Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,879 Members 43,989 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I wrote an app to control my phone through google talk

Tip us?

chm.duquesne
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default I wrote an app to control my phone through google talk

Hey guys!

I developed TalkMyPhone, an open-source app that enables you to control your phone from google talk. It's like android-notifier on steroids, since it brings almost the same features and you don't need wifi/bluetooth enabled.

I can't post links since I'm new here. Google for talkmyphone or look for it on the market.

Developers: I'm open to contributions
Users: please use the issue tracker for suggesting features

I don't have many non-french users since the info did not spread very well outside of french blogs, so I'm posting it here. I hope someone will find it useful and write something about it.

khaytsus
Old
Thanks Meter 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by chm.duquesne View Post
Hey guys!

I developed TalkMyPhone, an open-source app that enables you to control your phone from google talk. It's like android-notifier on steroids, since it brings almost the same features and you don't need wifi/bluetooth enabled.

I can't post links since I'm new here. Google for talkmyphone or look for it on the market.

Developers: I'm open to contributions
Users: please use the issue tracker for suggesting features

I don't have many non-french users since the info did not spread very well outside of french blogs, so I'm posting it here. I hope someone will find it useful and write something about it.
Do you need multiple GTalk accounts in order to talk to it, or can you "talk to yourself" ?
AT&T LG G2 - 4.4.4, AOKP
Nexus 7 Wifi 2012 - 4.4.4, AOKP (m-kernel)
Samsung Note i717 - 4.2.2, Unofficial AOKP
Try my Alternative XDA CSS Themes (including 2010!)

--
http://theblackmoor.net
http://unlimitedphoto.com

MacaronyMax
Old
Thanks Meter 626
Niice Idea

baldandtopless
Old
Thanks Meter 0
sweeeet thx

TMReuffurth
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Doesn´t work on my SGS. After trying to to login the app closed. And now i can´t open it again. Even every other app wont start.

Only a restart helped. Uninstalled.

But the idea is interessting. maybe i´ll give a try again later.
Samsung Galaxy S
RIP - HTC Touch HD
blackSTONEhenge™ HyPer v2.0

chm.duquesne
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
Do you need multiple GTalk accounts in order to talk to it, or can you "talk to yourself" ?
The 2 solutions work. Talking to yourself is possible in gmail, but you cannot initiate the conversation, so in this case, best is to use a third party client like pidgin. Otherwise you can set up a second account. Any standard jabber account is possible.

Accounts delivered at jabber.org are *very* easy to get. You don't need to give your email address, you don't need to sign an agreement. You just have to fill a captcha to prove you're human.

Quote:
Doesn´t work on my SGS. After trying to to login the app closed. And now i can´t open it again. Even every other app wont start.

Only a restart helped. Uninstalled.
Weird. Some unlucky people experiment bugs like this one. I don't know where this comes from, and I try to improve the code. It works 100% of the time for me, so all I can do is look at 'adb logcat' traces users leave on the bugtracker. If you wish to do so, it might improve your chances to see this fixed

timothydonohue
Old
(Last edited by timothydonohue; 21st September 2010 at 09:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 83
giving it a shot

you may try changing your preferences.xml to the attached (just because of english, just change .zip to .xml)

i have to find the other file, because i noticed some other grammatical things. no worries tho

and, 'additional settings', in the xml has too many 'n's, lol
Attached Files
File Type: zip preferences.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.1 KB, 23 views)
If you need help, try IRC #Cyanogenmod in freenode.net
Someone may be able to help you there. I will try, if I'm on.

chm.duquesne
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothydonohue View Post
giving it a shot

you may try changing your preferences.xml to the attached (just because of english, just change .zip to .xml)

i have to find the other file, because i noticed some other grammatical things. no worries tho

and, 'additional settings', in the xml has too many 'n's, lol
Thank you, I'll update that in the next release.

khukman
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Pretty Neat

I was able to go on Google Talk on my PC and send messages to my phone. The copy:text feature I can definitely see myself using so that I don't have to type long URLs in the browser. The other functions seem like they would be nice if you lost your phone or if it was stolen. Overall a pretty neat app! Thanks!

Rob
HTC Incredible
Virtuous Rom 2.7

Paul22000
Old
(Last edited by Paul22000; 22nd September 2010 at 07:12 PM.)
Thanks Meter 139

DONATE TO ME
So I have the app running and logged in. (Phone is logged into Paul@gmail.com)

On my PC I have John@gmail.com. I message from PC to phone (John to Paul) and nothing happens.

I tried "where" "ring" etc, but the app doesn't respond. What am I doing wrong?