[Q] Vibrant / Android universality please explain

OP accordex

15th September 2010, 06:04 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Kent
Thanks Meter: 37

542 posts
More
Is there a reason, why android devices have no universal plug/port like "the other popular phone maker?"

Loving my new phone (vibrant ) and all, but I cannot seem to find any kind of accessories for it...I'm guessing the reason is, that first of all the USB sync/Power port is on the TOP of the phone!? what is the reason for this?? it would seem to me if you want to get ahead in the market, you would do what the other guys did and make it (while proprietary ), somewhat .."universal"??? so that if...for example you're looking for something as simple as a desktop dock, you would not be required to have a plastic base sitting on your desk, with a cord that has to wrap around and plug IN to the top of your phone?

I understand many different MFGs make android phones, but could they maybe all agree to disagree on different ports, yet keep them all in ONE position, where adapters could be applied??
15th September 2010, 06:20 AM   |  #2  
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 51

749 posts
More
MicroUSB is the new standard for all phones from now on I believe, so if anything, you already have the most "universal" charging/data port. Apple is the black sheep in this case.

So as for accessories, most home/car chargers and data cables will work, but body styles are always going to be different, so docks and cases are what will have to be specific to your phone.

As for the placement of the port, its meant for horizontal docking.
15th September 2010, 12:52 PM   |  #3  
Flag Fayetteville, NC
Thanks Meter: 169

731 posts
More
Micro USB is universal (even in its name!). My work blackberry, CAC reader for BB, and my vibrant all use the same plug/port and also the chargers & sync cables all are interchangeable. I personall LOVE the top position of the plug as I use navigation app all the time and can drop my vibrant into the cup holder in my pickup and avoid two major issues found in bottom positioned plugs. 1.) Phone easily stays in place, no wobbiling on its plug in the cup holder. 2.) No stress placed on port from the weight of the phone resting on it. I use the audio jack to play music to my speakers while charging on my PC with the micro usb, so the set up works for me very well. As for other brands, assuming apple products, they are far far far from being universal. Hell span their own Ipod line and there isnt consistency. shuffels have audio jack as the com port while the other models use the proprietary apple plug to usb cable.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread