Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,293 Members 39,050 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Android Keyboard with Alt key?

Tip us?

yocky
Old
(Last edited by yocky; 7th September 2010 at 02:20 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Android Keyboard with Alt key?

Is there a way of submitting Alt commands via an Android keyboard to my windows PC?

I presently use Air Mouse on an Ipod Touch to control my HTPC remotely.

This is the only use I have for the thing and I'd like to think that there will be the perfect Android solution for me soon.

The benefit of Air Mouse over RemoteDroid and GMote is the Alt key ability which neither of the Android apps have (or if they have I haven't found it yet), a function I find a lot of use for.

(I should add that the only Android device I have at present is an HTC Desire....so I guess that could be the limitation rather than the apps)

ZeroBarrier
Old
Thanks Meter 32
I don't really understand what you mean by alt key ability. Could you please explain, and maybe we can help sugest a solution?

What is it that this alt key ability of air mouse do, or more importantly, what is it that you want to accomplish with such an alt key ability?

yocky
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for the reply, I had a feeling I wasn't being very clear.

I'd like to use my Android device as a trackpad and mouse for my HTPC.

My media player of choice (MPC-HC) uses a lot of keyboard shortcuts with the "Alt" signifier. For example Alt+X closes the program. These shortcuts are especially important because the program runs in a fullscreen mode which removes any context menus.

All the various android soft keyboards I have seen have no Alt key so I would lose a lot of functionality controlling the HTPC from an android device.

I have read that pressing the trackball twice on an HTC Desire may be a substitute for pressing the "Alt" key but have never got this to work in practice.

ZeroBarrier
Old
(Last edited by ZeroBarrier; 8th September 2010 at 03:16 PM.)
Thanks Meter 32
Just found an app that might suit your needs. I suggest you check it out.

GRemote Pro

Edit:

Ok, I just tried this app out, and it does exactly what you need.

It comes packed with an app alt, ctrl, tab and del buttons that let you alt+tab among other things.

I didn't see MPC-HC in the server setup, but that's not a problem as you can configure your own profiles with specific commands.

Fair warning, it's a bit on the slow side (seems to be a port of a winmo app), but I'm sure it'll get better with time and updates. It's a very polished Remote app for android and it even comes with drivers for a G-sensor controller to play games with (use android as wii-mote/controller).

This app defenitly rocks.

yocky
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
You sir (or madam) are a legend.

I was disappointed at first to see that this app doesn't simply add Alt and Ctrl keys to the standard keyboard, but it does allow considerable control of the media player directly.

Need to have a much longer play to see if it's really what I need...but I appreciate your effort already.
The Following User Says Thank You to yocky For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

theperson333
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Default Another Suggestion

Have you tried unified remote?

It's got a full windows keyboard, You can create your own custom remotes and if you wanted, you could even have multiple droids connected.

Yes, this reply is s bit late, but better late than never
Devices
Xperia m c1905(a perfect companion for mn2)

Samsung Galaxy mini

SmartWatch(mn2)

Nokia 6500

Instead of typing thanks, why not press thanks if I helped you?
The Following User Says Thank You to theperson333 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kamilmirza
Old
Thanks Meter 269
try Hackers Keyboard
hit the THANKS button if helped
Google Nexus 5