5,598,908 Members 30,719 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] **Updated 12/27/2010** Email.apk - Gingerbread src code w/o Exchange security

Tip us?

shafty023
Old
(Last edited by shafty023; 29th January 2011 at 05:49 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Default [APP] **Updated 12/27/2010** Email.apk - Gingerbread src code w/o Exchange security

I took the latest source code for Email.apk from CM7 and modified it to remove any Exchange Security policy enforcement. Benefits of doing it this way rather than using an older version of Email.apk is you get the new code updates.

Anyways enjoy and if you want to include this or redistribute please just give me credit for the modification.

Please note that this modified Email application is available for educational purposes only.

The following is a brief summary of what the modifications made to this application do:
NOTE: Security Policy is abbreviated as SP
  1. Disable requirement for a local Device Admin which disables the ability to Remote Wipe and to require a pinlock to use the device
  2. Acknowledge to the remote Exchange server that the SP's which this device supports are currently active. We do not fabricate the list of SP's that are supported. So if the current Android 2.3 src code does not support a specific SP then we do not lie and state it does. This means you could still be rejected by the remote Exchange server and not be able to sync with it. Stating what we support and actually supporting them are two different things.

If you want access to the modified source code you can grab it from HERE
Attached Files
File Type: apk Email.apk - [Click for QR Code] (940.6 KB, 26588 views)
My Qualifications
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science
Senior Android Developer

Apps I've developed
Enhanced Email
Silvercar
Boxer (Coming soon)

Contact Me
Twitter
Google+
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to shafty023 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

disgustip8ted
Old
Thanks Meter 8
give you credit as well as cyanogenmod crew and mtwebster

Galaxy Nexus GSM

Nexus One - Android 4.0.4 Texasice Evervolv-Perdo-2.1.0p11) - hboot(BlackRose) - data2ext class6 SD(data2whatever)

Moto Xoom AOSP(built by razorbladex401)

shafty023
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgustip8ted View Post
give you credit as well as cyanogenmod crew and mtwebster
Well, credit for the mod not any prior changes to this application's src code from the CM fork. As always I respect all developer's contributions no matter how small.

Also since this is a mod and not enhancement I'll never push these changes to the CM git repo to be added. I think Email has not had any individual contributions and is stock android 2.2.
My Qualifications
Senior Android Developer

Apps I've developed
Enhanced Email
Silvercar
Boxer (Coming soon)

Contact Me
Twitter
Google+

gIMpSTa
Old
Thanks Meter 105

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafty023 View Post
I think Email has not had any individual contributions and is stock android 2.2.
http://github.com/CyanogenMod/androi.../commits/froyo
Recovery Image: CWM

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 32gb
ROM: CM 10.1
Recovery Image: CWM

shafty023
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Ahhhh nice. I only checked the src out but hadn't checked history on it. I'm an SVN person and not familiar with git. Thanks man I'll hit up mtwebster as Email was an app I wanted to contribute to.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App
My Qualifications
Senior Android Developer

Apps I've developed
Enhanced Email
Silvercar
Boxer (Coming soon)

Contact Me
Twitter
Google+

krypticos
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Thank you everyone that worked on this apk. I have been wanting this sense cm 6 came out. Cause back on cm rc1 it didn't have the security settings, which I loved very much. There is only one thing I keep having is it keeps asking for me to set the security up. Idk if that's suppose to happen or not but I just wanted to let everyone know that it works but every hour or so it asks for security to be setup. Again thank you all.

fallingup
Old
(Last edited by fallingup; 5th September 2010 at 04:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 53
Im cookin up an update.zip for this, testing right now and i will upload when its done

Edit:: link for update zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/458252/kanged_email-signed.zip

works for me, thanks to shafty023 for modding the apk!
I am angel12 from modaco, ppcgeeks, alldroid, droidmod.org and most other forums, i just didnt get angel12 here for some reason, someone already had it.

Twitter.com/ang3l12

Current phones: Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, iPhone 5

shafty023
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypticos View Post
There is only one thing I keep having is it keeps asking for me to set the security up. Idk if that's suppose to happen or not but I just wanted to let everyone know that it works but every hour or so it asks for security to be setup. Again thank you all.
No it should not be asking you every hour for security. Make sure you removed the device admin (Android Settings -> Security) and removed the pin lock after you copied over the modded Email.apk. You do not need to reboot. I modded the src code to not check for security requirements on every ping to the Exchange server which is what you are experiencing. That would lead me to believe you're in a semi-modded state. Make sure you clear the notifications before you setup your Exchange account again or that notification "could" trigger the security requirement again. Remember, all this has to be done before you set up your Exchange account again.
My Qualifications
Senior Android Developer

Apps I've developed
Enhanced Email
Silvercar
Boxer (Coming soon)

Contact Me
Twitter
Google+

Nemphys
Old
Thanks Meter 2
According to the commits at the github, there should be an option to change the account color somewhere, but I don't see anything like that under account settings. Am I missing something?
Also, is it so hard to make html emails render properly? This is a must in my opinion and should be stock, but I wonder why our kind devs don't do something in that direction...

shafty023
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
According to the commits at the github, there should be an option to change the account color somewhere, but I don't see anything like that under account settings. Am I missing something?
Also, is it so hard to make html emails render properly? This is a must in my opinion and should be stock, but I wonder why our kind devs don't do something in that direction...
I'll check on the account color issue. As far as html email rendering, the email app will need an html renderer rather than a text renderer.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App
My Qualifications
Senior Android Developer

Apps I've developed
Enhanced Email
Silvercar
Boxer (Coming soon)

Contact Me
Twitter
Google+