5,596,235 Members 35,866 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Instructions to Root G2 [Temp Root]

Tip us?

hendusoone
Old
(Last edited by hendusoone; 15th October 2010 at 06:24 PM.) Reason: Added note about and link to VISIONary
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default [GUIDE] Instructions to Root G2 [Temp Root]

NOTE: The below info is all pretty outdated now that the fantastic Paul O'Brien has created a one-click temp root app called VISIONary. I recommend using that - get it from his thread! In case you don't want to do that (what are you, some kind of masochist?), or want to see the old way of getting temp root, keep reading this thread.

Insert the usual disclaimers about "if this breaks your device, it's not my fault... do this at your own risk... voiding warranty... etc."

Note that for now, this is a TEMPORARY root. And things are now well over my head... I just got lucky with figuring out the first few steps. For now, I'm going to leave it to the fantastic folks over in the thinktank thread to figure out how to make this permanent, and will help out wherever I can.

Update 10/6/2010:

Per suggestions later in the thread, I've compiled a zip file of everything needed to set up a temp root. I've also made some tweaks to the root script, included in the archive as "root" - notably, it will now create symlinks to busybox for commands not included with default android (example: cp).

Here are updated instructions to use with the attached zip file. USB Debugging needs to be enabled:

Stage 1: On your PC
1. adb push su /sdcard/su
2. adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
3. adb push rage /data/local/tmp/rage
4. adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
5. adb push root /data/local/tmp/root
6. adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/rage /data/local/tmp/busybox /data/local/tmp/root
7. Disconnect phone from pc

Here's an alternate Stage 1, thanks to Aphotix:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotix View Post
If you really want to optimize (or be lazy if you are like me), just use this batch file (for windows obviously) using the pc side of the instructions already provided.

Code:
adb push su /sdcard/su
adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
adb push rage /data/local/tmp/rage
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
adb push root /data/local/tmp/root
adb shell cd /data/local/tmp; chmod 0755 rage busybox root;
just place it inside of the G2TempRoot folder and double click. Then its just two commands on the phones terminal and you have root.
BATCH FILE DOWNLOAD HERE

Stage 2: On your phone (Assumes you have already installed Android Terminal Emulator from the market)
1. Launch Terminal Emulator
2. /data/local/tmp/rage
3. Wait for the message: "Forked #### childs."
4. Menu > Reset Term - Terminal Emulator will exit.
5. Launch Terminal Emulator, it Force Closes. Launch a second time, and you'll have a root shell
6. /data/local/tmp/root

Stage One only needs to be done once. Stage 2 needs to be repeated every time you reboot your phone.

Follow the Thinktank thread for progress on a permanent root solution.

Special Thanks:
The dude that made rageagainstthecage - http://c-skills.blogspot.com
gariak, for the ideas in the root script
rpmccormick - improvements in the later PC steps
Aphotix - Windows batch file to make the first part easier
Attached Files
File Type: zip G2TempRoot.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.02 MB, 7734 views)
Galaxy S4
The Following User Says Thank You to hendusoone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

veritas17
Old
Thanks Meter 0
You're a beast. Thank you.

G1rome
Old
Thanks Meter 1
So do we get any roms soon after rooting?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App
Black T-Moblie G1
Rom:Super D 1.11
SPL: 1.33.2005
Radio:2.22.19.26I
Theme:Super D Stock
Recovery:Amon_recovery 1.5.2

T-Mobile G2
Overclocked: 1.42 GHZ

hendusoone
Old
(Last edited by hendusoone; 1st October 2010 at 09:01 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Well, that's up to the rom developers. Will probably take time.

Note that currently, this is a TEMPORARY root. And things are starting to get a bit over my head... I just got lucky with figuring out the first few steps. For now, I'm going to leave it to the fantastic folks over in the thinktank thread to figure out how to make this permanent. I'm working to figure out what I can, but I fear my own usefulness is fading :P

(added that info to OP, since it's probably important)
Galaxy S4

Smokuevo
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Ill wait til its permanent

ceas909
Old
Thanks Meter 2
This is interesting.. you need to try to get a rooted recovery made.. from there once you get this temp root working try to flash the recovery through terminal.. if it takes then you would be able to flash rooted roms... i wonder if clockwork is working on a recovery already??...

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!!
PHONES:
LG G2x <==== ROOTED
blk MT4G/GLACIER <==== ROOTED
G2/ VISION <===== ROOTED
blk MT3G <==ROOTED- RETIRED
& blk MT3G 1.2 <==ROOTED--DROWNED
RECOVERY: CLOCKWORK
SD CARD: 16G class 6
ROM: Cyanogen's latest BITCHES!!!

OgBrog
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Whew, I was starting to think the phone might be unrootable.

sino8r
Old
Thanks Meter 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgBrog View Post
Whew, I was starting to think the phone might be unrootable.

What the heck are you talking about? This phone hasn't even been released officially and you are already tired of waiting on root? why don't you learn some stuff and crotribute to helping us get root?

Guys, I know the thought of developing on linux is scary but you can always start with simple stuff like boot animations and themes. Don't you notice how most developers have left xda because all people do here is ask and not give. quit crying, complaining, and posting stupid ****! learn to contribute!

sorry I was up all night last night and got no sleep working on trying to ROOT this damn phone and figuring out what the deal is with our missing storage space on the g2. I'm just cranky. and btw, this isn't directed just at this guy but a lot of people here. sorry to single you out. nothing personal.
evolution
HTC Wizard G3
HTC Excalibur
HTC Dream
HTC Sapphire
HTC Rhodium
HTC Espresso
HTC Glacier
HTC Vision
HTC Doubleshot
Samsung Note 2

My recent works:
2G/3G/4G/H+ icons for CM7.1 and Nightly

How to defeat data throttling

2.1 with JIT enabled on MTS

boot animation (Nexus "X"/HTC "quietly brilliant") for MTS

M9x3mos
Old
Thanks Meter 26
weird I dont know what I messed up because the commands for the phone are alot of typing so I copied that text and made a script minus the '#' symbol for all lines and when I run it can;t kill process says can't find and won't remount but if I type it into the phone working fine
here is exactly what I put in on the script for terminal on device

/data/local/tmp/busybox killall rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
/data/local/tmp/busybox cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
/data/local/tmp/busybox cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
/data/local/tmp/busybox cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
SG4 - 4.4.2 Insane or WarpDrive rom MDL bootloader
SG3 - 4.3 TW rooted
HTC One S arround in a drawer somewhere for backup

InGeNeTiCs
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sino8r View Post
What the heck are you talking about? This phone hasn't even been released officially and you are already tired of waiting on root? why don't you learn some stuff and crotribute to helping us get root?

Guys, I know the thought of developing on linux is scary but you can always start with simple stuff like boot animations and themes. Don't you notice how most developers have left xda because all people do here is ask and not give. quit crying, complaining, and posting stupid ****! learn to contribute!

sorry I was up all night last night and got no sleep working on trying to ROOT this damn phone and figuring out what the deal is with our missing storage space on the g2. I'm just cranky. and btw, this isn't directed just at this guy but a lot of people here. sorry to single you out. nothing personal.
I think you may have singled out the wrong person. As I understood it, his post was stating that he was worried we weren't going to be able to root the phone at all...intending the post to be a 'sigh of relief' if you will. There was no implication of being impatient.

And I know it's annoying when people demand stuff without contributing, but if were to open a restaurant and everything on the menu was free, guess what? You'd have a crapload of customers, and they'd all be asking for stuff for free. Once development picks up, there will be a lot less posts about people wanting root and such...just be patient. Coming from a guy who pre-ordered the g1, I think I know a little bit about waiting for good things to happen.
HomeWork

Svenska Aeroplan Aktiebolaget