[GUIDE] One Click How to Root the GSM & CDMA Desire with Unrevoked 3.21

OP djR3Z

21st September 2010, 01:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 622

646 posts
Donate to Me
I first want to thank everyone at UnrEVOked for what they've done. I'm posting this because the UnrEVOked post doesn't really give any instructions. Its an easy enough root, but I know I've been there before and even the simplest things can be tough if things aren't laid out. So here's a step by step tutorial.

Due to some bugs, Unrevoked 3.2 was taken down shortly after being released, but the updated version is now LIVE! So obviously we're going to bring you a video tutorial on how to do it! Thanks to the guys at Unrevoked for giving us this simple solution to rooting the GSM & CDMA Desire.

LINK TO VIDEO WALKTHROUGH FOR HOW TO ROOT THE DESIRE

◄●REQUIRED DOWNLOADS●►

◄●How to Install HBOOT Drivers (Windows Users ONLY)●►

If you're using Windows, you're going to have to install the HBOOT drivers first. You can follow this video tutorial:

and follow along with these written instructions provided by the Unrevoked team:
  1. Download the unrEVOked modified USB driver and expand it somewhere you will remember.
  2. Turn off your phone, then boot it into the HBOOT menu by holding power and volume down.
  3. On your phone, you will have to select HBOOT USB at that menu by pressing volume down four times, then power. Wait until the screen flashes through an “SD Checking” message before pressing buttons; otherwise, the phone will ignore keypresses.
  4. Connect the phone to your Windows machine with a USB cable and wait for the phone to say HBOOT USB PLUG on screen.
  5. Open Device Manager.
  6. Click Start, then right click on Computer, then click Properties, then click Device Manager.
  7. Under Other devices, you should now see the Android 1.0 device.
  8. Right click on Android 1.0 and click Update Driver Software:
  9. Click on Browse my computer for driver software.
  10. Click on Browse and select the Android USB Driver folder on on your computer, click ok, then click next.
  11. You should get a status bar indicating that the driver is installing. If you get any warnings, just click Ok.
  12. Your driver should install.
  13. Click Close and make sure Android Bootloader Interface is listed under Android Phone.

◄●Instructions●►
  1. Make sure you downloaded Unrevoked3 for your OS.
  2. If you're on Windows, make sure you "uninstall HTC Sync or any other program that might talk to the phone over USB (doubletwist, etc). They will cause problems" (Unrevoked.com).
  3. Plug your phone into your computer with USB.
  4. Drag down from the notification bar on your phone and select "Charge Only" and "Remember this"
  5. Make sure your phone has USB Debugging turned on by going to Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development and checking USB debugging.
  6. Run the Reflash application that you downloaded.
  7. Unrevoked will run its processes. Follow the few instructions it gives and thats it!

You're now rooted!
Last edited by djR3Z; 21st September 2010 at 05:35 AM.
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to djR3Z For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st September 2010, 04:54 AM   |  #2  
Flag Canberra
Thanks Meter: 15

614 posts
More
By God you guys are awesome. I was following the XDA rooting tutorials talking about downgrading hboot and goldcards before coming across this. So, thanks to your collective awesomeness, I can run this tonight and be on my merry way. First, I take it I can't backup my current stock 2.2 ROM before I have rooted it with a custom recovery image that gives me Nandroid backup capability? I'm a backup fanatic, and annoying cautious, so any tips here on before, during and after would be welcome. Or can I just go ahead, and if there are problems, I can easily restore my phone to factory state? And some links to information about the next step of installing ROMs would be welcome too, I have no idea where to turn after rooting my phone.

PS - I will donate $5 to you and the awesome Unrevoked crew, it's not much but I hope it helps and that my encouragement of others to do the same will help too.
The Following User Says Thank You to DroidBois For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st September 2010, 05:14 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 142

909 posts
Hi,
Can I root the Desire equipped with SLCD, Froyo 2.2 & HBOOT 0.93.
I'm sorry if this question is redundant
D
21st September 2010, 05:26 AM   |  #4  
Flag Austin, TX

646 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidBois

By God you guys are awesome. I was following the XDA rooting tutorials talking about downgrading hboot and goldcards before coming across this. So, thanks to your collective awesomeness, I can run this tonight and be on my merry way. First, I take it I can't backup my current stock 2.2 ROM before I have rooted it with a custom recovery image that gives me Nandroid backup capability? I'm a backup fanatic, and annoying cautious, so any tips here on before, during and after would be welcome. Or can I just go ahead, and if there are problems, I can easily restore my phone to factory state? And some links to information about the next step of installing ROMs would be welcome too, I have no idea where to turn after rooting my phone.

PS - I will donate $5 to you and the awesome Unrevoked crew, it's not much but I hope it helps and that my encouragement of others to do the same will help too.

Really appreciate the feedback bro This shouldn't affect any of your data. I can't say go forward and guarantee you that nothing will happen (there's always the chance that something goes wrong) but you shouldn't have a problem. If you're extremely nervous though, you could use appbrain to backup the apps you use(though it won't backup your data) and export your contacts to your sdcard if you aren't saving them to google. You could also buy MyBackup Pro which backs up a lot.

Click the image in my sig for The Droid Demos. There are a few tutorials you can check out for after you've rooted. More will be coming every week
Feel free to ask any questions man. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsymbol

Hi,
Can I root the Desire equipped with SLCD, Froyo 2.2 & HBOOT 0.93.
I'm sorry if this question is redundant
D

You shouldn't have any troubles.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djR3Z For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st September 2010, 08:40 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hi,
Can i use this with froyo 2.2 OTA official. HBOOT 0.92.0001
or i still need to downgrade to HBOOT 0.80 ?

thanks
21st September 2010, 01:58 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 142

909 posts
WooHoo!!!!! my phone is successfully rooted.

Thank you.

P.S. I skipped step 3.

2. Turn off your phone, then boot it into the HBOOT menu by holding power and volume down.
3. On your phone, you will have to select HBOOT USB at that menu by pressing volume down four times, then power. Wait until the screen flashes through an “SD Checking” message before pressing buttons; otherwise, the phone will ignore keypresses.
4. Connect the phone to your Windows machine with a USB cable and wait for the phone to say HBOOT USB PLUG on screen.
The Following User Says Thank You to dsymbol For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st September 2010, 03:34 PM   |  #7  
Flag Riyadh
Thanks Meter: 9

114 posts
More
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhyoga

Hi,

thanks

+1 wondering the same thing....

(btw, amoled screen here)
21st September 2010, 03:37 PM   |  #8  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Zurich
Thanks Meter: 623

696 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yes, you can.
21st September 2010, 10:23 PM   |  #9  
Flag Austin, TX

646 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thugsin313

+1 wondering the same thing....

(btw, amoled screen here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhyoga

Hi,

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickiberli

Yes, you can.

nickiberli is right. You shouldn't have any troubles Report back!
The Following User Says Thank You to djR3Z For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd September 2010, 03:20 PM   |  #10  
Flag Tehran
Thanks Meter: 1,054

10,561 posts
More
Wow thank you guys! I really needed this guide to prevent downgrading on my Desire!!!! You are awesome!!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread