I've been working on an app for the past couple of months. It's called Out of Milk and it is an intuitive and easy-to-use Shopping List, Spice Rack and To-Do List app. This is my first Android app, so any feedback is welcomed. I just released v1.3 to the Market (the first public version was 1.2 and it hit the Market last week for the first time). Android 1.5 and up are supported.
I've spent a lot of time making this app intuitive, easy, simple. Here is a summary of the feature from the Out of Milk website
This release focused more on getting our Pro features out there. Our next releases will be a little more balanced as far as free/Pro features are concerned. We plan on add lots of features to the free still.
- Feature: Ability to specify a product as tax free. Out of Milk will remember this in the product history so that the next time around this item will be tax free automatically.
- Enhancement: Spanish language support.
- Feature: Sync/backup your list with our servers. (Pro only)
- Feature: Manage your lists online on our website (http://outofmilkapp.com/) (Pro only)
- Feature: Real-time list sharing with other Pro users. (Pro only)
- Feature: Widget. (Pro only)
- Feature: Ability to enter coupon information. (Pro only)
Pro stuff can be unlocked by installing the Out of Milk Pro Unlocker.
- Enhancement: Barcode scanner now recognizes more items that it did before.
- Feature: Manage Product History. You can now manually add items to the Product History. This comes in handy for those who would like to setup their Product History manually.
- Feature: Move items between Shopping Lists and Pantry Lists. Prior to the update you could only move items between Shopping Lists and only between Pantry Lists. Now it is possible to move an item that is in the Shopping List to the Pantry List and vice versa.
- Feature: Scan items in the Pantry List. It uses the same scanner as the Shopping List.
- Feature: Quantity and unit is now available on the Pantry List items.
- Feature: Out of Milk comes with a barcode scanner included and no longer depends on the Barcode Scanner app from ZXing.
- Enhancement: Menu icons don’t look blurry in Android 2.3
- Enhancement: Various bug fixes and other improvements.
- Feature: The Spice Rack has been turned into a Pantry List. You can now have multiple Spice Racks. You can also create lists of essential items such as flour, sugar, etc... which aren't spices.
- Feature: More complex editing screen. The Shopping List, To-Do List and Pantry List items can now be edited in a more complex screen that allows for more information to be edited.
- Feature: Ability to set the quantity and unit. Current supported units are: lbs, oz, kg, g, L. If you think you might need another unit, let us know and we'll add it.
- Feature: Ability to set the price on products. This can help users save money when shopping. The total amount of the list will be displayed at the bottom of the list. Out of Milk will remember the price for the next time you enter the same item. You can also specify a general sales tax in the Settings screen so that the total with taxes is also display. The total with taxes isn't accurate since not all grocery items necessarily taxed. For example in Florida, water and medications aren't taxed. We plan on expanding the price feature in the future.
- Feature: Ability to set a reminder for To-Do list items. This has been a feature requested by a lot of users. Out of Milk will remind you by notification on the date and time you've set. There's also a snooze functionality that allows you to snooze the event for 9 minutes (this is configurable in the Settings).
- Feature: Using a slider that ranges from empty to full, you can now set an approximate amount for Pantry List items.
- Feature: We've added a Note text box to Shopping List, To-Do List, and Pantry List items. It's optional and you can just put in whatever notes you need.
- Enhancement: Some users didn't like having their Shopping List sortable. They would have rather have it be sorted alphabetically. We added the ability to have the Shopping List, To-Do List and Pantry List sorted alphabetically.
- Enhancement: We've improved Out of Milk's speed despite having added tons of features. Some of the slow parts of Out of Milk have had their speed increase by a factor of 3-4.
- Enhancement: Lots of new Settings and configurations.
- Bugfix: Keyboard doesn't pop up when editing an item.
- Bugfix: "Add from History" list is sorted alphabetically.
- Speech-to-Text for phones that support it.
- Enabled App2SD for Android 2.2.
- Updated the UI a bit (no more cancel button, just click back or Done on the keyboard to dismiss the textbox)
- Minor bug fix.
- Adding items is much quicker and smoother than before. Keyboard automatically opens now when adding new items.
- Shopping List History: All items you add are saved to the history. If you scan a barcode and the product could not be found, then the item you typed in will be saved the next time that barcode is scanned again. You can also view the list of history items and add them to the list.
- Ability to pick a smaller font size for all lists. To change the font size, press the Menu button on your phone on the main Out of Milk screen, then pick the Settings menu item. There you can set the font size for list items.
- Cross-out/Uncross-out all items in a list.
- Support for German, French and Dutch locale.
- Take your Shopping Lists with you everywhere in an intuitive and easy-to-use package.
- Scan products directly into your Shopping Lists using the integration with Barcode Scanner.
- An auto-complete database makes adding grocery items a breeze.
- The digital Spice Rack means you always know what spices are in your spice cabinet.
- The To-Do List lets you add and keep track of any other items on your daily list.
- Multiple Shopping Lists and To-Do Lists.
- Share your Shopping Lists and To-Do Lists by email or text message.
- Reorder your list items on the fly.
Let me know what you think and what could be improved upon. Thanks!