Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,416 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DISCUSSION][SOLVED] ROOTING G2 Vision T-mobile

Tip us?

spyz88
Old
Thanks Meter 32
We could really use Haykuro on this one. He could always solve problems like this. He's like superman.

PlankLongBeard
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hah2110 View Post
So this is what is going on? http://gizmodo.com/5656921/t+mobiles...er-a-jailbreak

This is nuts. We need Cyanogen and Modaco to get on this.
+1 On this... I just got the thing for the wife last night... then wake up to this ish, I'm like we gave up Verzion the Droidx cause of this non-sense. Well, I hope Modoco and Cyanogen get on this soon too... First the selling point of interchangeable roms from HTC, now we raped like the big red machine. Its cool tho, this is an HTC and development has that rule set straight. Its ours, not yours after we paid for it.

Algernon
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarbear View Post
Some people (particularly over in the T-Mobile forums) are quoting this post and pointing to the 4407296 number as being proof of a 4G chip and that this means it is somehow accessible to the kernel. I just wanted to clarify that that number is probably simply reporting the size of the mmcblk0 partition in 512-byte blocks since that number happens to be exactly double the number that /proc/partitions reports. Is that a fair assessment of these numbers?

In other words, the only confirmation we have of the 4GB part is the partial teardown that found it and these numbers are simply further ways to confirm that the system only sees 2.1-ish GB of it. Correct?
That seems to be the case. This is from the data sheet for the iNAND:

Quote:
The size of a write block in the iNAND device is 512B
and

Quote:
The iNAND offers the possibility for the host to configure additional split local memory partitions with independent addressable space starting from logical address 0x00000000 for different usage models.
http://omapworld.com/iNAND_e_MMC_4_4...1_0%5B1%5D.pdf

Algernon
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbcoder View Post
Is it certain that this protection is at the SPL/radio/MMC level and not at the BOOT level? Has anybody actually examined the contents of the boot partition for a nasty-script?
From the same SanDisk data sheet I mentioned above:

Quote:
2.9. Enhanced Write Protection
To allow the host to protect data against erase or write, the iNAND supports two levels of write protect command:

• The entire iNAND (including the Boot Area Partitions, General Purpose Area Partition, and User/Enhanced User Data Area Partition) may be write-protected by setting the permanent or temporary write protect bits in the CSD.

• Specific segments of the iNAND may be permanently, power-on or temporarily write protected. Segment size can be programmed via the EXT_CSD register.

For additional information please refer JESD84-A441 standard.

lbcoder
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by digikid View Post
If I temp root my g2, where is the boot script located? I know how to read it, just don't know where it is.
The boot *PARTITION* is what is needed, and recovery would be good as well. mmcblk0p22 is boot, p21 is recovery. Dumping both of those would be useful.

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21 of=/sdcard/recovery.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22 of=/sdcard/boot.img

There is also an interesting partition labelled as "devlog" at p28. Any luck and it might actually have a log of what's doing with the "restore" problem.

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p28 of=/sdcard/devlog.img
(note: devlog *could* have sensitive information, but probably doesn't. Up to you whether you want to share it or not)

lbcoder
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyz88 View Post
We could really use Haykuro on this one. He could always solve problems like this. He's like superman.
Keep that lecherous punk kid away from here! He never solved anything and led a LOT of people into a brick.

paulobrien
Old
Thanks Meter 5681
I've had a mooch through the boot image, nothing obvious there...

P
Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien

Follow MoDaCo Android on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

funkadesi
Old
Thanks Meter 15
+1 for HTC and T-Mo for giving us a REAL challenge....
Current:
Galaxy Nexus GSM

Sold/Retired:
HTC AMAZE 4G
HTC Vision/G2
Blackberry 8900
HTC MyTouch 3G
HTC TyTN II
Nokia E61i
HTC Wizard
Nokia N71
Nokia 6600

chaoticaffinity
Old
Thanks Meter 0
What if its something simple like making the exact same write x times in a row. The first time triggers the write protect. The second time lets the system know it should get ready to make the change and the third time it changes.

lbcoder
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulobrien View Post
I've had a mooch through the boot image, nothing obvious there...

P
How about recovery? Since recovery theoretically must be able to make permanent writes? Is recovery also protected? How about boot, is boot protected? Misc *can't* be protected, nor can cache (write protect would defeat their purposes), and between misc and cache, it should be possible to write an SPL....

Did somebody say they had an engineering SPL from somewhere? It might have been from that leaked dump or something.... An engineering SPL should be able to boot an unsigned recovery or boot image.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe