Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more

[HELP] Can't remove root after update.

23rd September 2010, 03:02 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

258 posts
So today was fun, after seeing mixed reports of people downloading and successfully installing the Verizon update, I tried.

It worked, then my phone went into a reboot/recovery loop, then just stopped loading. I did a factory wipe restore in the recovery menu, then did a factory data reset in the setting menu.

Reloaded all my crap back on, and now here comes the issue. Superuser still shows in the menu, but when i try to remove the files via the ABD commands, I can't, I get permission denied.

I can't get Root Explorer to work because I've obviously not rooted anymore.

So what are my options, because my phone isn't rooted, even though the root files are still in place and I can't update and/or modify those.

Thanks in advance.
23rd September 2010, 04:01 AM   |  #2  
Flag Central Maine
Thanks Meter: 80

71 posts
More
Im gonna take a stab at this because im still a n00b myself on this android stuff, but i had similar problem with wireless tether.

When you updated it removed root access, but not any programs(hence you have no permissions, but still su program), so what your probably gonna have to do re-root the same way you did earlier, I actually had to re-root twice in order to get root access, because the first time it hung. Now after you get root access, you should be able to remove root through the command.

Hope this helps
23rd September 2010, 04:05 AM   |  #3  
Flag Blackstone, Va
Thanks Meter: 36

291 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeydesigns

So today was fun, after seeing mixed reports of people downloading and successfully installing the Verizon update, I tried.

It worked, then my phone went into a reboot/recovery loop, then just stopped loading. I did a factory wipe restore in the recovery menu, then did a factory data reset in the setting menu.

Reloaded all my crap back on, and now here comes the issue. Superuser still shows in the menu, but when i try to remove the files via the ABD commands, I can't, I get permission denied.

I can't get Root Explorer to work because I've obviously not rooted anymore.

So what are my options, because my phone isn't rooted, even though the root files are still in place and I can't update and/or modify those.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried just deleting the files from your memory card? I unrooted once and still had the SU app showing in my app drawer. I deleted it from memory card and it dissappeared. I think it was like 4 or 5 files just delete them and reroot.
23rd September 2010, 04:06 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

258 posts
Tried it. Don't have permission to overwrite the existing files :/

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App
23rd September 2010, 04:18 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

258 posts
FIXED!

So I had previously tried to re-apply the root with no success, but for whatever reason, decided to do it one more time, and it worked!

Follow this again if you did it this way before.
http://androidforums.com/fascinate-a...easy-root.html
26th September 2010, 06:36 PM   |  #6  
Flag Tarpon Springs Florida
Thanks Meter: 0

40 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeydesigns

FIXED!

So I had previously tried to re-apply the root with no success, but for whatever reason, decided to do it one more time, and it worked!

Follow this again if you did it this way before.
http://androidforums.com/fascinate-a...easy-root.html

Ok, I did this and it fixed EVERYTHING! I had tried a couple of times to re-do the "one click" method. Nothing worked... Now I have FULL root with FULL permissions!

THANK YOU!!

Edit: BTW, this is AFTER I did the FULL vzw update!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread