Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,248 Members 37,933 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unrooted Evo stuck in boot loop

Tip us?

Pierceye
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Default Unrooted Evo stuck in boot loop

Hey, just putting it this out there. Had a problem with an Evo getting stuck in a boot loop. Not sure what the cause was. I did search the forums for a fix but everything I could find was referring to a rooted phone, and the problem with Exchange type e-mail did not apply in this instance. This phone was not being used with that type of e-mail account and the password was alphanumeric anyway. I did notice that the phone would reboot spontaneously on occasion early on, but I did not worry about it. I had read on the forums here that weird reboots are not all that uncommon. However, as time went by, the phone seemed to be getting more and more unstable. It has now reached the point that it will go through the boot cycle up to the 4G splash screen, then shut down and start over. I contacted Sprint, but being out of the 30 day trial period the only thing they were willing to do is file an insurance claim. So I talked to HTC and started the warranty repair process. The CSR I spoke with said it sounded like a chip had gone bad. Seems pretty painless so far but there is a bs "Triage and Technical Assesment" fee. Better than paying the $100 for the insurance though. Not looking for a fix. More just letting folks know. I would be interested to hear from any one that has gone through a warranty claim with HTC though. Still lovin' my Evo.

Pierceye
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Quick update. Received a call from HTC Customer care today. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that the phone was repaired and on it's way back. It was only mailed out last Friday, so I don't think they could have gotten it until Monday or more probably Tuesday. At any rate, the CSR said that it was repaired and that they had also been able to fix the light bleed at the bottom of the screen. I was told to expect it Friday, so here's hoping.
Phone: VZW Galaxy Nexus
Current ROM: Paranoid Android 3.6
Recovery: TWRP 2.4.2.0
Root Method: Manual using a combo of efrant's, Jubakuba's and mskips guides
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

bharris25
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Don't know about the Evo but when I had issues with my diamond after a year I just went up to Sprint, the first time they tried to fix it and it seemed to work but shortly started doing what it was doing again, second trip they replaced it. Didn't have another problem.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
HTC EVO 4G
Stock 2.2 for now.

Pierceye
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Just adding some additional info here. I had my phone go bad with the exact same problem, 5 or 6 weeks after my girlfriends arrived. After a lot of horsing around with Sprint trying to get the problem resolved I sent this one back to HTC as well. I was pretty disappointed when they told me over the phone that it would be 2-3 weeks before it was sent back. Long story short, I called a few days later for a status update and they told me the phone was repaired, shipped, and out for delivery that day. A very pleasant surprise to say the least. They also told me what repairs were made on both phones. Main board replacement for each device. Seems like some of the early hardware might be a little sub par. The nice part is HTC seems to be on the ball when it comes to warranty repair. Some helpful info also; The triage fee is only charged if they deem the phone to have damage not covered by the warranty; Use the small Priority Mail Flat Rate box. $13 for guaranteed 2 day shipping, Delivery Confirmation(tracking #), and $500 insurance.
Tags
boot loop