FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[APP] Mount system dir

4,088 posts
Thanks Meter: 821

By appelflap, Recognized Developer on 26th September 2010, 10:41 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
App. to mount the system dir with r/w permission (especially for new(-er) Froyo versions)
Mount the dir at demand, or tell the app to mount it every time the Android shell is loaded.
update: added an option to remount the dir as r/o

On the Android market (free)
Scan:

or search for mount system

The program is called mount /system (rw / ro)

----
(Repost because during a maintenance this night xda-dev has restored a backup from 24 hours ago.)
Last edited by appelflap; 7th October 2010 at 08:46 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to appelflap For This Useful Post: [ View ]

26th September 2010, 11:36 AM |#2  
Flag Cardiff
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Ah, I've just rooted my phone and now need to install Busybox, but I need to mount the system as rw, but Terminal Emulator is fc on me, will this work in its place?
26th September 2010, 11:43 AM |#3  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Utrecht

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sionyboy

Ah, I've just rooted my phone and now need to install Busybox, but I need to mount the system as rw, but Terminal Emulator is fc on me, will this work in its place?

Should work. It doesn't depend on busybox so.. give it a try.
26th September 2010, 12:38 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 78

More
ah didn't know XDA crashed, thought i'm having a deja vu of some sort. again, this is excellent and thank you
4th October 2010, 09:13 PM |#5  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Utrecht

More
Update: Added an option to remount the system dir for r/o access.
The Following User Says Thank You to appelflap For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th October 2010, 11:25 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Anyone got an idea why this isn't working on my phone (just like every other mounting script or tool)? I got an I9000 running JM8 and stock kernel Voodoo. It doesn't report an error, but I still can't delete anything from system folder.
4th October 2010, 11:47 PM |#7  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Utrecht

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetJumble

Anyone got an idea why this isn't working on my phone (just like every other mounting script or tool)? I got an I9000 running JM8 and stock kernel Voodoo. It doesn't report an error, but I still can't delete anything from system folder.

Interesting. I assume you have busybox installed? It comes with the standard update.zip rooting method. If so, it surely is a kernel thing. I'm running jm8 myself on a Sgs I9000, and I've no problems.
5th October 2010, 10:18 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Using this since you released the first version, works flawless so far
Thanks alot!
5th October 2010, 10:45 AM |#9  

More
I just realized that there does seem to be a way to write to system partition on my phone: titanium backup is deleting unwanted system apps just fine. :-/
5th October 2010, 05:43 PM |#10  
Flag Hubli
Thanks Meter: 156

More
Great program, solved a LOT of problems for me.
7th October 2010, 08:45 AM |#11  

More
Hmmm... further investigation showed: this works just fine for me, as do some other tools. It worked by using a terminal emulator, which I consider way to cumbersome for file management. I thought I could just make the system partition rewritable and use any tool capable of browsing there to e.g. delete unwanted crap (like most of the ringtones). But it doesn't work that way, the tool still seems to need SU rights as well.

So I have to ask you appelflap: what is the primary purpose of this tool? If the file manager needs to be root capable on itself, I only know of Root Explorer (which can make system RW just fine, but costs money) or EStrongs File Explorer (which asks for some outrageous access rights). On a terminal emulator or ADB, I can just remount by adding a single line. Please give me a use case for your tool, is it just to save writing/pasting a single line?

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread