XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Missing AdbWinApi.dll

Tip us?

unolax
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Missing AdbWinApi.dll

I installed the SDK and have run my ADB scripts for my samsung Vibrant before, I got home today and got a "The Program can't stat because AdbWinApi.dll is missing from your computer" error. I uninstalled the SDK and reinstalled it rebooting my computer after each just to make sure. I also tried moving the AdbWinApi.dll file to my Windows/System32 folder along with the Adb.exe.

I am running windows 7 64bit
Core I7 920 @2.67 GHz
6 GB ram
ATI 5750 Vid card

Any help would be great.
Cheers,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unolax For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rhymestars
Old
Thanks Meter 5

DONATE TO ME
Default i figured it out

download daemon tools. install the free version. close cmd
open cmd
re type your path. and your computer should stop complaining about a missing driver.

This worked for me and i now have full access. hope this helps

alekosy
Old
(Last edited by alekosy; 2nd October 2010 at 08:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Try this.

Shift + Right Click on folder C:\android-sdk-windows\tools, go to command mode option from there, and you should see it coming up with a command screen, type in adb devices with your phone plugged into the computer. If it shows your daemon is killing server, don't kill the window yet. Just wait...

It was meant to do this someway or whatever since I have a custom built PC for gaming and other purposes. I just didn't get the tech nerd answer right away for every problem solved, but it was all from you guys in XDA-developers, so I had this same error from trying to run 'adb' from start panel, and it didn't work because it was telling me my adb was needed to be re-installed and my AdbWinUsbApi.dll was missing from my folder, and It didn't tell me what folder, so I remembered my old way of learning how to run adb for the first time with my device.

Shift + Right Click tools folder from C:\android-sdk-windows as in C:\android-sdk-windows - Shift + Right Click RUN COMMAND PROMPT MODE. It should be fine after running this commands for your devices to show in the list.

type:

adb devices
adb remount - This is if your connected to a device already after.
adb install C:\android-sdk-windows\tools\setcpu.apk - example of your first apk file install.

Running the daemon killing server isn't gonna do anything to your phone like technically ruin it or trash it but its not, honestly, I never seen my phone ruined from this daemon killing server part, so if anyone cared to explained?
The Following User Says Thank You to alekosy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

umaronly
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alekosy View Post
Try this.

Shift + Right Click on folder C:\android-sdk-windows\tools, go to command mode option from there, and you should see it coming up with a command screen, type in adb devices with your phone plugged into the computer. If it shows your daemon is killing server, don't kill the window yet. Just wait...

It was meant to do this someway or whatever since I have a custom built PC for gaming and other purposes. I just didn't get the tech nerd answer right away for every problem solved, but it was all from you guys in XDA-developers, so I had this same error from trying to run 'adb' from start panel, and it didn't work because it was telling me my adb was needed to be re-installed and my AdbWinUsbApi.dll was missing from my folder, and It didn't tell me what folder, so I remembered my old way of learning how to run adb for the first time with my device.

Shift + Right Click tools folder from C:\android-sdk-windows as in C:\android-sdk-windows - Shift + Right Click RUN COMMAND PROMPT MODE. It should be fine after running this commands for your devices to show in the list.

type:

adb devices
adb remount - This is if your connected to a device already after.
adb install C:\android-sdk-windows\tools\setcpu.apk - example of your first apk file install.

Running the daemon killing server isn't gonna do anything to your phone like technically ruin it or trash it but its not, honestly, I never seen my phone ruined from this daemon killing server part, so if anyone cared to explained?
Sorry guys

Its been about a week since I have been trying on google, unlockr as well as xda forums for unlocking bootloader for nexus S, and I STILL am stuck at my device not showing up when I type 'adb devices' even though I have tried SDK drivers, PDAnet drivers, etc...countless restarts, countless uninstalls, following each and every method to the letter. The closest I have come is to alekosy's issue above where daemon kills the process as he describes and then, nothing. I keep waiting. Every time once daemon starts, whenever I type adb devices, I only get this 'list of devices attached'...and nothing else. in device manager, device driver shows installed correctly...

I would be heavily indebted to anyone who could show me the light (get my device show up in adb devices and then allow me to root).

Thanks a bunch!

(Frustrated beyond belief!! )

espentan
Old
Thanks Meter 28
I don't know if you've figured this one out yet, but here's the solution to a potential cause.

You need to add the directory containing the "AdbWinApi.dll" to Windows' path under Environment Variables, so Windows know where to look for the necessary files when you enter commands in the shell.

For this exercise I'm going to assume that you have installed the Android SDK in the directory called "android-sdk-windows" on your C: hard drive. If you have it installed somewhere else, change the path I'm mentioning below accordingly.

Go to the Windows "Control Panel".
Click on "System and Security".
Click on "System".
Click on "Advanced system settings" in the left column of the window you're in.
Find the button called "Environment Variables" in the window that opens (it's at the bottom on the first tab).
Scroll down in the "System variables" box until you find "Path".
Select "Path" and click the "Edit" button.
At the very beginning of the input field called "Variable value" enter the following:
"C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools;" (without the quotes).
Do not remove any of the other paths, and make sure you have a semi colon at the end of the new path you're adding.
Reboot.

Now the windows command shell knows where to find the necessary DLL's and whatnot.
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to espentan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

twistadias
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Thanks espentan. That worked for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twistadias For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

x50vFiascoToBeauty
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default An easier way

[fastboot does not work, adb works]

No need to fiddle with environment variables. This should do it:

cd C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
..\tools\fastboot.exe devices
etc.

Explanation: the dll's (along with adb) were moved to platform-tools. Issuing fastboot from this directory, using '..', which means "up one directory level", with 'tools' then picks up the dll's.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to x50vFiascoToBeauty For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nasuc
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Thank you very,very much....that worked like a charm..after hours of head aches...

nasuc
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistadias View Post
Thanks espentan. That worked for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by espentan View Post
I don't know if you've figured this one out yet, but here's the solution to a potential cause.

You need to add the directory containing the "AdbWinApi.dll" to Windows' path under Environment Variables, so Windows know where to look for the necessary files when you enter commands in the shell.

For this exercise I'm going to assume that you have installed the Android SDK in the directory called "android-sdk-windows" on your C: hard drive. If you have it installed somewhere else, change the path I'm mentioning below accordingly.

Go to the Windows "Control Panel".
Click on "System and Security".
Click on "System".
Click on "Advanced system settings" in the left column of the window you're in.
Find the button called "Environment Variables" in the window that opens (it's at the bottom on the first tab).
Scroll down in the "System variables" box until you find "Path".
Select "Path" and click the "Edit" button.
At the very beginning of the input field called "Variable value" enter the following:
"C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools;" (without the quotes).
Do not remove any of the other paths, and make sure you have a semi colon at the end of the new path you're adding.
Reboot.

Now the windows command shell knows where to find the necessary DLL's and whatnot.
That worked for me too. Very easy explanation...!!! Thanks

sgtmedeiros
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Alot easier fix, go to google type in adbwinapi.dll and download it.

Put it in sdk/tools

Done

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sgtmedeiros For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]