of the code plus more. I think its a success. Performance is on par with the "old" minmax and I think smartass is a bit more responsive. Battery life is hard to quantify precisely but it does spend much more time at the lower frequencies.
Smartass will also cap the max frequency when sleeping to 352Mhz (or if your min frequency is higher than 352 - why?! - it will cap it to your min frequency). Lets take for example the 528/176 kernel, it will sleep at 352/176. No need for sleep profiles any more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftb0 View Post
Just thought I would throw this "decoder key" out here for historical purposes - the Decadenc3/Conap kernel made its way into lots of different ROMs...

...so, if you are not sure or have forgotten which kernel is in your ROM, do a "adb shell uname -a", and you should be able to match these:

BFS330: Linux version 2.6.29.6-DecaFuct-dirty-b81fce7a #12 PREEMPT Fri Sep 3 22:33:01 EDT 2010
CFSv4 : Linux version 2.6.29-DecaFuctCFS-dirty-2a66c604 #2 PREEMPT Mon Sep 6 16:49:41 EDT 2010
CFSv5 : Linux version 2.6.29-DecaFuctCFS-dirty-ea33d448 #5 PREEMPT Thu Sep 16 10:11:19 EDT 2010
BFSv6 : Linux version 2.6.29.6-DecaFuct-dirty-153d9e7a #19 PREEMPT Sun Oct 17 20:56:35 EDT 2010
CFSv6 : Linux version 2.6.29-DecaFuctCFS-dirty-cd76c7c1 #20 PREEMPT Sun Oct 17 20:58:39 EDT 2010
CFSv8 : Linux version 2.6.29-DecaFuctCFS-dirty-c6271491 #7 PREEMPT Mon Nov 8 20:13:33 EST 2010
CFSv9 : Linux version 2.6.29-DecaFuctCFS-dirty-c6271491 #2 PREEMPT Sat Dec 4 14:12:58 EST 2010

Note the similar strings for CFSv8 and CFSv9 - make sure to check the dates carefully.
And of course my source for this if any of you would like it.

Also you can check out my Froyo rom here.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Conap For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Decad3nce
Old
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,768

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conap View Post
I put this kernel together with the direction of Decadenc3(Thanks again and I hate github by the way lol). It is basically the same as the bfs kernel without the bfs which makes it a little more stable in my opinion. It is set up for interactive governer which decadenc3 tells me works very nicely without the bfs.

2.6.29.6 CFS Kernel for Eris

\0/ - (toastcfh reference)

theboo7
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conap View Post

2.6.29.6 CFS Kernel for Eris

what's difference between bfs and cfs

Decad3nce
Old
Thanks Meter 2,768

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboo7 View Post
what's difference between bfs and cfs
CFS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Completely_Fair_Scheduler
BFS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_****_Scheduler

zwade01
Old
(Last edited by zwade01; 4th September 2010 at 03:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 29
****! I JUST flashed your BFS like 20 min ago! Oh well, flashing now since I have a fresh nand, lol.

Edit: After rebooting, I get to unlock the screen and like 5 seconds later, I get another reboot. Repeatedly. I'm using ELB 2.8. Went back to BFS for now

grimjeeper
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Cfs working here

Sent from my FroyoEris using XDA App

Decad3nce
Old
Thanks Meter 2,768

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwade01 View Post
****! I JUST flashed your BFS like 20 min ago! Oh well, flashing now since I have a fresh nand, lol.

Edit: After rebooting, I get to unlock the screen and like 5 seconds later, I get another reboot. Repeatedly. I'm using ELB 2.8. Went back to BFS for now
pull last_kmsg and post it. can't help otherwise.

Conap
Old
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwade01 View Post

if you try it again wipe davlik/cache....

Hungry Man
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Oh I got some reboots at first, no issues anymore.
blah blah signature

zwade01
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Tried the Dalvik Wipe, no go here. Here's the last_kmsg.
Attached Files
File Type: txt lastkmsg.txt - [Click for QR Code] (33.2 KB, 92 views)