Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,526 Members 50,127 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Worried No Reviews out yet

Tip us?

justmeinit
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Worried No Reviews out yet

as it stands im torn between getting the Desire Hd or the SGS, With this phone just less than 2 weeks away from launching. I find it strange that its not been reviewed yet by the likes of Engadget or GSMArena i would have thought HTC would have sent out a Review handset even with BETA firmware. The way its looking it will be onsale before its even been reviewed. I want to read a few reviews before making my mind up on which handset to get. I want a handset that takes good photo'S and videos and i know the SGS is great there but im put off with the problems GPS,LAG etc. I was hoping the DHD would be good but ive got a feeling that the samsung will be better for photo's and videos. Then again i know that HTC will most probably have more updates and the most likly to get gingerbread. Oh this is hard

Volker1
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Look! The database ate yesterday's replies!

Engadget is a US-only site and certainly won't review a phone that doesn't support their oddball 3G frequencies.

SupremeBeaver
Old
Thanks Meter 292

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volker1 View Post
Look! The database ate yesterday's replies!

Engadget is a US-only site and certainly won't review a phone that doesn't support their oddball 3G frequencies.
That's not necessarily true. Engadget reviewed the original Desire and the Legend.

Volker1
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeBeaver View Post
That's not necessarily true. Engadget reviewed the original Desire and the Legend.
True, but with the old Desire it was clear that it would be available in the US later (and, in fact, currently is in a CDMA-version). I don't know why they reviewed the Legend without mentioning the 3G bands supported, though

stormfury_2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The DHD is basically Europe's etc EVO 4G without the LTE bands (from what I've read and seen). So I'm hedging my bets that the DHD and EVO will perform very similarly in regards to camera and video quality. Performance wise I've heard the DHD is better than the EVO but I can't remember the exact benchmark results, I'm sure googling knows the answer though.

SupremeBeaver
Old
Thanks Meter 292

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormfury_2 View Post
The DHD is basically Europe's etc EVO 4G without the LTE bands (from what I've read and seen). So I'm hedging my bets that the DHD and EVO will perform very similarly in regards to camera and video quality. Performance wise I've heard the DHD is better than the EVO but I can't remember the exact benchmark results, I'm sure googling knows the answer though.
Im forced to disagree with your opinion on camcorder similarities. The EVO records up to 23 fps. If u see the vids it looks really choppy and not smooth at all.

I'll agree with many people here that, from what we've seen, the quality of the DHD isnt great, but it keeps a solid 30 fps throughout the clip and is far more smooth than the EVO (or any other HTC phone for that matter).

stormfury_2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
May be so but the actual hardware are identical in specs if you compare them on paper. May just be firmware or driver differences that make the difference in recording. (but honestly I don't know I'm just comparing the specs of both phones).

Volker1
Old
Thanks Meter 77
DHD and Evo have nothing in common except for the 4.3" screen. But that doesn't change the public perception that they are similar... even Engadget proclaimed that the DHD is "an Evo for the rest of the world". But then, as their recent editorials have shown, Engadet editors aren't too technically apt

christonabike
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormfury_2 View Post
May be so but the actual hardware are identical in specs if you compare them on paper. May just be firmware or driver differences that make the difference in recording. (but honestly I don't know I'm just comparing the specs of both phones).
I'm not sure where you got that idea. The processor speed may be the same but it's a different CPU / GPU (and the GPU is a *lot* faster).

stormfury_2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am well aware the CPU and GPU are newer and much more efficient. My point in reply was that the physical camera could easily be the same model used in the EVO. As people have seen with the N1 and Desire a software update can bring in new features such as the 720p recording and so on.

Anyway I wouldn't be worried about the lack of reviews. HTC may be preventing the reviews from being published until release, it isn't unknown for companies to with hold reviews at their discretion for whatever reason. I wager the review units are out their and being played with and put through their paces right now and when ready you will see them in print and online.