Questions before flash

Search This thread

ibizaGTi

May 14, 2009
Hey guys.

I know this has probably been asked/answered a million times before, but hopefully you can understand me wanting a final confirmation before i risk my £500 phone...I have done a lot of reading around this subject, and and *think* i have my head around the most of it now.
Sorry for the block of text, I have put my actual questions in blue to make them a little easier to spot.

So I have the 16GB Galaxy S from Vodafone UK. It is currently completely stock (not even rooted), and is running the JF3 firmware. The details of the phone are:

PDA: I9000XXJF3
Phone: I9000XXJF3
CSC: I9000VODJE4

The phone is unbranded, and will accept an o2 SIM, so I assume it is SIM unlocked.

I am wanting to try out Froyo on my device, and think the JM8 build is going to be the most appropriate.
Do I need to root/backup anything on my phone first? (I am fine with losing apps etc, and would rather reinstall from scratch anyway).

I have signed up to SamFirmwares, and have downloaded the file GT-I9000_I9000XWJM8_I9000XXJM4_CODE-MODEM, which I believe is the right firmware for my phone and region. I have also downloaded the s1_odin_20100512.pit file, which i *think* is the right one.
I also got the CSC_I9000OXAJM1.tar.md5 file which i think should be the right one. I also have Odin3 v1.3.

Can someone please just confirm these are the correct files for me?

So, all I need to do is:

- Start ODIN.
- Put my phone into download mode.
- Select the Re-Partition box, and make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked.
-Select the CODE file in the PDA box, and the Modem file in the PHONE box.
- Put the CSC_I9000OXAJM1.tar.md5 in the CSC box.
- Press Start.

Am I right to think my phone will now flash?

What are the likely-hood of me bricking/destroying my phone if I follow this procedure?

Again, I'm sorry that you have probably answered these questions a hundred times before, but hopefully you can understand why I want to be sure I'm doing this right :).

ickyboo

Oct 26, 2007
Syd
Before you do anything please check if you CAN access download mode. If you can then its all GOOD! you are spot on and I congrats you on doing your research as many don't. Also PLEASE don't install the Froyo Betas as you can see for yourself (JPH/JP3) that theres ALOT of problems on it especially if you don't know much about flashing. Just wait another week or less for OFFICIAL FROYO as if something does go wrong we can actually get support from Samsung as its OFFICIAL.

Also NO you do not need to root your phone. You can do that if you choose to afterwards with a rom update/custom mod. Or just download the samsung root app from market :) rooting is very painless.

andrewluecke

Jul 11, 2010
JM8 is NOT froyo.. It's eclair... (JP# is the currently designated Froyo series, but I suspect the designators may change after it becomes stable to the per-month thing)...

Honestly, at this point of time though, it isn't worth it. Samsung seems to have backported the highmem patch to eclair anyway, and Froyo isn't yet stable. Furthermore, there are reports of people's imei getting corrupted (which is fine if you back up /efs maybe, but it still isn't a safe operation).

Honestly, unless you have a need for the new API's, just wait until it's released (it's expected by the end of the month). And then, to be uber safe, use kies to upgrade.

Although, at this point of time, you should probably upgrade your firmware to a newer version of eclair anyway (using kies), because JF3 is ancient, and plenty of problems were fixed in August.

ibizaGTi

May 14, 2009
Thanks for the advice guys. I thought JM8 was a Froyo release. After researching more tonight, it seems the JP releases are less than stable at the minute, so i'll stay away from them and wait for the official release.

I updated my firmware via Kies this morning, and am now running:
PDA: I9000BUJM4
Phone: I9000BUJM3
CSC: I9000GVODJM3

The system seems to be running pretty much the same as before. There is no lag etc and it all runs smooth enough.
The only problem I have is that the software updated has now filled my phone with Vodafone branding. It has the Vodafone start screen, and loads of crappy Voda apps on it.

Is there a way I can remove these? or at least make sure I get a "clean" upgrade with the next software update (would removing the SIM before updating work?

ickyboo

Oct 26, 2007
Syd
You COULD root your phone and use Titanium Backup to remove the apps you don't want. But in all honesty I say get the latest official rom that your provider has. Be it the old JF3 as when Froyo comes out and you do (fingers cross) get a problem you can get actual support. This moment in time I would recommend you do nothing but go back to JF3 and wait for Froyo. But its your device so upto you