Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,911 Members 49,262 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DISCUSSION][SOLVED] ROOTING G2 Vision T-mobile

Tip us?

lbcoder
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tien28 View Post
Come on guys! you can do it! Gizmodo and Engadget reported it non-rootable, but i know the smart minds at xda can root this machine, and root it to the ground!

Just think of how accomplished you guys will feel when gadget blogs around the world ( like acclaimed gizmodo and engadget) will give praise for a job well done.

The reinstalling rootkit is just another program, and with enough dedication all programs can be hacked.

Horns and trumpets will sound when you fine hackers prevail over this communist dictator who tells you what you can or cant do on your own device. Return the definition of open source, and give justice to the G2.

~cheers, a fan of root
There IS NO REINSTALLING ROOTKIT!!!!

Don't you get it? It is simply WRITE PROTECTED with REDIRECTED WRITES!

fastludeh22
Old
Thanks Meter 30

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbcoder View Post
Unfortunately, no. You didn't get anything to stick.
What you did is this;
You deleted the apk from the system partition, which caused it to be UNINSTALLED from the USERDATA partition, and then installed a different apk with a different SIGNATURE. It didn't work because it isn't signed with system keys, but its non-system signature is installed to the userdata partition. When you rebooted, the one from the system image came back with its system signature, which doesn't match the signature now stored in your userdata partition, and so it doesn't work.

In other words, you just screwed up the signature in the userdata partition.

Nice try though.
Ahh, makes sense, too bad. So I was gonna pm u as to not clog this theard with other info to ask how I can fix this so ican have flash back, but then decided it might be good to have in here since others might have done something similar...so what should I do? Thanks
if ya feel the need paypal is fastludeh22@yahoo.com

tux racer
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbcoder View Post
There IS NO REINSTALLING ROOTKIT!!!!

Don't you get it? It is simply WRITE PROTECTED with REDIRECTED WRITES!
That doesn't mean rooting is impossible. Someone will find a way to trick it into believing that nothing has been changed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

Algernon
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrij4 View Post
Wouldn't it be logical to expect that the Desire Z would not have this "feature". It seems that the secured memory used to "unroot" at boot explains the extra 2GB present in the G2 vs the Desire Z. Funny that they would brag up the 4GB memory as an advantage when it's actually there to make room for this counter-consumer trickery!
There's a 2Gb version of this chip, the SDIN5D2-2G. Another option is that it's the same chip, but being marketed differently so that people aren't screaming about their missing 2 gigs. After all, it's not like T-Mobile is known for their savvy marketing skills.

MrNameless
Old
Thanks Meter 41
I didn't read all 49 pages, but i understood by the title what is the meaning if this topic: if we spoof the root or the custom rom?
Follow Me on Twitter

If you like my hard work and the time it takes me, please consider buying me a coffee!

AndroidITA .com
<--- My site About Android

Ex Maintainer of GingerS ROM for Nexus S

oneponyshow42
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux racer View Post
That doesn't mean rooting is impossible. Someone will find a way to trick it into believing that nothing has been changed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App
Hey, reminds me of my ex wife!

Keep going team, I know that XDA will crack the G2 egg wide open

harrij4
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
There's a 2Gb version of this chip, the SDIN5D2-2G. Another option is that it's the same chip, but being marketed differently so that people aren't screaming about their missing 2 gigs. After all, it's not like T-Mobile is known for their savvy marketing skills.
Exactly what I'm saying! It's reasonable to think that the Z has the 2GB chip and doesn't participate in these shenanigans and the G2 has the 4GB chip to make room for the extra partition. The end result is the same amount of user-accessible space.

donboyfisher
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
No, what this is, is simply redirected writes. rmt_storage == ReMoTe STORAGE.... store your changes in a remote location -- outside of the system partition.

When the thing reboots, all that happens is the secondary storage is wiped clean. The actual system image is only in one place, it is just write protected.
Ah ok, i understand.

So what happens when the phone is running normally and it tries to do a write to a directory within the read-only system image? Does the write simply get re-directed to the remote location. If you then go to read that, how does the system know its in the remote location and not in the system image partition. What makes it different?

( and why would a write be allowed in the first place if its a read-only partition ? )

Cel1084
Old
Thanks Meter 46
There is too much chatter going on here!
You guys need to get to work. I want a root by the end of the week

Shano
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I don't have my G2 yet so I can't exactly test this, but has anyone tried patching the running kernel, ala ksplice?

Since we can get temp root, and its the software, the kernel thats doing the redirects writes, can we objdump the kernel, dig in a little deeper to where its happening, and patch the kernel while its running to disable that functionality?

Just throwing ideas out there ..

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe