Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,562 Members 54,031 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Search widget APK?

Tip us?

BeeDubs
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Google Search widget APK?

Since it does not seem possible to install the widget through the marketplace - testament of one user who played with the Fascinate in store - and many people won't know how to or will be afraid to root, can we get the Google Search widget APK file so people can install apps not from the market place? This way, users could install the widget and disable Bing.

Would that work as an alternative to rooting for the purpose of installing Google Search?

Epell
Old
(Last edited by Epell; 5th September 2010 at 03:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
does this work?
http://www.google.com/mobile/android/

seems like going to m.google.com on the phone should work.

Epell
Old
Thanks Meter 4
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...0-48668-a.html

I found this guy also. It's smoked version, but should alleviate bing pain.

dcarr622
Old
Thanks Meter 142
Anyone been able to find an APK of the original (non-smoked widget)? Would really be nice. What did people end up doing on the Backflip which has a similar problem being locked to Yahoo (which is now Bing ironically)??
  • Google Glass - #TeamShale
  • Nexus 5 - White - 16GB
  • Nexus 7 - White - Google I/O Edition
  • HP TouchPad 32GB
LG Optimus G E970, Galaxy Nexus GSM, HTC HD2 T9193, Samsung Galaxy S I9000M 'Bell Vibrant', HTC Tilt

namebrandon
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Right now Bing is tied to the search widgets via the browsers. You can install the Google search widget, but you'll get reidrected to Bing because Verizon hooked the browser. If you install a new browser (Dolphin HD has been confirmed to work) and set it as your default browser, you should be able to install the Google search widget and get results from Google. (You may need to clear some settings to remove the default browser choice). The widget is already on the device, it can be installed from LauncherPro (use LauncherPro to add the widget, it will find it).

Zennmaster
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by namebrandon View Post
Right now Bing is tied to the search widgets via the browsers. You can install the Google search widget, but you'll get reidrected to Bing because Verizon hooked the browser.
So could we "borrow" browser from one of the other variants' system dumps?

ace5198
Old
Thanks Meter 14
launcher pro does give you the widget. but your results will still come up as bing when you use it. and that interface sucks and the widget only shows up when using the launcher pro home screen.. it wont transfer to the regular screen

namebrandon
Old
Thanks Meter 34
If you install this .apk you should get your default Google searches back (ie no more Bing redirect). I think you'll still have to add the widget via LauncherPro, but at least you won't get hijacked any longer.
Attached Files
File Type: apk EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk - [Click for QR Code] (245.2 KB, 3098 views)

Zennmaster
Old
(Last edited by Zennmaster; 11th September 2010 at 04:53 AM.) Reason: Confirming Launcher Pro Needed.
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by namebrandon View Post
If you install this .apk you should get your default Google searches back (ie no more Bing redirect). I think you'll still have to add the widget via LauncherPro, but at least you won't get hijacked any longer.
Well whaddaya know, it works! You've De-Binged the fascinate!

Just 'cause I'm trying to learn more about this stuff, do you mind if I ask how yo found that?

-Z

Also, I can confirm, Launcher Pro is indeed needed to install the widget.

namebrandon
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Well, not quite.. You still need LauncherPro to get the widget, and for a lot of people, it doesn't fix the voice search via long-hold of the soft search key.. (if you hold the magnifying glass button down). But it does get us a good deal of the way towards getting rid of bing.

That particular .apk was from a Captivate I think? I found it posted at the AC forums for another (but similar) issue.