Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,261 Members 37,594 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Mini Bluetooth Keyboards

Tip us?

NoDataFound
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Default [Q] Mini Bluetooth Keyboards

Has anyone considered using somethig like this? If so... w
What details can you provide?

Looking at this: amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003ZWGEW8/ref=mp_s_a_3?qid=1286173037&sr=8-3

Or this

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003TUZJN6/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1286173037&sr=8-1

theodork
Old
Thanks Meter 2
you should look into Android and bluetooth HID support. A lot of bluetooth keyboards require you to use HID bluetooth profile (which is actually a pretty standard thing) but Android doesnt natively support it.

It looks like theres a way to manually get HID bluetooth keyboards to work by typing in some command switches and maybe writing a script to semi-automate it. Or there is a for-pay program y ou can download but reviews seem to suggest it may not be reliable and might be buggy.

So in short, if the keyboard uses HID bluetooth (like my stowaway/igo bluetooth keyboard) it wont work out of the box with our phones. It'll see and try to pair, but thats the end of it.

Quite sad really, as my 5 year old Dell Axim winmo phone could do it, and so does the iphone/ipad/ipod as of a few updates back...

oswade
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Apparantly the galaxy s 2.2 supports HID according to an xda member ^_^

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...46#post8447646

theodork
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oswade View Post
Apparantly the galaxy s 2.2 supports HID according to an xda member ^_^

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...46#post8447646
thats great! I hadn't seen that. Too bad we don't have official 2.2 yet, could've been very useful for me personally too, as I'm going oversees for 1 month next week, and am going to try and not be bring a laptop.

JimJohnson
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I sent mine back to Amazon for a refund. I truly wish it worked, the keypad is almost the same dimensions as my phone and feels decent for a keypad. But I have a HTC Incredible and the device driver won't work with the Incredible's lousy Bluetooth stack.