Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Why Wont School e/gmail sync?

OP cabrone1

7th October 2010, 02:30 AM   |  #1  
cabrone1's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Troy, MI
Thanks Meter: 2
 
131 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
I have been trying to sync my school e mail, powered by g mail for quite some time, since I got the phone 2 months ago, actually. At first I (and hope i still am) thought i was simply doing something wrong.

Now, the e mail is "powered by Google" not actually a Google address, but it looks identical to my normal e mail which is indeed through Google.

It is as follows:
lastname.firstname@student.oaklandcc.edu

I tried troubleshooting it via Settings>Forwarding and POP/IMAP on the g mail page on my PC.
I turned ON both POP Download and IMAP Access, then i realized there is no support for Android via POP (according to their list of supported devices), so progressed to the IMAP settings, where, indeed, Android is supported here.

I set everything up in my phone according to their instructions here. At any rate, I cannot seem to get it to work, i get an error that reads "Authentification failed. Please verify your username/passord." It gets hung up right after I type all this jargon in
" Incoming settings
IMAP server: imap.gmail.com
Port: 993
Security type: SSL (always)"

I have verified it countless times... am I unable to get this set up because it is an odd e mail address?

Note, If i change the IMAP server to imap.oaklandcc.edu it says it cannot verify, but it does not say the password/username is erroneous
7th October 2010, 02:35 AM   |  #2  
ausch30's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Buffalo, NY
Thanks Meter: 116
 
951 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrone1

I have been trying to sync my school e mail, powered by g mail for quite some time, since I got the phone 2 months ago, actually. At first I (and hope i still am) thought i was simply doing something wrong.

Now, the e mail is "powered by Google" not actually a Google address, but it looks identical to my normal e mail which is indeed through Google.

It is as follows:
lastname.firstname@student.oaklandcc.edu

I tried troubleshooting it via Settings>Forwarding and POP/IMAP on the g mail page on my PC.
I turned ON both POP Download and IMAP Access, then i realized there is no support for Android via POP (according to their list of supported devices), so progressed to the IMAP settings, where, indeed, Android is supported here.

I set everything up in my phone according to their instructions here. At any rate, I cannot seem to get it to work, i get an error that reads "Authentification failed. Please verify your username/passord." It gets hung up right after I type all this jargon in
" Incoming settings
IMAP server: imap.gmail.com
Port: 993
Security type: SSL (always)"

I have verified it countless times... am I unable to get this set up because it is an odd e mail address?

Note, If i change the IMAP server to imap.oaklandcc.edu it says it cannot verify, but it does not say the password/username is erroneous

I just set my school email to forward to gmail and I just have my phone setup with my gmail account. I have Comcast, AOL, and school emails and I have all of them setup to forward to gmail, makes it easier having them all sent there and then to my phone.
7th October 2010, 03:15 AM   |  #3  
cabrone1's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Troy, MI
Thanks Meter: 2
 
131 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausch30

I just set my school email to forward to gmail and I just have my phone setup with my gmail account. I have Comcast, AOL, and school emails and I have all of them setup to forward to gmail, makes it easier having them all sent there and then to my phone.

this is true, but i wanted to see if there was a real fix rather than a work around.
7th October 2010, 03:26 AM   |  #4  
nukedukem's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 55
 
476 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Make sure you use the full address, not @gmail.com, i.e. toughguy @butterfliesandkisses.edu.
Also, my school uses google apps and I think I had to set up my school gmail account in some way to access it from a standard gmail login prompt. Usually there is a walkthrough on your school website.
7th October 2010, 05:43 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
157 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2009
Imap not pop.
Use tls and make sure you have the correct password and port mine is 587
7th October 2010, 07:23 AM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
304 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
I use the included exchange with my school email and it works just fine. Check with your school IT.
8th October 2010, 06:48 AM   |  #7  
cabrone1's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Troy, MI
Thanks Meter: 2
 
131 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezistrat

Imap not pop.
Use tls and make sure you have the correct password and port mine is 587

I tied that... as stated in my orig post, but thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzos4

I use the included exchange with my school email and it works just fine. Check with your school IT.

well, it is Powered by g mail, so i don't know exactly what to do... but i can try to ask some IT guys
EDIT: even with my real p word and username and and arbitrary domain it flags an error with the password and username right away
Last edited by cabrone1; 8th October 2010 at 06:51 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes