I published it a few weeks ago via twitter but I think I should post it here to:
I have written an App to replace the stock AppWidgetPicker. (you know long press on the homescreen -> add -> widget) which groups the widgets by packages.
So if you have a widget installed that has 3 different sizes, there is only one entry in the list and if you click it you can pick the size in a second dialog.
The main problem is that it needs to be installed on /system cause android will not grand the needed permission to any app installed on /data.
The APK is attached
The source can be found here
Its all released under Apache 2.0 license.
Hope you like it.
* Download the attached APK file
* Rename it to "AppWidgetPicker.apk"
* copy it to /system/app
* make sure it has the same file permissions as the other files in that directory
* maybe reboot.
* Don't install it just copy it!
* Doesn't work with HTC-Sense but should work with all "Stock-Based" Launchers like Launcher PRO, ADW, Zeam etc. pp.
Screenshot Version 1.2.3:
Screenshot Version 2.0:
The attached version should work with eclair, froyo and gingerbread!
* HC Style widget picking
* fixed dutch translation
* added portuguese translation (Thx to PinhoPT)
* added dutch translation (Thx to Hallahan)
* added norwegian translation (Thx to Royan)
* added russian translation (Thx to creage)
* added italian translation (Thx to etoy)
* added france translation (Thx to EViollet)
* Fixed sorting of the subitems
* now displays the number of subitems
* Fixed sorting (Thx to Se7enLC)
* Fixed layouts (should look more android like)
* Fixed black background while scrolling (with CM)
* Fixed FC
everytime someone don't follow the instructions and get a FC afterwards a kitten dies!
Version 2 only works with android 3.1 or above!