5,606,409 Members 33,415 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HELP] Can't remove root after update.

Tip us?

mackeydesigns
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [HELP] Can't remove root after update.

So today was fun, after seeing mixed reports of people downloading and successfully installing the Verizon update, I tried.

It worked, then my phone went into a reboot/recovery loop, then just stopped loading. I did a factory wipe restore in the recovery menu, then did a factory data reset in the setting menu.

Reloaded all my crap back on, and now here comes the issue. Superuser still shows in the menu, but when i try to remove the files via the ABD commands, I can't, I get permission denied.

I can't get Root Explorer to work because I've obviously not rooted anymore.

So what are my options, because my phone isn't rooted, even though the root files are still in place and I can't update and/or modify those.

Thanks in advance.

OneAn9ryN00b
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Im gonna take a stab at this because im still a n00b myself on this android stuff, but i had similar problem with wireless tether.

When you updated it removed root access, but not any programs(hence you have no permissions, but still su program), so what your probably gonna have to do re-root the same way you did earlier, I actually had to re-root twice in order to get root access, because the first time it hung. Now after you get root access, you should be able to remove root through the command.

Hope this helps

WillisD
Old
Thanks Meter 26

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeydesigns View Post
So today was fun, after seeing mixed reports of people downloading and successfully installing the Verizon update, I tried.

It worked, then my phone went into a reboot/recovery loop, then just stopped loading. I did a factory wipe restore in the recovery menu, then did a factory data reset in the setting menu.

Reloaded all my crap back on, and now here comes the issue. Superuser still shows in the menu, but when i try to remove the files via the ABD commands, I can't, I get permission denied.

I can't get Root Explorer to work because I've obviously not rooted anymore.

So what are my options, because my phone isn't rooted, even though the root files are still in place and I can't update and/or modify those.

Thanks in advance.
Have you tried just deleting the files from your memory card? I unrooted once and still had the SU app showing in my app drawer. I deleted it from memory card and it dissappeared. I think it was like 4 or 5 files just delete them and reroot.

mackeydesigns
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Tried it. Don't have permission to overwrite the existing files :/

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

mackeydesigns
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
FIXED!

So I had previously tried to re-apply the root with no success, but for whatever reason, decided to do it one more time, and it worked!

Follow this again if you did it this way before.
http://androidforums.com/fascinate-a...easy-root.html

atraitees
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeydesigns View Post
FIXED!

So I had previously tried to re-apply the root with no success, but for whatever reason, decided to do it one more time, and it worked!

Follow this again if you did it this way before.
http://androidforums.com/fascinate-a...easy-root.html
Ok, I did this and it fixed EVERYTHING! I had tried a couple of times to re-do the "one click" method. Nothing worked... Now I have FULL root with FULL permissions!

THANK YOU!!

Edit: BTW, this is AFTER I did the FULL vzw update!