Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,384 Members 43,294 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[FIX] GPS files ripped from leaked JI2, flashable zip

Tip us?

frankencat
Old
(Last edited by frankencat; 16th November 2010 at 06:33 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
Default [FIX] GPS files ripped from leaked JI2, flashable zip

Just thought I would share this in case anybody wants to try it. Someone posted the GPS files from the newly released firmware and I packaged it up in a flashable zip that is attached to this post.

I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly suprised to find that my GPS was working better and my compass actually works. It's not perfect and I make no promises about it's validity or completeness other than that I packaged it up and flashed it on my phone with no problems and it seems to have made a positive difference without having to flash the entire firmware. Give it a try if you are so inclined and let us know if it works for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a little I put together to help people install this using ROM Manager/Clockwork Recovery:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEFORE YOU START YOU MUST HAVE...

* Root access.
* ROM Manager from the market with Clockwork Recovery. (If you have another way to flash the .zip file then feel free to use that. This was tested using Clockwork Recovery and I highly recommend using it.)

ONCE YOU ARE ROOTED AND HAVE CLOCKWORK RECOVERY INSTALLED FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS IN ORDER...

1. Save/download the attached file to internal SD card (/sdcard directory in Astro).

2. Open the ROM Manager application and select "Reboot into Recovery"....

- The phone will reboot and you will be in recovery mode. To navigate the recovery menus use Volume +/- to move up and down through the menus and use the Power Button to select.

2a. If you see the green menu with the title "ClockworkMod Recovery" at the top then skip this step. If you see a blue menu select "Reinstall Packages" and press the Power Button. This will bring you to the ClockworkMod Recovery menu.

3. Select "install zip from sdcard" and press the Power Button.

4. Select "choose zip from sdcard" and press the Power Button.

5. Select "Vibrant-JI2-GPS.zip" and press the Power Button.

6. Select "Yes - Install...." and press the Power Button.

You should see the updater being installed. When finished it will say "Installation complete" or "Install from sdcard complete".

7. Select "++++Go Back++++" and press the Power Button.

8. Select "reboot system now" and press the Power Button.

- Your phone will reboot and you should be good to go. The first time you fire up the GPS it may take a few minutes but after that it should lock on pretty fast. I get an average of 7 locks out of 12 satellites in view with an accuracy of <30 feet. It seems to get better the longer it runs but it's plenty good enough for navigation while driving which is what I use the GPS for.

Hope this helps. God bless.
-F

ATTENTION: THIS IS NOT FOR 2.2 FROYO ROMS!!! IF YOU FLASH THIS ON 2.2 IT WILL BREAK YOUR GPS AND QUITE POSSIBLY BRICK YOUR DEVICE!!!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Vibrant-JI2-GPS.zip - [Click for QR Code] (390.7 KB, 6133 views)
Samsung Galaxy S II
# Stock Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
# Rooted & Tweaked
# ClockWorkMod Recovery
# Apex Launcher

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
# Stock (for now)

sombionix
Old
Retired Forum Mod
Thanks Meter 2437

DONATE TO ME
Testing now. If all goes well, its going in my rom tonight. Thanks for this!
Follow Me On Twitter
Sombionix - Team Whiskey - Lead Developer/Founder
Samsung SGSIII

siirial
Old
(Last edited by siirial; 14th September 2010 at 03:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 15
Flashes fine. Boots fine. GPS improvements should be similar to those that used the files directly.

Would rather use GPS for a couple days before making an opinion.

Thanks for the zip. I've been lazy and didn't want to dust ODIN off for just the small improvements in the update.
@chaddreier | I like beer too, but you should probably get an FFC for your Vibrant..

HTC Sensation 4G
Revolution 3.6.5XE - included kernel and recommended radio.

Samsung Tab
Overcome 3.0.1 - Using as a phone temporarily... meh

Samsung Galaxy S 4g
Gave to wife when she broke the Nexus...

*DEAD* Samsung Vibrant + i9k FFC | *Died* Google Nexus One (missing volume rocker) | Tmobile G1 (Kept for novelty)

creator2456
Old
Thanks Meter 176

DONATE TO ME
I pulled and placed the files myself and the results were great. Lock in under 5 seconds and consistently 7+ satellites.

granduke
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Finally a working GPS. Works great so far. Thanks.

rUsTyRuSs
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Sorry to go a bit off topic but is it possible to do the same for the battery full notification? The GPS and notification were the most notable changes in the leak imo. Thank you in advance,
Russ

zoid_99
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Play by play action. Just installed it and after 30 seconds I have 0 fix on 2 sats. Now at one min and have 0 fix on 3 sats. Two minutes and 0/3. Compass is also confused... 3 minutes and 0/3. I say it's a failure. 3.5 minutes and 0/4 and still no fix.

Wait! I just got 4/6 and 20 meters accuracy.

This is the first time this phone has ever locked in on more that 2 birds. Accuracy isn't great but this is progress I guess

snowdogging
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This one doesn't fix my gps. Does anyone know of any other gps settings that exist outside of this update?

The K-Zoo Kid
Old
Thanks Meter 4
good lookin bruh
Tmo GSII CM10
Transformer Prime Stock ICS

zoid_99
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Followup to my "Play by play". Outside I got 6/9 and 20ft error. It seemed to follow me pretty well. After short time testing I'll have to say that this is much improved. Like I said before I have never locked on to more than two sats.