Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,463 Members 39,751 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Car Cradle Application

Tip us?

DoyleChris
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Car Cradle Application

I have had the Fascinate now for about 2 weeks and love it. First time on the android operating system and getting used to it. I have had windows mobile before.

The question i got is the Car Cradle Application on android 2.1 that comes on the phone is nice since me and the wife travel alot, but what gets me is that the navigation button in the middle of the screen goes to VZNavigator. I ave google maps installed and trying to find Nav & Go to install on it but i would like to change the button on the car cradle to go to google maps or another navigation app besides VZNavigator any idead how to do that.

ksizzle9
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Yup. Root, uninstall vz navigator, Bing, and it will default to Google maps

they call me...kick ass

je2345
Old
Thanks Meter 20
hmm...so I did what you said and my car cradle app FC's whenever I select View Map, Voice Search, and Navigation. How did you get yours to work? I have uninstalled VZNav and bing.

fascination
Old
(Last edited by fascination; 28th September 2010 at 08:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
The app still looks for vzw navigator and bing which is why it FC's. Take a CarDock.apk file out of a deodexed 2.1 ese81 build and move it to system/app/ with root explorer. This will give you google car dock. The only glitch I have found is it FC's when you click the contacts button but all the Google stuff works.

DeezNotes
Old
Thanks Meter 180
I use this one: http://www.appbrain.com/app/car-dock...k.ig88.carhome

scottishwarrior
Old
Thanks Meter 27
This app was posted in the vibrant section a while back. It's a samsung app that someone downloaded from the market. I installed google maps prior to installing this and then renamed cardock.apk in the system/apps folder. Install the file and you will another version of the car dock. It looks the same except it doesn't have the home button. The maps and navigation buttons link to google maps. The voice search opens google search. The contacts button opens contacts just like the original dock. The regular search button opens bing in the browser.

http://db.tt/pixCKD2

Here's a screen shot.

Sent from my Fascinate

jessie02
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishwarrior View Post
This app was posted in the vibrant section a while back. It's a samsung app that someone downloaded from the market. I installed google maps prior to installing this and then renamed cardock.apk in the system/apps folder. Install the file and you will another version of the car dock. It looks the same except it doesn't have the home button. The maps and navigation buttons link to google maps. The voice search opens google search. The contacts button opens contacts just like the original dock. The regular search button opens bing in the browser.

sent from my Fascinate
I installed the app you posted, but it looks nothing like your screenshot. Mine displays 6 basic boxes?

jessie02
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fascination View Post
The app still looks for vzw navigator and bing which is why it FC's. Take a CarDock.apk file out of a deodexed 2.1 ese81 build and move it to system/app/ with root explorer. This will give you google car dock. The only glitch I have found is it FC's when you click the contacts button but all the Google stuff works.
That worked great, thanks for the tip!! Wish I could figure out the contacts though.....

RacerXFD
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie02 View Post
I installed the app you posted, but it looks nothing like your screenshot. Mine displays 6 basic boxes?
Same Story...

namebrandon
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Not sure if you're following this story or not, but Google just released a standalone cardock.apk. It's supposedly in the market, but I haven't seen it yet. Hopefully it's not just for froyo.