LG G3 Receives Oversharpening Fix via Modified Kernel

Nothing is perfect, as they say. No matter how alluring or seemingly perfect, … more

APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

I wrote an app to control my phone through google talk

OP chm.duquesne

19th September 2010, 01:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Hey guys!

I developed TalkMyPhone, an open-source app that enables you to control your phone from google talk. It's like android-notifier on steroids, since it brings almost the same features and you don't need wifi/bluetooth enabled.

I can't post links since I'm new here. Google for talkmyphone or look for it on the market.

Developers: I'm open to contributions
Users: please use the issue tracker for suggesting features

I don't have many non-french users since the info did not spread very well outside of french blogs, so I'm posting it here. I hope someone will find it useful and write something about it.
19th September 2010, 04:07 PM   |  #2  
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,113

7,007 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chm.duquesne

Hey guys!

I developed TalkMyPhone, an open-source app that enables you to control your phone from google talk. It's like android-notifier on steroids, since it brings almost the same features and you don't need wifi/bluetooth enabled.

I can't post links since I'm new here. Google for talkmyphone or look for it on the market.

Developers: I'm open to contributions
Users: please use the issue tracker for suggesting features

I don't have many non-french users since the info did not spread very well outside of french blogs, so I'm posting it here. I hope someone will find it useful and write something about it.

Do you need multiple GTalk accounts in order to talk to it, or can you "talk to yourself" ?
19th September 2010, 04:12 PM   |  #3  
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 626

13,593 posts
More
Niice Idea
19th September 2010, 08:53 PM   |  #4  

37 posts
sweeeet thx
19th September 2010, 10:12 PM   |  #5  
Flag Aljezur

262 posts
More
Doesnīt work on my SGS. After trying to to login the app closed. And now i canīt open it again. Even every other app wont start.

Only a restart helped. Uninstalled.

But the idea is interessting. maybe iīll give a try again later.
20th September 2010, 12:04 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaytsus

Do you need multiple GTalk accounts in order to talk to it, or can you "talk to yourself" ?

The 2 solutions work. Talking to yourself is possible in gmail, but you cannot initiate the conversation, so in this case, best is to use a third party client like pidgin. Otherwise you can set up a second account. Any standard jabber account is possible.

Accounts delivered at jabber.org are *very* easy to get. You don't need to give your email address, you don't need to sign an agreement. You just have to fill a captcha to prove you're human.

Quote:

Doesnīt work on my SGS. After trying to to login the app closed. And now i canīt open it again. Even every other app wont start.

Only a restart helped. Uninstalled.

Weird. Some unlucky people experiment bugs like this one. I don't know where this comes from, and I try to improve the code. It works 100% of the time for me, so all I can do is look at 'adb logcat' traces users leave on the bugtracker. If you wish to do so, it might improve your chances to see this fixed
21st September 2010, 09:56 PM   |  #7  
Flag Portland, Maine
Thanks Meter: 114

1,529 posts
More
giving it a shot

you may try changing your preferences.xml to the attached (just because of english, just change .zip to .xml)

i have to find the other file, because i noticed some other grammatical things. no worries tho

and, 'additional settings', in the xml has too many 'n's, lol
Attached Files
File Type: zip preferences.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.1 KB, 23 views)
Last edited by timothydonohue; 21st September 2010 at 10:11 PM.
21st September 2010, 11:07 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothydonohue

giving it a shot

you may try changing your preferences.xml to the attached (just because of english, just change .zip to .xml)

i have to find the other file, because i noticed some other grammatical things. no worries tho

and, 'additional settings', in the xml has too many 'n's, lol

Thank you, I'll update that in the next release.
22nd September 2010, 06:36 PM   |  #9  
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 1

46 posts
More
Pretty Neat
I was able to go on Google Talk on my PC and send messages to my phone. The copy:text feature I can definitely see myself using so that I don't have to type long URLs in the browser. The other functions seem like they would be nice if you lost your phone or if it was stolen. Overall a pretty neat app! Thanks!

Rob
HTC Incredible
Virtuous Rom 2.7
22nd September 2010, 07:56 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 140

3,473 posts
Donate to Me
So I have the app running and logged in. (Phone is logged into Paul@gmail.com)

On my PC I have John@gmail.com. I message from PC to phone (John to Paul) and nothing happens.

I tried "where" "ring" etc, but the app doesn't respond. What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by Paul22000; 22nd September 2010 at 08:12 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread