[THEME l MOD] Transparent widget skins. Pandora, Weather Channel, Facebook + Requests

OP ilangoadigal

4th October 2010, 02:32 AM   |  #21  
Flag Indianapolis
Thanks Meter: 231

3,349 posts
Donate to Me
More
Evernote, huh? Never used it, but, I think I'll give it a shot. Thanks for this!

Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got some hot Froyo on Hero action here!
4th October 2010, 04:17 AM   |  #22  
Flag Utah
Thanks Meter: 19

264 posts
More
These are really good. I like them a lot.

Is there anyway for you to post instructions on how to do this? Or... if you want, could you make dClock transparent? I love the widget... but don't like how you can't make the background completely transparent.

Thanks for your help, and good job!
4th October 2010, 05:47 AM   |  #23  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 51

573 posts
More
yeah! and if anyone wants to try for a Beautiful Widgets transparent, i'd be grateful
4th October 2010, 06:11 AM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 3

86 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Dragon

yeah! and if anyone wants to try for a Beautiful Widgets transparent, i'd be grateful

Beautiful Widgets has an option built in to make the widget transparent ... at least the home and smaller home, which to be fair are the only I use.
4th October 2010, 02:56 PM   |  #25  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 107

275 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdavies

These are really good. I like them a lot.

Is there anyway for you to post instructions on how to do this? Or... if you want, could you make dClock transparent? I love the widget... but don't like how you can't make the background completely transparent.

Thanks for your help, and good job!

I'll take a look at dClock. But yes, I can give you a general guide how to do this. You'll need 7zip and apkManager, the second of which can be found on the forums if you search.

1. Transfer the apk from your phone to your computer. It's probably in a place like data/app.
2. Open the apk with 7zip. Do not extract the whole thing, just open it. Inside you'll see a folder called "res"; transfer that somewhere on your computer.
3. Inside the res folder you'll see a bunch of folders. The images you want to edit are usually in a folder labeled "drawable", but you may have to look elsewhere
4. Find the background image you want to edit. It might be labeled widget_bg or something helpful like that.
5. Edit it how you want. In the case of transparency, you want to delete the background and make it entirely transparent. Save it in the same format and do not change the name. (Note- if your file has .9.png in it, you have to open your edited version using draw9xpatch or whatever in the Android SDK and save it through that as well)
6. Drag the res folder with your modified images back into the archive, using 7zip. You might want to use a duplicate of the apk, just to have the original on hand in case something goes wrong.
8. Place the modified apk into the place-apk-here-for-modding folder in the APK Manager folder
9. Open up script.bat. Select your project using option 22.
10. Do the following things- Extract APK (1), Zip APK (3), zip as regular apk (2), sign apk (4)

At this point you should have a signed version of the apk in the place-apk-here-for-modding folder. You can transfer it to your phone now and install it. Or install it directly onto your phone through apk manager if you have ADB enabled.
Last edited by ilangoadigal; 18th November 2010 at 04:52 AM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ilangoadigal For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th October 2010, 03:54 PM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 0

64 posts
More
Whenever I try to install your "signedcom.weather.transparent.01.apk" it says "installing.." and after a few seconds I get "Application not installed" and I'm only able to click Okay.
Last edited by esset; 4th October 2010 at 04:03 PM.
4th October 2010, 04:58 PM   |  #27  
Flag Indianapolis
Thanks Meter: 231

3,349 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by esset

Whenever I try to install your "signedcom.weather.transparent.01.apk" it says "installing.." and after a few seconds I get "Application not installed" and I'm only able to click Okay.

Do you have any other version of twc installed? If so, uninstall then try.

4th October 2010, 05:25 PM   |  #28  
Thanks Meter: 0

64 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by user7618

Do you have any other version of twc installed? If so, uninstall then try.

Thanks for answering, though the only weather-related widget I have installed is Beautiful Widgets.
Just tried uninstalling Beautiful Widgets and installing twc again, but gives me the same error message.
4th October 2010, 05:28 PM   |  #29  
Flag Utah
Thanks Meter: 19

264 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangoadigal

I'll take a look at dClock. But yes, I can give you a general guide how to do this. You'll need 7zip and apkManager, the second of which can be found on the forums if you search.

1. Transfer the apk from your phone to your computer. It's probably in a place like data/app or data/data or the like
2. Open the apk with 7zip. Do not extract the whole thing, just open it. Inside you'll see a folder called "res"; transfer that somewhere on your computer.
3. Inside the res folder you'll see a bunch of folders. The images you want to edit are usually in a folder labeled "drawable", but you may have to look elsewhere
4. Find the background image you want to edit. It might be labeled widget_bg or something helpful like that.
5. Edit it how you want. In the case of transparency, you want to delete the background and make it entirely transparent. Save it in the same format and do not change the name. (Note- if your file has .9.png in it, you're dealing with something else. I can't really help you on this)
6. Drag the res folder with your modified images back into the archive, using 7zip. You might want to use a duplicate of the apk, just to have the original on hand in case something goes wrong.
8. Place the modified apk into the place-apk-here-for-modding folder in the APK Manager folder
9. Open up script.bat. Select your project using option 22.
10. Do the following things- Extract APK (1), Zip APK (3), zip as regular apk (2), sign apk (4)

At this point you should have a signed version of the apk in the place-apk-here-for-modding folder. You can transfer it to your phone now and install it. Or install it directly onto your phone through apk manager if you have ADB enabled.

Thank you very much for the info.

I looked inside the apk for dClock and the only image that's in the res folder... is the icon. lol So, I don't know what to do.
4th October 2010, 06:24 PM   |  #30  
Flag Fort Collins
Thanks Meter: 70

595 posts
More
Could somebody do the weatherchannel app but with a black background at 30% transparency?

Thanks

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread