5,605,835 Members 47,885 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[App] I-RSS - Beta Closed (Updated 29.7.2011)

Tip us?

PaulosCZ
Old
(Last edited by PaulosCZ; 28th July 2011 at 10:47 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
Default [App] I-RSS - Beta Closed (Updated 29.7.2011)

UPDATE 29.7.2011 - The Private Beta is now closed. The first beta version is now entering testing phase.

Let's make some good app for Windows Phone 7! I've decided to make

This page is about the development of new Windows phone 7 RSS Client - I-RSS. It's in the final stage of development and the goal is to create fast, nice, intuitive and competitive RSS Reader - and then push it to Marketplace. The application will probably have free and paid version (which will cost less than $2), making it attractive for users.

Screenshot is truly Work In Progress! Last Update 10.3.2011

And what I'm currently planning for it?
  • An intuitive and clean RSS reader with Metro-like interface
    Progress: 95%
  • Option to add feeds directly or by choosing from webpage
    Progress: 95% (now only timeouts to handle)
  • Import / Export feeds from / to other feed aggregators
    Preparing import from Google Reader, later sync with GR
  • Add selected news to Instapaper / Read It Later - to read them later
    Progress: 85%
  • Sort the incoming news by date, source
    Progress: 98%
  • Flag some news items so you can return to them later
    Progress: 100%
  • Search in downloaded news
    Progress: 99% - every time there is something to do better
  • Push notifications, toasts and live tiles
    OK, this is unreal for the first versions of the app. I'll need to learn LOT about servers.

Progress of actual coding is currently approx. 85%.

Thanks goes to Captainkrtek, emuneee and mei_liberi_fatali for developing with me!

Stay tuned for news and CONTRIBUTE with your ideas!

-------------------------
Original post:
Hello folks,

I had an idea recently of writing a RSS application for WP7 which would not be based on Google Reader or anything like that. But I've caught myself into a limiting Microsoft trap.

And that is: How will users add feeds? Typing the whole URL of the feed? Not really good solution, I guess. Hovewer, I came with one solution, at last.

User would type in the address of the website (ie. www.cnn.com) and the application would search for all avaible RSS sources there and let user choose.

So I will need your help. What do you think about that? Do you have any other things you think they are worth trying?
Thanks in advance
Windows Mobile 7 fan & dev
Device: Samsung Omnia 7 - Mango
My WP7 Apps: SmartDial | Net Swiss Knife
For older HTC Diamond:
My ROMs: Ahen D6Torture - Build 23699 - Sense 2019 / Titanium with nice icons - available for download, discontinued
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulosCZ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PaulosCZ
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
Default I-RSS Reservé

I think I'll reserve this one, in case I would release the app...
For older HTC Diamond:
My ROMs: Ahen D6Torture - Build 23699 - Sense 2019 / Titanium with nice icons - available for download, discontinued

Tom Servo
Old
Thanks Meter 26
I don't see where the problem is in combining both in the same place.

You need an URL entry field anyway. Once the user hits enter, make a request to the URL. If it's a RSS feed that's returned, add it immediately, if it's HTML, scan for RSS feed links in the meta section and have the user select.

irdawood
Old
Thanks Meter 3
also make sure you have an import export function, something that is universal i think is OMAP?

PaulosCZ
Old
(Last edited by PaulosCZ; 6th September 2010 at 06:40 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
I don't see where the problem is in combining both in the same place.

You need an URL entry field anyway. Once the user hits enter, make a request to the URL. If it's a RSS feed that's returned, add it immediately, if it's HTML, scan for RSS feed links in the meta section and have the user select.
Well, there is no problem with that, actually it was my suggestion. Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdawood View Post
also make sure you have an import export function, something that is universal i think is OMAP?
Be sure I'll do that... but that's another problem, where to load from / save to? We could maybe import feeds from Google Reader, but what would be the point of G:RSS then? (Items sync... I know )
Export... I could send the OPML file (no OMAP!) through email but I have to make sure I can do that using dev tools first.
Or upload to some file sharing server...

Anyways: Stay tuned for news!
For older HTC Diamond:

mesofly
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hope you've got more planned for your rss feed reader than automatically finding feeds based on domain name since Google reader already does that.

imho - syncing with an existing rss reader is the best bet. What user would want to have to resubscribe to all their feeds?

vangrieg
Old
Thanks Meter 44
I wouldn't want to resubscribe but quite often want to add a feed on my phone as it's my primary device for casual browsing. Lack of copy/paste is a real limiting factor.

OndraSter
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 277

DONATE TO ME
You have got here one big problem - no background app running possibility, so when new RSS comes, you won't be able to download it without firing the application first.

The only way how to get notifications is via online notifications, which means you'll have to run server where you'll fire these notifications to phone.

Or that's what I remember from KeyNote...
Lumia 920 + 800 - Official WP AppHub developer

PINCH TO ZOOM ON ANY WINMO DEVICE! | Start Menu Back Gesture | LockScreenPatcher | Move the keyboard to the bottom
====
[CPR & PLG Resolution Convertors] | [Right Click Recmod and Reverse] | [REG/RGU Cleaner] | [Hacking ConnectionSetupDB files]
====
Do you like my work? Buy me beer.
Have you bricked your phone? I can reflash bootloader and radio when you can't anymore! PM me!

PaulosCZ
Old
(Last edited by PaulosCZ; 22nd September 2010 at 09:24 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
Of course I'm planning more things for my application! Push notifications will be a pain in the back for a while - let's hope I'll sort that out.

BTW I've updated the first post with some of my progress! Please check periodically to see what I want to have in the app and contribute with anything you find useful! In a while (few days) I'll add some screenshots with my progress.
For older HTC Diamond:

PaulosCZ
Old
(Last edited by PaulosCZ; 26th September 2010 at 10:13 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
Default First screenshots added

Okay, so I'm releasing first screenshots of the actual I-RSS design. You can find them in the first post, along with some progress changes.

The design can be changed, as well as other things - nothing is final, as there is still lot of work to do. Please write if you don't like it or you have some thoughts. (But also write if you like it ) This way we'll make better app for you and everyone else!

The offer to contribute to development is still valid! It's also in the first post.

Thanks for any response!
For older HTC Diamond: