WHOA, Im ecstatic!
You did it!
I confirm this solution to be working on my favorite ROM solution...
VirusROM BASE SENSE RC3 with Carbon Theme...
I could not use the adb push method as I am on the road and forgot to grab my micro usb cable...
1. I used Root Explorer to first delete mms.apk from /system/app
2. I copied mms.apk to /system/app
3. Using Root Explorer I over wrote default.xml/system/customize/MNS/default.xml
A. To my surprise I did not have a messaging app in the app drawer upon boot?
B. Using Root Explorer I navigated my SD card to folder I had placed mms.apk and launched mms.apk thus installing.
6. Downloaded and installed APN Backup, removed current apn.
7. I used the above posted APN.xml after modifying the "red" string with my info, thanks deathsled provided and apn.xml
I figure some of the steps may not be necessary how ever I documented the exact process and procedure in which I now have functioning MMS..
tritron777 Major props to you man!!! You just killed it man!!!!