Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,857 Members 44,587 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] A2EXT Froyo

Tip us?

acejoker25000
Old
(Last edited by acejoker25000; 6th December 2010 at 03:47 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
Default [MOD] A2EXT Froyo

ATTENTION: Cyanogenmod version 6.1.0 has A2EXT support built into the rom so an edited boot.img is no longer needed just flash the add-on to enable it and also you must do the commands to move dalvik-cache to the EXT partition as well...
Thank You for reading this if you actually took the time to!

Ok so i decided to post some things on here. Let me explain why I did things the way I did first of all. I decided to only edit the boot.img in each of the froyo roms that we all use and post those here along with a flashable .zip file that allows you to activate apps2ext on froyo roms. I did it this way to show respect to the developers of the roms by not stealing there downloads with my own. Doing it this way means that you have to download the actual rom from them which I hope makes things better for them.

You will need to already have an EXT partition setup already to be able to do this.

To any Dev if you do not like me doing this to your rom then by all means PM me and i will remove it ASAP.

To any downloader/user if there is a rom that you want me to include that isn't or a rom that isn't Froyo let me know and i will try to get that for you ASAP.

Credit for this goes to the Dev's of each rom and the darktremor a2sd method maker:
Cyanogen and teamdouche
Tkirton
Arayray
r0man
infinitybiff
migueltherocker
XDA of course!! :D
Everyone that uses my edits
If i didn't mention you then PM me i will add you.

Now on to the Goods:
All of these are just boot.img from each rom. This is not an one for all boot.img type thing because each rom could have done something to the boot.img that may cause a bootloop if added to a different rom.

Rename each to boot.img and place into your rom.
After that you don't actually have to do any resigning since we all are using clockwork recovery just make sure its setup to allow flashing without signatures.
This only supports EXT2 or EXT3 which is pretty much all slide users have considering its nothing new.
Download the a2sd.zip and flash it at any time after you get your base rom flashed.
I will try to keep these updated to the latest versions if there is enough demand for them. Also i will try to keep the latest 3 nightlies up-to-date.

Boot.imgs:

Boot Images Here

A2sd Enabling package

Instructions:

OK as stated above these are only boot.img.
You need to rename each to just boot.img and place them inside the rom you like.
Make sure you wipe everything and do a fresh install it helps a lot to do everything fresh. (if your worried about apps use titanium backup or some other backup app)
Flash the a2sd add-on

Once the add-on has been flashed and there aren't any problems there are a few ways to enable actual a2ext.
You can either use adb or a terminal app on your phone.
If using adb phone can be turned on or in recover with system mounted.

once you pick a way here are the commands:

(if using a terminal app skip steps 1, 2, 5, 6)
1. ./adb remount (windows: adb remount)
2. ./adb shell (windows: adb shell)
Su will be needed for terminal app and may be needed for adb method(just do it in case its needed)
3. cd /system/bin/
4. sh a2sd reinstall
some things will popup and phone should reboot
5. once rebooted ./adb remount
6. ./adb shell
7. cd /system/bin/
8. sh a2sd cachesd
more things will popup and phone should reboot. The last reboot can take 5 minutes or longer especially if you already had apps downloaded. I know on a fresh install it can take what seems like ages.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to acejoker25000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

acejoker25000
Old
(Last edited by acejoker25000; 2nd October 2010 at 05:17 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
saved just in case may use this for non froyo roms or requested roms

Through some experimenting i have found out that just including the boot images into the roms without flashing the add-on pack could cause your phone to stick at the boot screen so you should always flash the add-on

Teamfenix 1.7.1 for those people that use it because they need tether support

The best backup app i have found is mybackup pro and activate the root privileges. if you dont have paid apps or just dont wanna pay it there is a free version but it only lasts a certain amount of time. it restores all apps and data without causing market problems like i have experienced with titanium backup. either/or they are both good apps but everyone has a preference.

migueltherocker
Old
Thanks Meter 24

DONATE TO ME
This is great man, thanks. You saved me the time and trouble of incorporating it myself.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagantek View Post
From migueltherocker? yes, i'd like to try that. thanks
T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide (HTC Espresso) [The little engine that could] -> T-Mobile HD2 (HTC Leo) [Can do anything!... kindof] -> HTC Thunderbolt (Mecha) [So fast! When it's not overheating/rebooting...]
The Following User Says Thank You to migueltherocker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

acejoker25000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by migueltherocker View Post
This is great man, thanks. You saved me the time and trouble of incorporating it myself.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App
lol thanks i just noticed a lot of people want it so i figured this way is easier although i could upload each individual rom with it already enabled and ready to run but i thought that might step on a few toes around here

arayray
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 95

DONATE TO ME
great work! ill add a link to my post if you dont mind
Devices:
Droid Maxx - Verizon
Asus Transfomer

acejoker25000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by arayray View Post
great work! ill add a link to my post if you dont mind
thats ok with me

SiL3nTKiLL
Old
Thanks Meter 67
cool mod, gonna give ita shot!
Phones:
1. Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
2. iPhone 4S
Tabs:
Apple iPad 2
Galaxy Tab 10.1

acejoker25000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiL3nTKiLL View Post
cool mod, gonna give ita shot!
let me know how it works out for you. also updated first post with the 2 9/26 nightlies and 2nd post with the teamfenix 1.7.1 boot image

faylix
Old
Thanks Meter 64
just to be clear, we need to have the ext partition setup before trying this right? it won't make it for us?

I didn't think so... just wondering hahaha

Thanks guys!

you rock!

- faylix / local

daniel60104
Old
Thanks Meter 77

DONATE TO ME
Just wondering... what's the difference b/w app2ext and app2fat? It seems like app2ext is better since people tend to want it o_O

And also, if we want to partition app2ext, we can just do so via rom manager, right?